“A perfect getaway”

The Mast Farm Inn
Ranked #1 of 6 Valle Crucis B&B and Inns
“A perfect getaway”
Reviewed 27 July 2013

We stayed here for a few days in May and it exceeded our expectations. They really go out of the way to make you feel special. They personalize your experience and you can tell that they put a lot of thought into everything they do. We stayed in the inn and our room was really nice and we loved the old time radio shows. The food is also very good. Breakfast is a set menu. Dinner is amazing, highly recommend. I'm so glad we stayed at the Mast Farm Inn.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Blanca B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Reviewed 24 July 2013 via mobile

This Inn was everything we hoped for. It has very kind people working there, a lot of lovely details (you get a welcomebag with books about the area, a "quote of the day" and much more cool stuff), very pretty stylish rooms and the best restaurant. The gardens around it are beautifully arranged and taken care of. I would recommand this place to everybody!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank JaraJasper
Houston, Texas, United States
Reviewed 12 July 2013

My wife and I came here for our honeymoon in 2010, and we were so blown away that we came back the week of June 24, 2013. We stayed in the Blacksmith Shop this time -- a perfect cabin for two, with a really nice loft with a platform tub that my wife enjoyed. The breakfasts were phenomenal as well. I am gluten intolerant, so when I told the staff before we came, I was afraid that I'd miss out on some great food. This was not the case! They made plenty of things with alternative grains, including the most amazing almond flour waffles. I really can't say enough about these breakfasts. It was a two-course meal every morning. The ingredients were so fresh and vibrant -- fluffy grits and scrambled eggs with slices of heirloom tomato. (I joked with my wife before I ate one, "well, tomatos aren't supposed to taste like anything, are they" How wrong I was...). The best breakfast by far was a yogurt parfait with granola and blueberries/strawberries, with a second course of pancakes made with King Arthur flour and topped with strawberries and bacon. I didn't want to leave!

The staff was extremely helpful and catered to every need. IN addition to the help with my special diet, they did a lot of little things for me -- let me print a boarding pass, stored my birthday cake in the fridge for me, and other stuff. It was just the little things that made our trip great. We were able to enjoy Valle Crucis and not have to worry about anything -- everything was taken care of.

The location is a big plus too -- you're right down the road from the Mast Farm General Store and the Episcopal Mission isn't far either.

We're going to make this a yearly trip now! Thanks again to the staff at the Mast Farm Inn!

Room Tip: Spring for a cabin, it's definitely worth the money...and do NOT skip the breakfast, even if you...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank writingjackal
Anderson, South Carolina
Reviewed 11 July 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Mast Farm Inn for a week to celebrate our 25th anniversary. Having stayed a full week, I believe we experienced most everything the Inn has to offer. I have since read all the negative reviews and some of the outstanding reviews on this site and management's responses to these reviews.

I could probably list all the same concerns found in the negative reviews when it comes to the rooms. I can also sing the same praises found in the most positive reviews. It's all based on expectations and perspective. We expected a rustic setting with charm and that is what we got.

While we were there I saved a snapping turtle from certain drowning after the turtle got stuck head first stuck in the pond overflow pipe. I also saved a bat trying to be eaten by Obi, the Inn cat (I love cats so no ill will towards Obi).

We washed our dirty clothes from a caving trip in the cool crisp creek on the property and hung them from nails on the porch of the Workwork Shop where we stayed. We could have used the Inns washer and dryer but that wouldn't have been any fun.

These are things that I think put the Inn in a different perspective.

Bottom line: Expect a big bill, but with that bill comes comfy rooms, excellent service, fantastic food, and an engaging staff. When you are spending big bucks, it is sometime easy to find complaints that ruin your stay. We decided to embrace the "Really?" moments for what they are, life happens. We found that Danielle and the staff work really hard to make this a memorable experience and they, as people with a passion for thier craft, do not disappoint.

I will say I am a little concerned about the responses of managment to the most recent negative reviews. If it was me I would try to be less confrontational in my responses when you have an unhappy customer. A B&B of this caliber can and should be a bit more gracious in responded to negative feedback.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 308DavidR
Leonia, New Jersey
Reviewed 11 July 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the Granary which is a restored barn with two full bedrooms, two baths, a big sitting room, a loft with a bed, a dining area and fully supplied kitchen. The decor was delightfully country. Lots of charm. Loved all the old wooden beams. The horse and mule outside our back deck during morning coffee was heavenly as we glanced across the field to the chicken coops where we could hear the rooster crow. The beds are so comfy. The staff is warm and friendly. Food is plentiful, filling and southern. Yummy. We had a lovely time and would definitely return.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Huntington, New York
Reviewed 9 July 2013

The Mast Farm Inn is a collection of buildings including the main house and several cottages. The staff was very helpful in recommending things to do. It also boasts a beautiful vegetable garden from which the restaurant is able to get its ingredients in season. The dinner was absolute perfection, from the delicious hot bread and pistachio pesto, through to a dense chocolate cake for dessert. I highly recommend this peaceful getaway.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed 8 July 2013

My husband and I visited the Mast Farm Inn as a short weekend getaway and came away with a new favorite! We both travel extensively for business so hotels quickly become just alike and frankly not much fun so we looked into B&B's instead. This Inn was a fabulous departure from the "usual". Everyone at the Inn was super nice, helpful and went above and beyond to make us feel special. The location of the Inn is in a very quiet area, outside the chaos of town, but still perfectly located for our daily excursions. Every meal we had at the Inn was extraordinary, even breakfast! It was so nice to see the kitchen staff actually walk out to the garden for vegetables and herbs - talk about fresh! The meals were so creative and delicious that we're STILL talking about them and Danielle's "moonshine" cocktails were terrific! This was the perfect place to disconnect "electronically" and enjoy fresh air, beautiful scenery, great food and each other's company. We're already planning our next visit, which is saying a lot since we rarely (if ever) repeat vacation locations. Thanks to all the Mast Farm Inn staff for helping us enjoy our most relaxing weekend ever!

Room Tip: The Loom House was terrific! Quiet, cozy, peaceful and very comfortable. Although rustic, it has n...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
#4 of 15 in Blowing Rock
Village Inn of Blowing Rock
Village Inn of Blowing Rock
#9 of 15 in Blowing Rock

Been to The Mast Farm Inn? Share your experiences!