Open today: 10:00 - 16:00

Very Nice Museum of The Area

rogersober
Clermont, Florida
via mobile

All reviews tar river north carolina boat ride gift shop pamlico river learning experience learn something scavenger hunt water front small town museum educational visit nice museum touch tank baby alligators clean restrooms interesting items exhibits
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Recently I took a fall river roving trip. The boat this time did not have the top up so some of the seats were wet and the top down created a bad site line as we couldn't see the views to the front just the sides.

The volunteer tour guide knew a lot about the area and provided so much information. Our ride was about 75 minutes as we couldn't go to one area because the water levels were high due to hurricane Florence and Michael.

We lucked out with perfect weather though and the views we did see were great. Reservations need to be made for the river roving and it is based on donation.

Afterwards, we went to the Estuarium and the museum is very interactive. I think the admission was $5 and it starts with a film to provide a good background of the area.

I highly recommend visiting the NC Esturaium.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

This is a wonderful view into the local ecosystem. The lobby sculpture is cool. The video is not to be missed. The alligator is very aggressive.

Reviewed 6 October 2018

The estuary is the highlight of the Washington waterfront, and the turtles - especially the snapping turtles - are the starts. If you can, visit when the sun comes out following rainfall. The Lilly pads collect water and then irridescently reflect the sunlight.

Reviewed 6 September 2018 via mobile

We had seen the estuarium mentioned in a magazine and wanted to visit it. A great break from the heat outside, they have a large piece of art in the lobby, constructed of locally excavated materials. They have a brief movie (about 10 - 15 minutes), then on to the museum itself. Quite a few things to see as you make your way through, showing how important the estuary is to the environment and area. It took a little over an hour to tour the building. Later, we returned for the boat ride, which takes about 1.5 hours. It goes down the Pamlico, then back and up the Tar River to Bear Creek. We enjoyed the ride.

We plan to go back.

Reviewed 18 July 2018

Nice little bit of knowledge. We had a 7yr old with us, and was given a scavenger hunt list to LEARN as you go thru the museum and she LOVED it. Cheaper form of entertainment.

1  Thank Frederick B
Reviewed 6 July 2018 via mobile

For an enjoyable and relaxing couple of hours touring the harbor at "Little" Washington, NC, you can't go wrong by spending time at the Estuarium, especially the River Roving tour! The history of this legendary little port city on the Pamlico/Tar rivers goes back centuries and the volunteers at the Estuarium are wonderful story tellers. Take a break and spend some time there. You'll enjoy the experience!

1  Thank Doug P
Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

This is a very interesting place to visit it offers a variety of educational topics where you can learn about the estuary and nursery grounds for marine life. You will also find how all things are tied together and why you should take care of the water. I highly recommend this for any age over 10 years old. One of the most interesting things I’ve done in Washington.

Reviewed 26 February 2018

Located on the waterfront, this is an excellent museum designed to inform visitors of the local water estuary system complete with interactive displays. While the displays were directed mostly to youngsters, they were still very informative for adults. And it is worth the entrance fee if only to hear about the massive art/sculpture in the lobby. Highly recommend this little gem.
The town of Washington has lots of free parking within easy walking to the museum. There are picnic areas and a lovely walkway on the waterfront where the Estuarium is located.

Reviewed 10 January 2018

Visited with my then 3 year old daughter, the exhibits were small but educational and the building wasn't overwhelming for her age. Staff were excellent and friendly. We were even notified of an activity by staff moments before it began so that we could participate. Overall great experience and will be sure to return!

1  Thank Jessica B
Reviewed 10 December 2017

I never knew there was such a thing as an estuarium. I'm glad we went, and also glad the admission was reasonable ($5 each). It's a small place that won't take up your whole day or even half of it, and worth a visit if you know what to expect.

The first thing that struck me was the enthusiastic welcome of the people at the registration desk, who had been wondering if anyone would venture out to a small-town museum on such a miserable winter's day. We were the only visitors, which was kind of nice. A knowledgeable volunteer started us off by explaining the incredibly elaborate lobby sculpture, which is more than a work of art. I thought it was very cool and enjoyed that. It is a great intro that will help you make sure you understand what an estuary is in the first place, providing context for the exhibits you'll see next. The Pamlico is the second largest estuary in the country.

I agree with other reviewers that the video they show you next is just pretty scenery and platitudes. We decided it was probably written by a bipartisan tourism committee. Maybe it's just meant to evoke a feeling, but 15 minutes is too much of that. They could have easily included some facts in there, so you would learn something. For example, they flash up pictures of animals and plants native to the area, but with no narration or captions even to give their names.

I learned more in the exhibits, including history and impact of hurricanes in Eastern NC, and how the shorelines are changing. I liked hearing the calls and cries of native wildlife, and seeing a couple of baby alligators. Photography is not allowed, and I'm not sure why.

The exhibits were not overly "kiddie-fied" (as my husband says), but not too stuffy either and still would be interesting for kids maybe age 8 and up. Younger kids would be very frustrated by things within reach but off limits to touch, including the colorful, anthropomorphic animals in the "food chain" display and the exhibit labeled, "This is not a touch tank."

On a nice day, it would be a good place to eat a picnic on their deck, watching the river. They were not offering their special holiday "river roving" trips that day, due to inclement weather. That sounded worth doing, on a better day. I would come back for that and bring my 12-year-old.

1  Thank Sarah G