Ocean Waves Campground
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Waves
See available hotels
  • Restaurant
  • Pool
JP Cottages(Nags Head)
View Hotel
All reviewscamp storeshort walktent sitesthe outer banksowners live on sitelabor daykitty hawkspeed limithalf the pricemid aprildog runswing setnags headbeach accessnice grassnice family ownedsmall playground
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Really nice ocean campground, get your reservations in early. Half the cost of the two bigger campgrounds right up the road. Nice cement pads in all sites (except the 4 tent sites). Not the biggest sites, but adequate. A few sites are shaded by some pine trees. The campground is basically one road in from Rt. 12 to the dunes. Easy ocean access, and a small pool and camp store. There are mosquitoes, especially when it's been rainy, but it's the outer banks, they are everywhere. Some sites are prone to flooding when the rains hit, again, it's the outer banks, not much drainage. I've stayed here 4 years now and have never had a problem with the owners like others describe, they have always been pleasant to deal with. Yes there are rules and they enforce them, this is part of the reason we really love this place. Bathrooms are small but nice and clean, and with 3 in the campground, never have had to wait for a shower.

Room Tip: They don't guarantee specific sites.
3  Thank AAAMZ
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

I love to set outside the coach with my mat....not here....our site this time was mud and dirt...rules are no mats on ground...everything very unsightly realizing there has been a lot of rain...this is a no frills cg....I personally will pay a few Xtra bucks and be a little more comfortable....oh, and no soap and hand dryers in the bath house....we used our bathroom in the coach....the plus here is personnel were friendly and when we discovered our 50 amp did not work they had it up and
running quickly....

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We stayed at this campground this past week. Needless to say you get what you pay for! We would never go back again. The sites were very wet and basically a mud puddle. Bathrooms where dirty with no soap or paper towels to wash your hands. I don't think I have that high of standards but REALLY... I don't think it's too much to ask for to be able to wash your hands in the bathroom after you use the toilet. And to get a clean shower stall you have to know when the cleaning lady has just finished up cleaning. Although, it wasn't much $ to spend nightly. I found some of the staff to be very rude. The beach was rather crowded all the time and very eroded. My husband and I took a walk down the beach and took a peek at the KOA and Camp Hatteras Resort Campground. If we were ever to take this trip again we will pay the extra money for the more suitable and clean amenities. Lastly, we where first given lot 28 which was located next to the bath house. This lot was completely under water not to mention the electrical box was too. Along with mosquito infested puddles of water. We did not except this lot and took another which was a little bit better but not by much. Lots of updates and improvements need to be made to this campground. Especially with the cleaning and maybe drainage problems that they have. The other campgrounds didn't seem to experience any of these problems. You definitely get what you pay for here along with attitude from the owners.

2  Thank SJOski2014
Reviewed 24 July 2014

My family has been staying at this campground for week long vacations at the beach every year, for the past 10 years. We book our reservations right after the first of every year and send them in together with reservations of 2 other families we like to spend time with. We have two teen-age children and bring our dogs. We have been coming back to this campground because the rates are half of the nearby KOA and Camp Hatteras Resort campgrounds. While we have always experienced the campground owners to be somewhat rude, we never really let it bother us because we hadn't yet had any issue with them directly.........until this trip.......and let me tell you, I will be paying the higher fees from now on after the way we were treated this week. While I understand that specific sites cannot be guaranteed, we were put on a site that was at the opposite end of the campground from the families we submitted reservations with. Worse yet was that the site was entirely too small for or camper (we wrote that we have 3 slides on the reservation card). There was a great deal of rain just before we arrived and the site was completely covered with water. We have always liked that the sites at this campground are paved. However, because of trees on the site we were given, I would not be able to fit on the pavement because of the slides and would have been in the water and up to axles in mud. When I asked for another site, I was told I could choose from two other sites so I felt a little better initially. Both of these sites were swamped too and I asked about two other sites nearby that seemed like they would work but was told that I couldn't take one of them (later two campers came in and took those sites; the owners had held for them) Remember I said we have been coming back for 10 years? Apparently that doesn't mean anything to the lady who owns the campground...but back to this review. So we were forced to accept a site that was completely under water except for the concrete slab we were to park on. The problem was this site had large pine trees that made it impossible to extend our slide outs unless we were right on the edge of the slab. So this is what we had to do. We ended up having to stand in mud to go up the steps so we placed a door mat to help with the mud. Shouldn't have been a problem, especially since there was absolutely no grass growing and just a large area of packed dirt and sand (you'd never get grass to grow right underneath the pines anyway right??) Well, she made such a big deal about this and came along and threw our shoes and door mat up under the camper and, before leaving, left a note highlighting her "rules". As the week went on, we had rain again and so I put the mat back because, even if they got wet, I did not want mud all over our feet. No understanding or consideration from the owner, she repeated her same actions. During the middle of or week there, another camper arrived next site over and the owner was even nastier to the couple staying there to the point where the lady was crying, angering her husband to the point he was turning red in the face. I'm sure that this campground will not have trouble filling their sites because they do charge less but they are really rude to their guests. The campground itself is small but leads to the same beach as the other campgrounds and beach house. The campground looks clean and the majority of folks camping there are in campers and motor homes. There are only a few sites for just tents. The campground is oriented to families and folks wanting a quiet campground. Perhaps the owners should get someone in there to manage the campground who is halfway pleasant and take a hands off approach themselves altogether. Read the other reviews and the negatives pretty much come from the rotten attitudes of the owners. Don't make the mistake of thinking you will at least get common courtesy as a return visitor, don't expect a refund under ANY circumstance, and accept that you are at their mercy for choice of a camp site and you'll be good to go.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank Bill N
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We stayed here right after hurricane Arthur hit. The campground stayed opened while others closed. They worked hard to make sure everyone had electricity, the bathrooms were functioning and several campers including myself helped clean debris. The pool was closed and wifi and cable were out until the next day. The bathrooms were clean. The staff was always friendly. The sites are concrete pads. It is a nice campground and we will be back. They have beach access.

Room Tip: Have bug spray if you are going to sit out at night, have a second hose to spray off sand when you get back to your RV and have a splitter so you can have water to camper and to second hose. There is a day use park 2 miles away as you head south on 12 at salvo that has great sunsets. The blue whale south of park is good for gas and some groceries, and the fishinghole a little further south of blue whale is great for fishing stuff and information. There is a food lion in Avon 16 miles south. Otherwise you are driving thirty minutes to Nags Head.
2  Thank Kevin P