“No cars in the parking lot”
Review of Down Under Restaurant & Lounge - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Down Under Restaurant & Lounge
Price range: US$6 - US$25
Description: We have a wonderful 2-story building on Route 12 in Waves. Our property extends to the Pamlico Sound to enjoy all of the water sports happening right in front of your eyes. The Triple S Tournament (Kite Boarders invitational competition in June each year)is directly in front of our property. While sitting on our large deck enjoying a drink and a meal, you won't believe the colors at sunset! We have full ABC permits and a menu that will please most appetites.
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Should have been a clue. The food was okay, nothing great. With seafood abundant in the area, this place lacked well prepared food. The only diner in our group who like the food had the baked potato skins appetizer.

1  Thank Mark C
There are newer reviews for Down Under Restaurant & Lounge

Reviewed 29 May 2014

10 years ago, when the Down Under was located at the pier, it was a GREAT place to eat. They had the best burgers I'd ever eaten. I don't know if new owners took over after the hurricane or what, but ever since it moved across Hwy 12 it has not been good. I really want to like this place. We met the owner there one year (after it moved across Hwy 12) and he told us he was from WV, so of course I want to support him and his restaurant....but I just can't. We've eaten there once a year for the past several years and it is lousy every time. This most recent trip earlier this month was no different. The place was completely empty at dinner time. Clue. I had steak ....some kind of generic cut of beef. It was tough. My husband had seafood. He said it did not taste fresh, that it tasted like it came out of a box. I asked for Heinz 57 because the steak was so bad and what the waitress brought was nasty. It was in a Heinz 57 bottle but the color was much darker than normal and I stupidly decided to try it anyway. I tasted like it had turned. I think it was so old it just went rancid. The entire experience was very disappointing, especially considering how expensive it was. We've given them multiple chances but this will be our last year dining there. I absolutely would not recommend it.

2  Thank Mrs_C_in_WV
Reviewed 22 September 2013

First time to Outer Banks.We went last night with 4 children under 6 years old and this restaurant didn't mind a bit. I had wings that were amazing and a basket of hush puppies (arguably best hush puppies ever). Kids had chicken strips and awesome fries and my husband had fish...he liked it. Not much around Waves/Salvo/Rodanthe but this was a good find. We will go back before we leave!

Reviewed 7 September 2013

Years ago Down Under Restuarant was located by the Rodanthe fishing pier. The food was wonderful and they seemed to have a very good business, especially with the hotel and pier located right by it. However, when it closed, Debbie opened a smaller restuarant on the sound called the Tiki. The food was reasonably priced and as before, outstanding. We ate there every time we visited the outer banks (every 2-3 weeks during the summer). For some reason, that closed too. We had not tried this new location, even though it has been open for several years, and decided it was time to give it a try. I called and ordered take-out. The person answering the phone didn't know what kind of fish was in their fish basket but she quickly found out for me. Food was ready for pick-up in 10 minutes. Price was high for the quantity of food we received. The mahi and fries were good. The shrimp...well the batter tasted a little rancid. I don't think we are going to try it again for another couple of years.

Reviewed 6 September 2013

The food was awful, hostess was rude, Tuna was frozen.... bye the way a seafood restaurant shouldn't advertise catch of day if the catch is from the freezer!!!! Was very disappointed and all good reviews were either A. From the owner or B. Friends of owner we had eight people at our party and not one good meal poor quality steak and very very very bad seafood STAY AWAY!!!! I do recommend Sting Wrays and Boardwalk South

3  Thank justin65716