“AMAZING”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Okay I think people are taking advantage of this small restaurant. I mean seriously you can't get a sweet restaurant with great Real Italian food down in waxhaw. I love that the owner Raymond comes and talks to us and makes us feel welcome and he cooks the food ON HIS OWN. the waitresses and waiters are very nice! I would come here every day if I could!

Reviewed 27 May 2013

Mamma Lena's is charming Old World brick building which make this place authentic...it has a lovely Italian atmosphere. I like that they care more about their food than table cloths.

We have been several times. There is rarely a wait, but the restaurant is always hopping, with most tables filled and servers hurrying about.

The owner Raymond always comes out and visits with the customers and makes you feel like a part of extended Italian family.

Our kids love to see the trains go by!

Wine is reasonably priced. The bread is fresh...so fresh.

Reviewed 25 May 2013 via mobile

We had a large pizza and it was really good. The service was good, just not the friendliest of servers. Maybe im used to the overly friendly service, and this was more of a feeling of my business was interrupting their day. There were probably only 2 or 3 tables with customers in the place, so it wasnt busy. I think I would go back, thats how good the pizza was.

Reviewed 22 April 2013

I think some reviewers are over analyzing this small local Italian American restaurant. Waxhaw has no downtown traffic and so a place like this does not get a big crowd of people. For the size of our downtown and the low traffic location it does not do badly.
Being an Italian American who speaks Italian and worked in Verona, Italy for some time I can say that although its not a fancy uptown place I would not hesitate to eat there (and do regularly) and the prices are VERY reasonable. This is not Al Fiori in New York City or La Fontanina in Verona Italy But then again you are spending $10 for an entree and not $45 in NY or 45 Euro in Italy. But if you get to Verona try La Fontanina (Michelin rates it 5 stars) or even Al Pompiere which is frequented mostly by locals for a little less money but is fantastic. Again you will spend some Euros so be prepared. Some people have made comments about the owner. I think he is a nice Italian guy who I could not say a bad word about. Does he gush over you when you enter, no. But if you walk up to him and and say hello he will be more than gracious and will respond very positively.
For me the value for the price is very high! Try it and let me know what you think.

1  Thank Lavorato
Reviewed 10 April 2013

I would like to mirror Jennifer G Statement DO NOT EAT HERE!!! Food is fair to poor but the worst part of this place is the servers and owner! The owner is rude, bitter, angry, and unaccommodating even to children under the age of 5! Servers are unprofessional and poorly trained if trained at all. We have given this place chance after chance and once again it has fallen short. I just hope the owner gets the same crap service and experiences when he eats at other restaurants. This man does not desire to have his own restaurant and I hope that this deters others from eating here. Note: Happened to us twice, this place has not change in the last two years. We are local and this is the norm not one off.