“A little piece of Jamaica in the Smokies”
Review of One Love Jamaican Restaurant - CLOSED

One Love Jamaican Restaurant
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Berkshire
“A little piece of Jamaica in the Smokies”
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Called in for lunch today and wasn't feeling all that great although my husband was hungry. Our waitress Patricia was so kind and suggested tofu curry. Never thought much of tofu before, but it was so colourful and all the vegetables were really fresh and tasty. Rice and beans were very good and cornbread delicious. I ended up eating almost all of it and felt much better for it.
My husband had jerk chicken which was very good. He opted for brown meat and it did have quite a few small sharp bones, but that's what comes of choosing the brown meat. He also tried their home made scotch bonnet sauce - he said it was really good (after he stopped steaming)!

• Visited September 2013

“So Excited for this!”
Reviewed 13 September 2013

We (party of 4) just ate here tonight. Two of us had the Jerk Chicken, one had the Roast Pork, and one had the Beef Stew. We also had collards, cabbage, peas and rice, and mac and cheese. All of us were very satisfied with everything! Took me back to our trip to Jamaica. Hope this restaurant stays in this location, we come to Maggie Valley alot.

• Visited September 2013
Hendersonville, North Carolina
“Real home style Jamacan!”
Reviewed 28 August 2013 via mobile

Don't expect artsy stacked and trendy plates. This is home cooking style with Jamacan taste. We have loved them since they were in Hendersonville. Love the curry chicken. And the collards are tasty. The cornbread is unique and the stew pork or chicken it a real treat. Ask for an extra napkin or two. You will need them! mmmm good!

Visited August 2013
Canton, North Carolina
“Continuing Evaluation”
Reviewed 11 August 2013

I have loved the food from One Love for a few years. They have since moved to a new location in Waynesville from Canton. I have eaten at their new location twice in evening and once at lunch. Their clientele has probably increased ten fold just due to location. The evening meals have remained consistently good and reminds me of Jamaica every time. I invited a couple of friends for lunch. Both of them have highly developed palates. I regret to say that all the meat was overcooked and the sauces and the accompaniments were neither spicy nor up to the standards I had become accustomed to. I understand that their move has created difficulties in maintaining consistencies. I also understand that they are serving a different demographic. I hope that they don't stray too far from their roots. I like spicy food and properly cooked protein. I will be sorely disappointed if they negate their roots simply to generate business. However, the clientele they serve in Waynesville is substantially different. I really don't know how One Love will deal with these issues but if they don't succeed in their location, Haywood County will be the loser.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Daryl G
Sedona, Arizona
“An interesting meal”
Reviewed 6 August 2013

One Love is situated in the old Grannys restaurant location beside to Lake Junaluska. We went for lunch, lured in by the daily special advertisement outside. Hoping that the interior was updated from the previous occupant, we noticed a few differences, as in the booths and décor.

Our waiter appeared a little lacking in knowledge of all of the specials of the day, but he soon followed with very nice corn bread. We had three different main courses - the jerk chicken is spicy so please be aware of this. I hope this restaurant succeeds - I am not sure where the target market is - was it a nice lunch - sure - good portion size, with plenty to bring home - would we return - I am not sure...

• Visited August 2013