“Treat yourself....”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Tallahassee, Florida
“Treat yourself....”
Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

I am what some would call a "foodie", but I rarely write food reviews. However, I have eaten at a LOT of restaurants but am sitting down to write a review of One Love. I am new to the Waynesville area and have been actively seeking out what are going to be my "go to" establishments. I regularly read tripadvisor reviews and I noticed a level of passion in many of the reviews of this restaurant...something I look for. The passion is well founded. Regardless of your past experience or preconceptions of Jamaican food, give this restaurant a chance. It is not fancy, but it is clean. Don't be put off if there are few folks in the parking lot or inside. Have Patrick the owner make a recommendation for you or do what we did and split a Jamaican Platter and have the opportunity to sample several great meat dishes. I recommend the collards and rice as side dishes. Try a Ting grapefruit soda to accompany the depth of flavor and spice in the dishes. There is a sophisticated subtlety in the flavor here that people with a love of food will appreciate. Patrick is warm, engaging, and clearly passionate about his food. He brings to Waynesville 22 years of restaurant experience from Brooklyn, NY. His food won me over. This will be a regular stop for me....I loved everything on my platter and can't wait to try more dishes.

Visited January 2014
2 Thank adventurealways

Waynesville, North Carolina
“A real "Island Soulfood" experience”
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Today was our first visit and it was for take-away, and may I add, some of the best food I have had here in the area! The staff is beyond friendly and when I was trying to decide what to have the gentleman at the counter excused himself and quickly returned with a small plate of stew pork for us to sample! The pork was tasty and well cooked with a brown sauce that so rich and flavorful it defies description, except to say that it was very authentic and without the "extra allspice" that people here in the US use to try and get that real island flavor ( allspice is necessary but not 30 berries in a 2 quart pot). Needless to say, this was an easy decision; we ordered the stew pork with rice and peas. The take away container now has teeth marks in it (yes, the food is that good). I have eaten in several restaurants in the Caribbean and this food took me right back. Rice and peas is a staple dish of most of the islands and these folks were paying attention! The rice is perfectly cooked and there are just enough pidgin peas to make the dish just right. The cornbread is melt in your mouth good with a slight sweetness and spice. In all, I am very happy I found this place! I will go back soon for some curry goat...

• Visited December 2013
Toronto, Canada
“Good lunch”
Reviewed 13 December 2013 via mobile

Completely empty and we were the only customers (by the sounds of it, maybe all day...and this was late afternoon), which can sometimes be a red flag. Typical Jamaican decor and music as could be expected also. The owner greeted us and was our waiter for the meal. He was very helpful with menu choices and reccomendations and such.

My salad arrived and was fresh and the strawberry vinaggrette tasty. Unfortunately after that, before I could even wash my hands in the restroom, the two dishes arrived ( beef stew and jerk chicken...boneless I may add), and low and behold they werent even hot. The mac n cheese he raved about was clearly sat in a hot tray, and my portion was scraped from the top I feel.

The meats and sauces were actually succulent and very tasty. It was just a shame about the speed and obvious preparation and heating methods.

The owner did also disappear for the entirety of the meal so it would have been hard to air any grievances.

I wish them all the best, and that they stick around long enough to improve and succeed. Friendly owners dont make great businesses unfortunately.

Would return but maybe for takeaway food.

Waynesville, North Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best food I ever had”
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Went for lunch today for the first time and it was the best food I have ever had! By sheer coincidence, my first visit was on a Sunday when they have a buffet for only $10 a person. This gave me an opportunity to try quite a few different dishes. It was all good! In fact, it was ALL so good that I couldn't tell you which one was my favorite. I had the jerk chicken, stir fry chicken, Caribbean chicken, collards, rice and beans, and they brought me a slice of sweet bread which is like corn bread taken to a whole nother level. I got a menu to see what other items are listed and already made a list of the other dishes I want to try when I return again to dine at One Love. I honestly can't wait to go back and I am sure I will be dreaming about my next meal there in my sleep. I am sure my mouth will be watering! The restaurant was clean, the staff was extremely friendly, and the decor in the restaurant creates an authentic feel of Jamaica right here in the heart of the western North Carolina mountains. What a treasure of a find!

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank corgigirl22
Waynesville
“Great Food”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I have eaten here twice and have enjoyed it both times, trying a different dish each time. I have been very pleased with the warm welcome upon arrival and the service provided. The corn bread is excellent (I typically don't care for corn bread). The place could use a little sprucing up to get rid of the old seating and put in better lighting. It looks like things were pulled together from a former restaurant. The place was clean, it just has old furniture and the walls and ceilings could use some touch up.

• Visited November 2013