“Ok, but not New Orleans!”
Review of A Taste of New Orleans - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
A Taste of New Orleans
Price range: US$5 - US$13
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Reviewed 13 June 2014

It's obvious this restaurant has potential. There has been quite a nice effort put forth in nice decor. It's good that we have some Cajun offerings in Waynesville now, but a few changes need to be made to this cuisine. We started off with salads that were just average. The gumbo was spiced just right - delicious - but was sadly lacking seafood. There was one piece of shrimp in mine. I enjoyed my entree of fried shrimp, but they were a little greasy. My husband's catfish was good, but was only one small fillet, maybe 3 ounces. They have the dirty rice JUST RIGHT! The flavor and bits of sausage was great and a generous portion was served. Sadly, the beneigts(sp?) a.k.a. French donuts were terrible - tough and salty instead of light and sweet. I don't know what happened there. I have made these myself at home after trying them at the Cafe' du Monde in Orleans...maybe I should share the recipie?
Personally, I really WANT this restaurant to succeed - the variety and effort is appreciated and maybe with a few changes, it will soon be excellent. Give them a try!

1  Thank suzwah

Reviewed 7 June 2014

We went for lunch at about 11:30, no one else in the restaurant. We should have checked reviews first. We ordered crab dip, it was good but really spicy. My husband ordered shrimp and grits and a cup of seafood gumbo. The gumbo had one small shrimp and looked more like stew. The shrimp and grits were soaked in butter and only had 5 small shrimp. I had the dirty rice, it was ok after I put hot sauce on it, but hardly any meat in it. We will not recommend or be back to this restaurant.

8  Thank flossy301
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We finally checked out Taste of New Orleans. NOT. IMPRESSED. We went because one of our favorite bartenders left another restaurant to manage here--and we like New Orleans style cuisine--only to find out she's gone back to her original restaurant. The food was average at best.
The service provided by Trudy was prompt and friendly, but I think the owner (if that's who he was) was drunk. At the very least he was inconsiderate when he sat at the bar watching tv, talking on the phone and swearing. I've got nothing against swearing, but you don't do that in front of customers. You never know who your customers might be. Whom you might be offending. This is a place that definitely can't afford to be offending people. I get the sense business isn't so good.
Not a very exciting menu. Terrible choices for sides--mostly carbs. We ordered food to go and it came out very quickly. Too quickly. The jambalaya must have been sitting in a pot all day. The food did not seem fresh.
We will not be returning.

6  Thank wncrod
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

I have been twice for breakfast. Everything was cooked perfectly. Been twice for lunch. I absolutely love their dirty rice, even got an order to go. Love the atmosphere. The wait staff is always so pleasant and their prices are very reasonable. I cannot understand the reviews I have read. I have only had wonderful experiences each time I have been and will be a regular.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Having submitted several reviews (most of them positive), I have received responses from a few owners.
One wrote: "I would like to apologize for the poor treatment you recieved at our restaurant. We were going through a transitional stage with some of our staff at the time. I humbly request that you give us a chance to earn your business and respect."
Another wrote: "I heard of your experience ... I'm sorry that you were so put off. Had I been here, things would have been handled differently...We both apologize."

Curtis H, presumably the owner of A Taste of New Orleans, sent me this message today:
"you could have told me personally your complaints instead of trying to shoot down new business...come back and get your money...dont want what you paid for,,, I think you are a coward.....quit hidding to make your remarks and come face me.... I will reimmbuse you!!!!"

On the night we visited the restaurant, I was told the owner was out, so telling him personally was not an option. Frankly, I'm not interested in revisiting his establishment; from reading about the experiences of others, I am not alone. While I certainly wish him well, it appears that the customer is NOT always right at his restaurant and that he is not interested in learning about problems that need to be addressed.

7  Thank GeorgiaPhotographer