“Very Pleasant and Enjoyable”

The Waynesville Inn, Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Waynesville
Sanford, North Carolina
“Very Pleasant and Enjoyable”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

This was our second stay at the Waynesville Inn and we enjoyed it even more than our first. Our room in the Inn was bright and cheerful and overlooked the lovely golf courses. We enjoyed sitting and rocking on the terrace in the late day and early evening. Our breakfasts were included in our stay and were quite ample and delicious with a nice selection of dishes to choose from.
The location is convenient to downtown Waynesville, where we enjoyed an afternoon of 'retail therapy'. We would recommend the Waynesville Inn to anyone traveling to the area, or a destination of its own.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the terrace and golf course offer the nicest view.
1 Thank retiredtonc
Chris C, Director of Rooms at The Waynesville Inn, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
It is very gratifying to hear from return guests! Thanks for taking a few moments to share some details of your stay with the TripAdvisor community. I hope your third stay will be even more enjoyable than the first two! Thank you so much for your continued support!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
Mount Juliet, Tennessee
Reviewed 25 May 2014

We came on a Groupon $99 for 2 nights. We really got our moneys worth and then some. We had a 2nd story historic room in the main lodge and a balcony overlooking the golf course. The rhododendrons were in full bloom and the landscape around the lodge was spectacular. The Breakfast that comes with the room stay was 1st rate and delicious. We were so pleased with our stay we will definitely be back.

Room Tip: we stay in room 234
3 Thank caryncc2014
I'm so glad you enjoyed your time in Waynesville and were able to stay with us during such a beautiful time of year. Thank you so much for your business and I appreciate your time in posting a review. We are looking forward to your next stay as well!
Hickory, North Carolina
Reviewed 17 May 2014

To start, this was a groupon deal so perhaps we had the worst room in the place but I was not happy. The room was fine enough and, as a whole, the inn is lovely but I had the worst shower experience ever (and I was an itinerant traveler through rural Alaska). The water was either ice cold or scalding hot - luckily the pressure was so low that there was time to avoid a serious injury. In the transition between unbelievable extremes there was time enough to at least get soap out of my hair. We were above a kitchen so my second attempt was after they'd closed - it was still horrible. The desk staff's response was simply - well, that's what you get in a hotel almost 100 years old.

Breakfast buffet was good enough as was the other staff we encountered.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank eclecticmess
Chris C, Director of Rooms at The Waynesville Inn, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 25 May 2014
I am happy to hear you found the Inn lovely overall but I apologize for the problems with your shower and for the response you received from our staff. Please contact me directly with more details, including stay dates and room number, so I can have our maintenance staff check for problems. Thanks for choosing to stay with us and I look forward to hearing from you.

Travellers are raving about these Waynesville hotels

Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 17 May 2014

When you first arrive, it looks a little outdated and run down, certainly not as nice as the pictures. But it turned out to be well kept, clean and comfortable. We stayed down in the "Cottages" and the beds were good, the bathrooms updated and clean and the views very nice. Breakfast was excellent and we played 18 holes on a scenic, short, but challenging golf course. Would like to come back some time for the 9 we missed. Attentive staff. Being just out of town was nice and the views were beautiful. The "fitness center" was an old treadmill and elliptical, not open until 8am so as not to disturb the guests! The "Spa" was a house on the grounds labelled "Spa" but didn't get to try it.

Room Tip: The cottage room was good. Did not see the others but they did not seem as nice.
2 Thank JKVictor
Thank you for taking a few moments to share a review of our property. I will make sure the staff receives your compliments. Indeed, the fitness room is open from 8:00 a.m.-8:00 p.m. because of its proximity to guest rooms and the spa, located in a villa on the property, offers massage, nail services and other treatments. I hope you will be able to give it a try during your next visit!
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Reminded me of the set of the dirty dancing movie. My room wasn't updated. No desk in room. The sink was in the room, not bathroom. The mattress wasn't very comfortable. I liked the natural creaking of the wood floors. Good breakfast buffet. Front desk staff were very friendly.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank JodyE55
Chris C, Director of Rooms at The Waynesville Inn, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Thanks for choosing to stay with us and for taking a few moments to share your thoughts. I'm sorry you found your bed uncomfortable and your room's layout a bit unconventional. The stone-walled Lodge building has been here since the 1920s, so many of the floor plans are creative and difficult to change or expand. Thanks again for posting a review. I will make sure the staff receives your compliments. Safe travels!
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 13 May 2014

My mother and I meet every year for Mother's Day weekend at a place equidistant from Charlotte and Atlanta. This year we chose The Waynesville Inn, Golf Resort & Spa based on a Groupon promotion and some lovely photos of the grounds.

Mom wanted to stay in the main lodge because of proximity to breakfast, but I was hesitant after reading some of the reviews of the historic rooms. She countered that we have stayed in B&Bs, lodges and hotels all over the southeast and have enjoyed the diversity - we aren't afraid of a little "character". And as usual, Mom was right! Our room (#252) definitely had some older features and decorations, but was very clean and we enjoyed the rustic decor, the picturesque view of the golf course, and the cozy sitting room. In fact, I think this may be the only room with a sitting area - our neighbors all appeared to have balconies instead.

The beds were also comfortable and we made use of the small refrigerator in the room. The only inconveniences we experienced were spotty Wi-Fi (it only worked for a short period on Sunday morning - not on Friday or Saturday) and thin walls. We could hear other guests talking and walking as they passed our room, or stopped to get ice. Fortunately, it was a quiet weekend and nothing disturbed us after 11:00 PM or before 7:45 AM (when the leaf blower started up).

Breakfast every morning was very nice - we enjoyed made-to-order omelets and waffles, and the buffet also included eggs, grits, bacon, sausage, biscuits, muffins, toast, cereal, fruit, juice and coffee/tea. We ate dinner onsite at the Cork and Cleaver one night, and it was the best meal we had during our stay. I actually sent back the Ahi Yellow Fin Tuna ordered the next night at The Chef's Table (rated #1 restaurant in Waynesville) - tasted terrible (Mom agreed).

On top of everything, the staff were universally friendly and helpful both during the reservation process and during our stay. On Saturday morning they suggested we attend a downtown festival which was lots of fun (and included performances by bands and belly dancers, plant sale, art vendors and antique shops). The rest of the time we enjoyed walking around the beautiful grounds and chatting on the veranda in our rocking chairs.

It was a peaceful, relaxing weekend overall - would absolutely recommend!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank TraceyW717
Thank you for taking the time to post such a descriptive account of your time with us. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and I will make sure to circulate your comments among the staff and note your suggestions for improvement. Safe travels and a happy belated Mother's Day to your mother!
Florence, South Carolina
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Dirty room, holes in our sheets, broken blinds, dirty shower, dirty floors, big disappointment! Staff in the restaurant were nice at breakfast, the people in the bar at dinner time were quite trashy. I paid wayyy too much for this stay.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KWhite27
I'm so sorry you did not enjoy your recent stay. I apologize for the shortcomings you have described in reference to your accommodations and I will pass along your compliments to the breakfast staff. As for the folks in the bar, I am unsure if you are referring to our staff or our guests. In either case, I have not witnessed or heard anything that would make me agree with your characterization.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waynesville
Best Western Smoky Mountain Inn
#6 of 19 in Waynesville
Econo Lodge
Econo Lodge
#4 of 8 in Waynesville

Been to The Waynesville Inn, Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!