“Utterly diasspointed”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 20 June 2009

I was at this restaurant 5 years ago and had a good meal. At the time the setting, the service and the food were worth the extra couple bucks. This time, oh dear, I was embarrassed to have recommended the restaurant to my sister. We arrived around 7:30p on a Thursday with no one else in the parking lot. At $18 per entree, it was no bargain. Tiny, little rolls that likely could have been Pillsbury (which is fine at home but not dining out), a salad (the highlight of the entire meal was the fresh herb dressing), a serviceable trout entree served with rice pilaf and an awful, overpriced "prime rib" stroganoff which was OBVIOUSLY microwaved by the hue of the meat. Since my sister's trout was apparently fine, I ate mostly noodles and mushrooms. We did ourselves a favor and went to Asheville to find a yummy dessert to offset this awful meal. This restaurant should do itself a favor and close.

2  Thank Heather_SG
There are newer reviews for Weaverville Milling Company Restaurant

Reviewed 10 May 2009

We had a family of twelve for Mothers Day Dinner. We had reservations for 1P.M. First of all we could not beleive there were no signs to the Restaurant. We were seated and ordered at exactly 1P.M. While waiting for our food, we noticed that we were the only people seated and we only saw two ladies working. We could see spider webs clinging from the ceiling.At 1:30 were served our very skimmy toss salad. No onion or tomato. It only had very little lettuce and one slice of carrot. The Ranch dressing was about a teaspoonful. By the time we got our meal at 2:10P.M. our ice was all melted. I had the Chicken and it was the size of a silver dollar. One teaspoon of corn, 1 spoon of Green Beans and a spoonful of Chicken Dressing. Several people at the table ordered sliced Roast Beef and they all had to send it back. It was thinly sliced out of a can and very tough. The entire Restaurant only had two partys eating and you had to wait for ever to get waited on. When it came time to pay our bill, the waitress said we dont have change and had to go downstairs for change. You could tell they were not prepared to open for business. This Mothers Day Dinner was terrible and we all left still hungry. I would not recommend this place to anyone.THE FOOD IS TERRIBLE!!!

Reviewed 8 March 2009

My friends and I went to Asheville, NC for an overnight outing and a visit to Biltmore Estates. We looked around for a different type of restaurant in the area and all decided to give the Weaverville Mill Restaurant a try. The building has an interesting history and there are some interesting pieces of old machinery here and there throughout the dining areas, but that's where the good stuff ends. We were so terribly disappointed in the food that it was pathetic.
First, we all ordered their special which was grilled Prime Rib with potatoes and salad. Keep in mind that this was their special for the evening. We were the first guests to arrive at the restaurant and it was about 6:00 on a Saturday evening. The place was empty except for a cook and a waitress. I'm guessing that one or both of them was probably the owner based on what I've read online and in a travel guide. Anyway, the cook came out and said that the prime rib didn't look so good and would we mind if we got steaks instead. We looked back over the menu and decided to go ahead with the steaks even though we were hoping for prime rib.
First, we received a few packs of crackers with our drinks. They have no sodas except for rootbeer and something that was supposed to be similar to a sprite. In a few minutes, we received our salads. There wasn't much to the salad.. just a few leaves that looked like several day old bagged salad. The leaves were covered with a little dressing. Boring.
After about another twenty minutes, our waitress came back with our steaks and potatoes. The roasted potato was tiny. Really tiny. And it was dry. As for the steak, it was a very poor cut of meat. It had a lot of tough fat and only about half of each steak was even meat. We all ordered them medium well and the meat was medium rare to medium at best. It was also like shoe leather. It was covered in a brown gravy and there was just no flavor. I don't think they were marinated or seasoned in any way.
I asked for some creamy horse radish and received something that tasted like sour cream with just a hint of horse radish flavor. We were all very disappointed.
I will say though that the waitress was very sweet and the cook was nice also. I enjoyed going through the building, but the food was terrible. Don't go there! Go to Asheville instead. You'll be much happier... and you won't have to go to another restaurant immediately after just so you can have some edible food.

Reviewed 9 July 2008

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but we had a NOT GOOD experience at this restaurant last week (first week in July of 2008). The restaurant itself is unique and boasts a great history, and the hostess/bus person (who looked to be one of the owners) was pleasant but unfortunately that's where the good reviews ended. The food was not even remotely good, the waitress was sweet but inexperienced and inattentive, and did I mention the food was NOT good?
They folks who own it seem nice but unfortunately nice doesn't make for a good dinner. Brie served with crackers (taken out of their package at least) was our appetizer. For $7.50 I guess I didn't expect much. Dinner came with a salad but it consisted of maybe 8 pieces of lettuce tossed in dressing (when I asked for it on the side). Waitress brought chardonnay when we ordered syrah. Most of our party of 6 ordered the "fresh" trout. I don't think it was even trout - it tasted and looked like salmon (albeit a thin fillet of salmon). Bread was warm but the "rolls" were more like dough droplets. Needless to say, I was NOT impressed. We did not order dessert after all this and even talked about going to McDonalds for more food. With Asheville's close proximity I would definitely drive the extra 15 minutes to find a different restaurant.

1  Thank ALil'Irish!