“Pretty good buffet”

Add it.
Peking East
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 22 August 2013

I have eaten at the Peking East several times, and the buffet has been good. I agree with another reviewer that you do not want to order takeout. They simply scoop up food out of the buffet, it is not prepared fresh. And the price for takeout is rather high. But the buffet is reasonably priced. There is a nice variety on the buffet, the service has always been good. If you are in Weaverville and are in the mood for Chinese, try the buffet, you won't be disappointed with it.

1  Thank tgmaier
There are newer reviews for Peking East

Reviewed 17 July 2013

I'm not sure why I am disappointed in Peking East. After all, one doesn't go to Weaverville, North Carolina expecting five-star Chinese cuisine! But with the proliferation of very good Chinese carry-out restaurants found in strip-malls all over the United States, I had certain expectations that Peking East did not meet.

There's a buffet, and the dining room was pretty packed with diners who were taking advantage of the fairly-priced and varied "classic" Chinese offerings. I, however, had ordered takeout, which I'm reasonably sure was not freshly-prepared, but had been harvested from steam pans underneath the warming lights. The food was greasy and not at all flavorful. And it seemed VERY expensive compared to typical Chinese take-out; I was pretty desperate for a quick meal, so I wasn't about to challenge the pricing ... but later I realized that the expense was due to being served family-sized portions rather than individual. ie: The typical Chinese carry-out has "small" and "large" offerings, but at Peking East, one size fits all. This would have been wonderful, had the food been tasty, but seemed like a colossal waste when the food was this poor.

I will say one nice thing about Peking East: they do not use MSG in their preparation! Despite this plus (which is really a big plus to someone who has a severe sensitivity to this unnecessary chemical addition to foods), I have no plan to return to Peking East. I'll check back on TripAdvisor now and again, and if I find reviews that indicate that the restaurant has improved, or that possibly I went on a bad night (an incredibly and unfortunate bad night), I'll reconsider. But for now, let's just say that I wish I'd read this review prior to choosing Peking East!

1  Thank RoadVet