“Don't Miss It!!”

Ashe County Cheese Factory and Store
More attraction details
Owner description: North Carolina's oldest and largest cheese manufacturer. Watch cheese being made in our factory viewing room. Our retail store has all our cheeses available plus our fresh country butter, fresh fudge and hand-dipped ice cream. Something new for the kids (and kids at heart) is our Kandy Korner with over 150 varieties of new and traditional candies. We also have a great selection of NC Wines, and imported cheeses as well as Amish Foods.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We finally found it!! When my husband and I visited the mountains last October, the cheese factory was on my list of things to do. For some reason I thought the cheese factory was in Little Switzerland. Makes sense to me, cheese, Switzerland, swiss cheese. Needless to say there is NO cheese factory in Little Switzerland. My husband will never let me forget this mistake and has enjoyed telling every one! He even purchased a Little Switzerland post card for me to display on my desk at work.

We FINALLY visited the Ashe County Cheese Factory and Store last week. We enjoyed the viewing room at the cheese factory. When you go you will appreciate all of the hard work that goes into the production of this cheese. It was certainly a lot more work than I expected but the finished product is well worth it!

The Cheese Store is well organized and every thing is nicely displayed. There are even a few cheeses that you can sample. The Extra Sharp Cheese is good but the Garlic Cheddar Cheese is absolutely delicious. My son likes the Buffalo Jack and I still have some Garden Vegetable to try. They have some discounted cheese that is called the trimmed cheese. It is perfectly good just not quite as pretty as it is the trimmed ends. Tastes fine to me!! Needless to say I have a bag of cheese in the refrigerator that should last me a while and a new postcard of the Cheese Factory for my desk. I just discovered if I give out of cheese before our next visit I can purchase it on line directly from The Cheese Factory!!

PS: Did I mention that we visited the Cheese Store not once, but twice? Can't get enough of that delicious Ashe county Cheese

Thank Jennifer and Ke... W
There are newer reviews for Ashe County Cheese Factory and Store

Reviewed 29 April 2014

You can watch them make the cheese for free. Interesting an educational.
But buying the fresh cheeses and butter is great.

2  Thank Stdarty
Reviewed 19 April 2014

When I'm in West Jefferson, Ashe Cheese Factory is always on one of the places I shop at! Super friendly staff and always helpful! They have all types of cheese and It is fresh! There is North Carolina wine there also for sale plus candy, fudge, ice cream, jams/jellies and other food items! There are gift boxes also! I always buy some cheese and wine to take home! The building is super clean! There are parking spaces in front of the store! This is a friendly and safe place to visit with a great health department rating!

2  Thank FAM57
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Cheese made right there! Lots of varieties. Get the aged cheddar! Gift boxes and baskets available, too. Friendly people!

1  Thank LBC319
Reviewed 4 March 2014

W Jefferson, North Carolina cheese secret! So much incredible cheese and related food items, homemade real butter...what can I say...you just have to go! Cheese curds? Wow...great snack!

2  Thank Matecumbe