“Loved the Gear Head Inn...will be back again”
Review of Gear Head Inn

and 1 more site!
Gear Head Inn
Ranked #3 of 5 Whittier B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 April 2013

Me and my wife were looking for a fun getaway in our car and looked around for a few days for a place that was central to all the activities and great roads in the area. We came across the Gear Head Inn and saw the great reviews so we gave it a shot. We were very impressed as soon as we arrived and were greeted by the owner who shared with us a list of all the best roads including a day tour of the numerous wateralls in the area. She gave us a map of all the roads in the area that helped us find our way around. We stayed in the Corvette room and loved it. The room was huge and had a very comfortable king bed. Simple and comfortable. We will definitely be back soon.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank eric1788

Reviewed 12 January 2013

It was a late night, leaving the casino, Didn't want to go down the mountain, Gear head inn was on my left. Jim and Mary woke up to let me stay. Love them for that. The room was large and clean. Gave Me the Mountain feeling I was looking for. Second trip back I needed to get away to study for an exam. Peaceful I enjoyed myself every time I went. Thanks and I will see you soon.

Room Tip: Just don't take mine. I Love the Corvette Room. Near the office.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Connie P
Reviewed 20 October 2012

I spent a long weekend at this motel and was pleasantly surprised at how well maintained and convenient this place was. Super large rooms. Located midway between Bryson City and Cherokee it offers a great base for whatever you may want to experience while in the Smokies. Wonderful owners/hosts will leave you with a right at home feeling. Good rates for the area make this place one that you should definitely consider. Thanks Gearhead Inn for a great weekend getaway.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 September 2012

Fall just around the corner in NC. Had a wonderful time at the Gear Head Inn with Mary and Jim, the innkeepers! The renovations continue and the Inn is comfortable and clean! Boys against the girls in a game of "corn hole". Girls WIN!! Wonderful cool evenings to sit around the fire. Looking forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Corvette Room! Pick your favorite. Next time we hope for the Mustang room!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 September 2012

When my wife and I decided, on a whim, to take off on the bike for the N Carolina mountains for a day on the Sunday before Labor Day, I called the GearHead Inn to see if they had a room. We got the last king bed room - seems the weather forecast had kept some customers away. Glad we did. We always prefer to stay in quirky little motels rather than the chains. Makes for more of an adventure. This place is fun. Rooms are big, clean, and comfortable. Very friendly owners, Jimand Mary, always there to help with recommendations on where to eat or visit. They sat around the bonfire visiting with the guests. Very enjoyable stay. We recommend it to anyone looking for an out of the ordinary, true old style motel experience. Just like the motor inns of my youth.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2012

My son and I decided on a road trip to spend some time in the North Carolina Mountains. Our calls to find a place to stay kept getting rejected because of No Vacancy until we found Gear Head Inn along with Jim and Mary. What a wonderful place. Motor Inn will take you back to the 60's with a modern touch. The beds were comfortable and clean with plush white sheets, a lot of people overlook this point along with nice towels. They did a good job of renovating this old Inn. New carpet and great lighting with a 60's style. Every room appears to be named after a muscle car of the 70's. The lights around the pool were shaped like a gear shifter. Jim and Mary made us feel like we were home. We used Gear Head Inn as a base camp for us to raft the Nantahla River, Jet Ski Fontana Lake and tube on Deep Creek. Worthy of checking this place out on your next visit.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are about 17' x 21' Plenty or room
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 July 2012

This was my first trip to NC, my girlfriend and I stayed at the Gearhead Inn, Mary and Jim the Owner/Operators were awesome. So friendly, and helpful, giving us tips on where to eat locally. The 'Roadrunner' room, was neat and clean. Whatever we wanted, all we had to do was ask. Always a wave hello/goodbye whether you were leaving, or returning. While we were too busy with friends in the area, the pool looked very inviting, and they even had the fire pit going, we roasted marshmallows and made smores, so very homey. Old fashioned service thats hard to find at a chain. Will stay here again on our next trip.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whittier
Baymont Inn & Suites Cherokee Smoky Mountains
Lloyds on the River Country Inn
Great Smokies Inn
Great Smokies Inn
#7 of 28 in Cherokee

Been to Gear Head Inn? Share your experiences!