“Better than expected!”

Hitchin Post Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 27 Restaurants in Williamston
Cuisines: American
Good for: Kids, Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Better than expected!”
Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

Ok. So I pride myself in being very accurate in my personal opinion on reviews. This particular review deserves a note. My review of this restaurant is based on where it is located. Where it is located it is a SOLID 4. If you placed this same restaurant in a major city it would be a 3. Ok? So, given the location.

Visited on a Wednesday evening about 6pm. Not very busy when I arrived but by the time I departed the restaurant was at least 50% full. I ordered the 10oz Ribeye MR, w/baked potato and substituted the salad bar for the house salad for an extra charge. They do have beer and wine. Ok, so standard lower level beer and "house" wine but where it is located I was surprised. Back to the food! The salad bar was well worth the extra charge. All ingredients were fresh and the bar itself was well maintained and clean. The waitstaff was pleasant and very attentive. The steak was cooked to order, potato hot, and bread steaming. Note: the steak was a standard quality steakhouse cut so don't expect a gourmet cut...but it was pretty good. The potato. Can a potato be the highlight of a meal? If so this would be it. Very well cooked. Not raw. Not old. They could improve by using ground pepper instead of the "pepper dust" that was available. But again. Not so bad.
For the non-meat eaters. My daughter is a vegetarian and honestly I would had not thought this place had pasta but it does. Didn't try it but I do know that between the pasta and the salad bar she would leave happy.
Final scoop? I have been driving by this location for over 20 years to the OBX and have listened to folks in the car whine about being hungry for most of those. Before you suffer through another drive to a "place that has good food" stop at this place....it has good food!

Visited March 2014

Edenton, North Carolina
“Good Food with a Bad 'Tude”
Reviewed 23 February 2014

After hearing good reviews of their food, we decided to stop in for lunch late (2-ish) one afternoon. Not crowded, so not loud, and we were seated immediately; the place is virtually all wood with a cowboy theme- horses are of course big in Williamston. When the waitress appeared she first asked for our drink order, then she asked if we were getting the buffet, and she appeared noticeably annoyed when we told her we'd like to look at the menu. I'm sure the $12 buffet is popular and probably tasty, however as a general rule we tend to avoid food bars are that are all one color, and mac&cheese, potatoes, rolls, salisbury steak, etc are all in the brown-yellow family. I ended up getting the grilled chicken sandwich and chips, she ended up with the salad bar and a coffee. I'm not sure how the waitstaff is set up, but, although we saw our waitress on the floor, she never came back after our food was delivered. So- not once did anybody stop by to see how the food was (ketchup would have been nice), nor did my girlfriend ever get any more coffee. The food itself was quite good- chicken was juicy and the chips were delicious, and their salad bar was quite fresh with a good selection. Perhaps we just caught them at a bad time, I don't know, but the waitstaff was more staffing than waiting on tables. Because of the food we'll go back and try again, certainly, but we shall hope for a different experience.

• Visited February 2014
Stow, Ohio
“Have eaten here many times over 10 years , its hit or miss”
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Finally ready to write a review . Have had wonder in fact fantastic meals and awful ones too.
Last time there in fall , wife and others in party had great meals and I had buffet . The buffet salad bar was fine , fresh with a good selection. The buffet was picked over , poor presentation and much was swimming in grease . The fried chicken looked like it had hardly been drained after frying. The shrimp were overcooked freezer items that were rubbery . Found enough good foods to get a good meal but many items were sub standard even for this restaurant.
On other times I've eaten there regular meals or buffet have been fair to excellent.
In the summer have had fresh fish or shrimp on regular menu . Good steaks and potato type dinners. Breakfast and lunchs I've never had an issue and its been a good value.

What I think is that when they are running high volume of people the buffet gets picked over and the kitchen staff can't keep up so quality suffers. Probably best to turn around if the parking lot looks full and go back there on a day when not as many people are there.

The serving staff had always been good , never a bad waitress , always smiling and friendly .
Its not a fancy place , very country , not a romantic atmosphere , can be noisy in evening.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank 262Dave
Williamsburg, Virginia
“Friendly service”
Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

Was in town for business and happy that there was a local place close to the hotel. The staff here is extremely friendly. The dining room was pretty busy and I was by myself so I asked to sit at the bar. Not a person in there... Ordered a grey goose (only $6.00) cheap for top shelf. Salad bar was fresh but very basic. Burger with bacon and grilled onion was cooked as ordered but the bacon was soggy. In all, they do a good job but I wouldn't call it great or exceptional.

Visited November 2013
Greenville, North Carolina
“Bad Experiance”
Reviewed 5 November 2013

We had a Class Reunion at the Hitchin Post Restaurant. Aprox. 100 ere crammed in the back room. The only food that we were offered was the food bar. No menus were available. The wait staff was not enough for a group of this size. The food bar has an ample number of items, but some appeared to have been prepared to far in advance and been on the bar unattended to long.

I will not vote to have our class reunion at the Hitchin Post again.

• Visited August 2013