“A Little Slice of Country Grandeur”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Williamston
Big Mill Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Williamston B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Michigan
“A Little Slice of Country Grandeur”
Reviewed 11 August 2009

I was a semi-permanent guest at Big Mill. I resided there from March until the end of May (sorry it took me so long to write my rave review). I came to North Carolina and everything was new to me, Chloe welcomed me with open arms (Deloris Too:)). I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and I miss relaxing on the property everyday! I could not have asked for a better home away from home! I will be back! Thanks again Chloe...I miss You! :)

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed 13 June 2009

My husband and I stayed at Big Mill Bed & Breakfast for our first anniversary vacation and we're trying to figure out how we can get back for a weekend before another year goes by. Chloe was a great hostess and the two rooms we stayed in -- the Mardi Gras Suite and the Packhouse Suite -- were fantastic. We looked forward to our beautiful breakfasts each morning (or whenever we woke up!).

My husband and I live in Raleigh and we were a little skeptical that the Williamston area would have much to offer us, but it was central to several places on the eastern side of the state that we don't visit much so we thought we'd give it a shot. The wonderful thing about Big Mill was that we could just relax on the grounds if we wanted, with no pressure to leave and get involved in too many activities. When we did want to go out, places like historic Edenton, Washington, Bath, and even the outer banks were a reasonable drive away. There was a Piggly Wiggly and a Wal Mart nearby for quick trips to pick up supplies.

We took advantage of every extra service that Big Mill offers: in-room massages, catered desserts, and even a flower delivery (a birthday gift from my husband). Everything was great!

Thank you for everything, Chloe!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ambermae
USA
Reviewed 10 March 2009

We stayed in the Corn Crib room. It was just beautiful & cozy! Relaxing too!! The innkeeper was a wonderful hostess. Loved the breakfast, homemade yogurt, granola, jams, quiche. Loved the entryway into our room. Roasted hot dogs over the fireplace in the entryway. We will definitely be back for our 10 year anniversary next year. We have stayed at 4 BNB's & this one is the best, by far!!!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DreamFighter
Reviewed 17 September 2008

My husband and I stayed in Big Mill's Mardi Gras Suite for one night of a two-week exploration of the Carolinas. I made all of the travel arrangements and picked Big Mill because we needed a place to stop on our way to Ocracoke. We wish now that we had skipped Ocracoke altogether and spent the extra time at Big Mill.

The pictures of the suite and the grounds simply do not do justice to this B&B, which was both a surprise and a pleasure. The Mardi Gras suite was _very_ spacious, clean and comfortable. We really liked the handmade soaps and attention to detail. As soon as we arrived, we felt immediately that the room and its furnishings had been designed with comfort and relaxation in mind. We loved the sign that welcomed us by name. Our innkeeper, Chloe, was so interesting and hospitable- we felt very much like cherished guests even though we were only staying one night!

We expected the breakfast to be "continental", but we did not expect it to be homemade granola, a yummy quiche, breads, fruit-- enough to satisfy even my always hungry husband and utterly delicious to boot. We appreciated that our breakfast foods were brought in the evening before so we could eat at our leisure the next morning.

The grounds are really amazing, beautiful and lots of romantic hotspots (grapevine covered pergola, bridges, sitting areas). We spent an hour or so paddling in the small lake then lounging by the small reflecting pond outside of our suite. We had never been to NC and pretty much fell in love with the area. I've stayed at several B&Bs and frankly, feel that this one has raised the bar for our expectations.

After we got back from our vacation, we spent some time going over what were the best and worst parts of the trip and both agreed that we might like to plan a longer trip to stay at Big Mill and spend more time exploring the surrounding area. This B&B was definitely a bright and shining star in our memory!

• Liked — attention to detail
  • Disliked — absolutely nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CO_sojourner
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 26 April 2008

Actually, a class in relaxation and stress reduction is not necessary because it comes so easy at Big Mill as soon as you step out of your car. I stayed for 7 days at this enchanting, charming B&B, located on a farm in eastern North Carolina. The Grading Room Suite was comfortable upscale accomodations yet casual with its hardwood floors, contemporary leather couch and European kitchen. The views of the farm, its gardens and sunsets from the hammock outside the suite were wonderful. I shall return.

• Liked — Uniqueness
  • Disliked — No dislikes
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
maryland
Reviewed 6 April 2008

I spent my Spring Break at Big Mill. It was the perfect placed for Spring retreat to recharge my battery. I stayed for three nights and had a wonderful stay. I really enjoyed the comfy and coziness of the Caribbean Room. I also enjoyed the quietness of its location. The grounds were lovely, even in early Spring.

The food was fresh and delicious. Though the breakfast service is not what one may usually find at B&B's, I rather enjoyed the choice to have breakfast at my leisure. The innkeeper was friendly and a delight to chat with.

I'm thingking about going back in the fall; definitely worth the price.

• Liked — Its location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed 27 January 2008

We stayed at the Big Mill for two nights, residing at the Packhouse Suite. Our experience was below our expectations, and we have frequented enough B&Bs to know quality. The room was rather dirty - the rug had obvious dirty and old leaves on it, and the kitchen silverware was also improperly cleaned (the teapot, for instance, had some sort of oily residue that we thankfully caught before drinking our tea). Breakfast was good but somewhat small - we were hungry afterwards, something that most B&Bs don't allow. The walls are very thin, and unfortunately our next-door neighbor was playing the TV all night. The TV in our room, furthermore, was very small. This is not to say that the experience was altogether bad. In fact, we ended up having a good time, for the town is great. And there were positives about the stay, as well. For instance, the bathroom was very clean and nice, the Suite is spacious and uniquely rustic, the grounds were lovely, and we loved the Deadwood restaurant. I think that all the problems associated with the place could have been forgiven if it wasn't so pricey! We would have been happy with the place if it really were $75/night, but we were paying well over $100, and for that price we should get something better for the cost.

• Liked — Location: beautiful rustic setting
  • Disliked — Too pricey for what it offers
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
11 Thank MagnoliaTree
ncfarmersdaughter, Owner at Big Mill Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 23 February 2008
Managers Response:

We find any and all reviews of our Big Mill Bed & Breakfast very important! We thank those who share the experience of their stay with us on the internet. Even more, we always assume that those who write are honest and frank. But in this instance we are extremely confused and feel motivated to make sure this confusion is clarified.

The complaint that the walls of our rooms are thin is confusing and worrisome so we investigated to correct our possible oversight. But all of our rooms only come in contact with each other at the sitting rooms. No other walls touch. The person who had the adjoining sitting room wall to the Pack House Suite stayed with us for 3 weeks. He was very dedicated to exercise. We recently asked him what his daily routine was when he stayed with us. He replied that he always turned off his TV at 9:00pm, because he arose very early to jog every on the 200 acres of farm land.

If a guest is not satisfied with their room/suite, due to any reason (financially), they are encouraged to tell us so we can move them or at least be given the chance to correct the concern. If they had let us know that they wanted to pay only $75.00 per day; we had our $75.00 Caribbean room empty and ready at a moments notice. The second to last sentence stated that ’all the problems associated with the place could have been forgiven if it wasn’t so pricey. We would have been happy with the place if it were $75.00/night’, is a curious statement.

We pride ourselves in presenting our large Continental breakfast served to your room. It consists of: bagels or homemade breads made with fruits and nuts grown on the farm, juice, cheese, coffee, tea and fresh fruit. Grapes, plums, pears and blueberries from the orchard are served in season. Homemade yogurt and crust less quiches made with dried tomatoes from the cook’s garden are a favorite, with at least one edible flower as a garnish.

We do apologize for any and all dried leaves/grass from our 200 acres sticking to shoes upon entry to rooms/suite. An oily substance on the outside of a tea pot as well as water spotted silverware by the dishwasher in the Pack Suite, is inexcusable and we have corrected the mechanical problem that arose with the dishwasher.

In closing we again thank each and every comment about a stay at Big Mill Bed & Breakfast. All being said, are appreciative that this guest wound up having a ‘goodtime’.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Williamston
Hampton Inn Williamston
#3 of 3 in Plymouth
Hampton Inn Greenville
Hampton Inn Greenville
#1 of 22 in Greenville

Been to Big Mill Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!