“Very nice Holiday Inn Express, in good location”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center
Ranked #25 of 44 Hotels in Wilmington
Louisville, Kentucky
“Very nice Holiday Inn Express, in good location”
Reviewed 3 May 2012 via mobile

Nice hotel, with hot breakfast and good internet. Gym could be better, but that was my only real complaint. Room was spacious and clean. Staff very pleasant. Very good location, close to food, shopping and university. Will stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank efm16
WilmingtonNC1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center, responded to this review, 5 May 2012
Dear efm16,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center by filling out an online review. Your willingness to share your thoughts with us is genuinely appreciated.

We appreciate knowing the things that please you as well as those areas that need our attention. It is our goal to provide the high quality standards you have become accustomed to from the Holiday Inn Express brand. I am sorry that you were not completely satisfied with our on-site fitness facility. For a more in-depth workout during any future visits, I would certainly encourage you to take advantage of the complimentary guest pass to the nearby Gold's Gym, which is an amenity that we offer to all of our guests. We strive to please all of our guests and appreciate your comments.

With your input, we can constantly monitor and change our product to maintain the high standards of quality and performance that have become a Holiday Inn Express tradition.

It was indeed our pleasure serving you and we look forward to welcoming you again to the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center.

Ella Golden

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Buffalo, New York, United States
Reviewed 27 April 2012

I was in town for my friend's wedding and this was the hotel picked for the wedding party and guests. It's a great location, within in short walking distances to Target, Wal-Mart and many other stores and restaurants like Olive Garden and Waffle House, but my favorite... Chick-Fil-A is across the street. I arrived about 4 hours early for check in due to the timing of my flight and they had no issue with allowing me to check in early. The night before the wedding I had the bride's son stay with me and my daughter to give her a break and needed a fold away bed brought up and it was close to midnight. The staff brought it up with a smile and no complaints. The hotel's complimentary breakfast is decent. They have really good cinnamon rolls, surprisingly. I recommend this location 100%.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Tracie M
WilmingtonNC1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center, responded to this review, 1 May 2012
Dear Tracie M.,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington – University Center by filling out an online review. Your willingness to share your thoughts with us is genuinely appreciated.

I was pleased to learn of your satisfaction with our staff, facilities and that your stay was so enjoyable. It always makes me happy to hear about things like a staff member delivering a roll-away bed at midnight with a smile and no complaints! I'm also glad that you found our location to be close to many great restaurant and shopping options. With your input, we can constantly monitor our product to maintain high standards of quality and performance that have become a Holiday Inn Express tradition. Thank you again for your comments.

It was indeed our pleasure serving you and we look forward to welcoming you again to the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington – University Center.

Greenville, North Carolina
Reviewed 15 April 2012

My mom and I stayed here b/c I was a bridesmaid in my cousin's wedding. The Holiday Inn was the hotel my cousin picked out for the bridal party and family/friends. I travel quite a bit so my review is based on what I like in a hotels. I typically like to stay in 4 and 5 star hotels.

Pros: The staff were extremely nice at this hotel and they go out of their way to accommodate their guest. We needed late check-out b/c of the wedding and they gave us until 2pm to check out. Oh, and we ended up needing a tad bit more time and the staff said, "take as long as you need, no rush!"

Breakfast-The price of breakfast is included w/ your stay and it was a full course one. We didn't eat here but I thought it was great that they offered it.

Wifi- free! However, it was pretty slow.

The area- it was in the center of restaurants and a few shopping spots.

Cons- I really can't list the cons b/c I don't think it would be fair b/c of my taste in hotels. I don't want to come across as the "over-critical" reviewer". The rooms were a good size and they have a mini-fridge in the room which was great! The bathroom was spacious. I would not recommend my friends and family here but that doesn't mean this is a horrible hotel.

I want to thank the staff for being so great(front check in & housekeeper)!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
WilmingtonNC1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center, responded to this review, 18 April 2012
Dear BriaNicole,

Thank you for filling out a TripAdvisor review describing your recent stay at our hotel. I appreciate the time you took to make your comments and hope that we will always be able to provide a great experience for you when you’re in Wilmington. I have passed your remarks along to our staff so that they will know that our guests recognize it when they are provided with such good service.

I am sorry that we were not able to earn a higher overall rating from you on TripAdvisor. We always appreciate hearing ideas from our guests on how we can improve their experiences, so if there's anything specific that you would like to share with me, please contact me at (910) 392-3227 or gm.hxwilm@centrexproperties.com .

Fayetteville
Reviewed 21 March 2012

Recently stayed the week end and had a GREAT stay!
Hotel is in a good location, nicely located centrally to beaches, downtown and shopping centers. The room was PERFECT. Was not expecting the room lay out. The seperate bedroom with the kitchenette seperating the two rooms was awesome! It was so nice to have a little extra room to relax and unwind. The staff was extremely nice. Daniel on the desk and a lady checked me in quickly and efficiently. The night maintenance man was very helpful. We had an a/c issue, and he quickly had us moved to a new room and offered to help us move. Great service is always appreciated!!!
On a different note to ownership: Change the mattress pads. The rubber backing is hot and uncomfortable, and they creep and crawl off the bed. After I removed it for the second night, it made the bed feel totally different!! Invest in a fitted/quilted type :)

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Lexusjockey,

We appreciate knowing the things that please you as well as those areas that need our attention. It is our goal to provide the high quality standards you have become accustomed to from the Holiday Inn Express brand. Thank you for your suggestion to change the type of mattress pads that we use on our beds. We strive to please all of our guests and appreciate your comments.

Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed 15 March 2012

I wanted to take a few minutes to express my heartfelt gratitude and appreciation for the way were treated during our stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Wilmington. My family was displaced because of a fire on February 23rd. We did not know where to go that night and just showed up at the front desk about 11 pm that evening looking for a room. We ended up staying there for a total of 8 days.

I can not begin to say how welcoming, helpful and friendly the entire staff was towards us. I wish that I could remember everyone by name because they all deserve individual recognition. From the front desk staff, to the ladies that worked during breakfast, to the housekeeping staff on the 4th floor - they were all so caring. Even the little things, like the gift basket with snacks for my children, meant so much to my husband and I.

I have and will continue to tell everyone how special the staff made our stay there and will send anyone that comes to visit us to this property!

We are in a new place now but I miss seeing them every day!

2 Thank Melissa P
WilmingtonNC1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center, responded to this review, 17 March 2012
Dear Melissa P.,

Thank you for writing a TripAdvisor review describing your recent stay at our hotel. I appreciate the time you took to make your comments. I am so glad to hear that my staff played an essential role in turning a very bad situation for you and your family into one that wasn't as bad as it could have been. I have passed your remarks along to all of our staff so that they will know that our guests recognize it when they are provided with such great, personal, and caring service.

Thank you, again for all of the kind words in your review. We also appreciate that we will be hosting your out-of-town friends and family from now on! Please stop by sometime and let us know how things are going for you and your family. We look forward to seeing you again at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center.

Central Virginia
Reviewed 1 March 2012

We checked in Monday, February 20 and checked out Tuesday, February 28. We were in town for an extended visit following a death in the family. We did not share the reason for our visit at the beginning. Hotel staff were very friendly and helpful from our first night there. Over time, we mentioned the purpose of our visit to a few staff members. There were several times when staff members checked on us just to see how we were doing. One offered assistance finding local contacts for funeral related issues. The weekday breakfast hostess greeted us every morning she was there and made sure we had what we needed for breakfast each day. The coffee pots always held fresh coffee, no matter the hour, which was a huge bonus. We did have a couple of minor housekeeping issues over the week, but they took care of them very quickly.

We really felt like they were trying to help make this trip easier on us. The caring attitudes we experienced were a blessing.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
WilmingtonNC1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center, responded to this review, 2 March 2012
Dear All50in15,

Thank you for taking the time to fill out a TripAdvisor review describing your recent stay at our hotel. I appreciate the time you took to make your comments and hope that we will always be able to provide a great experience for you when you’re in Wilmington (though next time, we certainly hope for your trip to be under better circumstances). I have passed your remarks along to our staff so that they will know that our guests recognize it when they are provided with such good service.

I am so glad to hear that most aspects of your stay were enjoyable. We know that our guests value things like fresh coffee and a genuinely service-oriented staff, and I'm glad that you were able to enjoy those perks during your stay. I do apologize for whatever housekeeping issue arose during your stay, but I'm happy to read that our staff was able to correct it immediately for you and your family.

Thank you, again, for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to share your experiences with other TripAdvisor members via your online review. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center.

Raleigh, NC
Reviewed 27 February 2012

We arrived around 1:30 and check-in was a breeze. The front desk staff was great and even found us a discount on the room. You don't find that very often. Our room was on the third floor and was nicely appointed and very clean. As I've stated in my other reviews, cleanliness is the most important aspect of a room. The room had a refrigerator, microwave, coffee pot, and a nice flat screen t.v.. Also, there was a vending area on our floor with, believe it or not, affordable drinks. The bed was comfortable and there were a wide range of pillows to choose from. That was nice. If you didn't like one pillow, try the next. One of my gripes in my last review was that you couldn't close the blackout curtains. Well, they fixed that too. The room stayed nice and dark in the morning. The one thing that did bother me was the AC/Heat unit. I had full control over the unit and it performed perfectly, but it was a bit loud. I don't think there is much that can be done about that, though. And, it didn't wake me up at night, but I noticed it when watching t.v.. The complimentary breakfast was okay. I was surprised that it contained eggs (just okay), bacon, and hot cinnamon rolls. Nice! If your looking for a place to stay near UNCW then this is the place for you. It's a bit tough to get to when coming North (?) on South College. I turned into the Jeff Gordon Chevy dealership and you can cut through to Jeff Gordon drive. That connects with the road the hotel is on.

Dear DayAtTheBeach,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center by filling out a review on TripAdvisor. Your willingness to share your thoughts with us is genuinely appreciated.

I was pleased to learn of your satisfaction with our staff, facilities and that your stay was so enjoyable. With your input, we can constantly monitor our product to maintain high standards of quality and performance that have become a Holiday Inn Express & Suites tradition. Thank you, especially, for your comments regarding the things that we have improved upon since your last stay. We truly appreciate that you gave us another chance to give you the great stay that we strive to offer!