“First Class all the way!”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center
Ranked #11 of 45 Hotels in Wilmington
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We stayed over the 4th July Holiday weekend to visity my son and I can honestly say I have never been more pleased with a hotel stay! The staff was super friendly, accomadating and the room was spacious, clean and quiet. The complimentary breakfast was right out of the top drawer! It was fresh, a large variety and what you would expect to pay top dollar for and all complimentary with your stay. I cannot say enough about he wonderful staff and the location was central to everything in Wilmington. I will definately stay there again!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
WilmingtonNC1, Assistant General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2013

Dear PeasandCarrots0919,

Thank you for taking the time and letting us know how much you enjoyed your stay with us over the holiday weekend! We are happy to hear you chose to spend it with us and I'm so glad we were able to make it a great weekend with your family.

We look forward to seeing you and your family again when you come visit your son in Wilmington!

Reviewed 5 July 2013 via mobile

My sister and I stayed here for three days.The bed was so uncomfortable it squeaked everytime you moved, the sheet was too small and kept slipping off the bed.My sister spoke with management and nothing changed.There was a leaking ceiling on the 5 floor and water was being collected by trash cans.We were in Wilmington for a funeral and needless to say staying here was a huge mistake!Go any where but here this place is quite dismal! It is a shame we were even charged they couldn't pay me to stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank teressajg
WilmingtonNC1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2013

Dear teressajg,

I want to thank you for bringing these issues to my attention the morning you were here. We don't not take these issues lightly, they are being attended to and followed up by myself personally.

You have my sincerest apologies for any inconveniences this has caused you and your family. I hope that you will give us a try again if you are ever in Wilmington as this is not the service we strive to give our guests.

Regards,
Kevin A. Archer

Reviewed 5 July 2013

We booked a room for my wife's birthday on the sixth of July. Our stay was supposed to be from July 4 to July 7. We have an 16 month old who we needed a crib for. We called the hotel in Wilmington on Van Campen Blvd to confirm a crib on Tuesday July 2, because if we could not get a crib at the hotel, we could always bring our own pack and play, but because our vehicle did not have a lot of room, if we could avoid bringing the pack and play, we would be better off. So we spoke with a gentleman at the front desk and he said that a crib would not be a problem and he would put it down on our reservation.

Well to our surprise when we showed up at the hotel on July 4th no crib. We were told at the desk that we should have never been told that, cribs are first come first serve. Now, had we been told that to begin with we would have brought our own, we own 2 of them, and the fact that the manager on duty sat on in he office and did not even bother to come out and talk to us other than to say we do not have a crib, we went off looking for a pack and play. The gentleman at the front desk was very apologetic, but it would have been nice if the manager showed even the slightest bit of concern for our problem.

When we could not find a pack and play we had to go back to the hotel and cancel our reservation and drive the 2 hour drive back home, after being at the beach and driving down to Wilmington that morning. Needless to say with an 16 month old in the car all day it was not great for the baby either.

You know, I understand that things happen, but this was a special trip, as it was our first alone as a family since our daughter was born, and we were so looking forward to spending a lovely weekend in Wilmington. That is not going to happen now.

I know you hear this all the time, but my wife used to travel for work and she would go out of her way to stay at IHG properties as she, and we, have always been happy with our stays. This particular Holiday Inn in Wilmington is one we have stayed at at least a dozen times over the past 3 years, and maybe that is not a large number of stays, but I think that shows some loyalty as those stays along with stays at the Holiday inn and the StayBridge suites represent everytime we have been down to Wilmington in the past 3 years. We have only stayed at IHG properties on our trips to Wilmington.

I just wish we were given the correct information so we could have enjoyed my wife's birthday and our first vacation as a family.

Room Tip: Always bring your Pack and Play do not trust that one will be there for you.
1  Thank jeremydunne
WilmingtonNC1, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2013

Dear jeremydunne,

Thank you for taking my call yesterday. After we disappointed you at check in, I appreciated the opportunity to speak with you personally and your willingness to stay at our hotel again in the future. Your experience has been shared with our entire front desk team so that our staff is on the same page with our crib and rollaway bed offerings. We understand the importance of providing consistent information to our guest and will strive to meet this consistently in the future. We look forward to your next visit.

Pierrette

Reviewed 5 July 2013

Warm and friendly staff, very helpful.
Breakfast is fresh and the staff is very nice. Fruit is fresh, several items to pick from.
Pool is clean and well maintained.
Housekeeping is very good and our room was kept clean and well taken care of.
Front desk staff is very help and willing to serve you.
Management is available, friendly, and care about you.
Will be back!

• Stayed: July 2013

Dear Sparkytobear,

I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay in Wilmington. It sounds like you had a great experience with all the departments of our hotel! Thank you for all of your kind compliments and I will make sure to share them with our staff.

We hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed 2 July 2013

My standards and expectations are high when it comes to customer service and safety. The staff at this hotel not only met my expectations, but far exceeded them. We were asked by every staff member we met if we were enjoying our stay (all staff had genuine smiles and were eager to help me which tells me that management takes care of them and they love their jobs). The complimentary breakfast included hot items and we received partial table service. When we asked for a cot, they refused, citing that a cot in a Double Queen room is a fire code violation. In a day and age where staff/management/owners of public establishments (hotels, restaurants, etc.) don't typically follow guidelines set forth by the state, I was glad to see this hotel abiding by the rules that were designed to keep my family and me safe. After staying in Ritz-Carlton hotels, I can confidently say that this is THE best experience I have ever had in a hotel!! Thank you, Holiday Inn Express - Wilmington!!! (I posted this on facebook as well)

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Dear sbrewer001,

Thank you so much for that amazing compliment and I will be sure to share your great review with our entire staff! I apologize for not being able to accommodate the cot in your room, but thank you for recognizing that we take the safety of our guests seriously and wouldn't anything to happen to your family during your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you and your entire family back to Wilmington in the future.

Reviewed 2 July 2013

We have been staying at this hotel for the past 9 years and will probably be our last. We checked in with an upgrade and when we arrived at our room, the door was open and maintanence was inside repairing the AC unit. One of the housekeeping staff was kind enough to go back down to the front desk to see what was up. We did not see her again, but another person, (no clue who) told us to go back down to the front desk to get a different room. We did and all the five people at the front just looked at us like they had no idea what we were doing down there. The maintenance guys (Tim and his supervisor) were very kind and told us they would get the room finished up in a few minutes and we could go back up and get settled in. We did and they were most apologetic about us having to wait and be in the room while they did the repairs. Upon unpacking, we noticed 3 of the peices of furniture had legs that were broken and sitting at a very uneven position. Tim did screw on of them back in while they were there. We noticed the others ones were broken after they left. We got a chance to unpack our bathroom stuff and noticed caulking comming out and some missing around the Jacuzzi, and paint peeling off the overhead AC vent. The shower was awful. There was no place to place any items other than the bar of soap, except on the floor. There was never any hot water, only warm and that was after we let the water run for at least 3-4 minutes in both the shower and the faucet. (what a waste of water, especially when they have notices in the room to hang your towels back up if you wish to conserve resources!)
When we got back from our visit with our family, we sat down on the couch and I noticed the fabric on the whole arm of the chair was ripped off.
There was only one trash can in the bathroom, and none near the desk or the kitchen. We did ask our housekeeper for another one the following day and she was great about getting two of them for us. There was also no dish towel in the kitchen near the sink.
On Sunday , we arrived back into our room after breakfast and the ceiling was leaking. We were going to our daughters for the day, and maintence came up to fix the leak while we were gone. We had towels down, it was leaking that bad. When we got back late Sunday night, the towels were still on the floor where we left them and the filter was not put back in the AC unit. It was sitting by the wall near the TV. We didn't bother to notify the front desk as it was late, we were not going to move rooms, and we didn't think maintence was around to come fix the problem, and we didn't want them in the room at 10pm anyway. When we got up Monday morning to leave, housekeeping had not stocked our bathroom ( I am guessing that maintence was still in there working and she could not get in to the bathroom) so we had only one bath towel between the 2 of us. You can guess that we were not happy campers.
The elevator has to be the slowest one ever. We took the stairs when ever we needed to go up or down. Every time we did, water was standing on the floor in the stairwell with towels and rolls placed near the door to soak up all the water. It was raining the whole time we were there, so we can understand where the water came from.
We did notice while eating breakfast (which was good, well run and stocked) the manager was around the breakfast area checking to make sure everything was running well. I was going to tell him about all the missteps while we were there, but never could catch him and didn't have time to wait as we had family obligations right after breakfast.
The housekeeping staff was great as were the maintenace staff. We had no problems with them until the episode on the last night.
I do not think the hotel has been refurbished at all in the 9 years we have been staying there, and the whole place looks tired and run down. I got the impression this is a new manager and they are trying to attend to things, but we will not stay there again. We never once got a call from any of the staff to make sure the items we reported were taken care of.
There is a nice Staybridge Suites just down the road, so will try it next time we visit.

Room Tip: we were in Room #226. The layout was good as it had a seperate kitchen/living area from the bedroom...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
WilmingtonNC1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2013

Dear patspetpalace,

First of all that you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. I greatly appreciate it and I can assure you that all the issues you had will be followed up by myself personally.

For a guest to have multiple problems during their stay is unacceptable and not what we want anyone to experience. I am new to the property and we are also undergoing a remodel so I hope that you would consider giving us a try again once we are completely finished.

Regards,
Kevin Archer

Reviewed 1 July 2013

The entire hotel was very clean. Our room was very clean & comfortable. The staff couldn't have been more kind & respectful. The general manager was also just as pleasant, and made sure we were enjoying our stay. The breakfasts was always great and plenty. The pool was perfect for my son. He enjoyed swimming, meeting other kids & relaxing. Everyone went above & beyond to ensure we were happy with our stay. We walked around, the area was nice & safe from traffic.
If I need to stay in a hotel again in Wilmington, it would only be at this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Dear angela n,

I'm so glad you and your son enjoyed staying with us! I will be sure to pass your kind praises on to our staff and let them know all their hard work pays off. We look forward to seeing you and your family again during your next trip to Wilmington.

Have a wonderful summer!