Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center
Ranked #20 of 44 Hotels in Wilmington
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Great hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013

Great experience. Had two adjoining rooms one of which was handicap accessible because my wife is in a wheel chair. This was the best handicap room that we have stayed in that met our needs from the bathroom having enough room to manuever the hoyer lift to the bed not being boxed out so we could get the lift under the bed to easily get her into bed. The breakfast was great and the 2 ladies who were working during our stay were great...very pleasant. You should let them put out a tip jar. Housekeeping and front desk were excellent also. Would stay there again without a doubt.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

WilmingtonNC1, Assistant General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Dear Matt F,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how much you enjoyed your stay with us. I'm happy to hear that you and your wife found the handicap room fit all your needs. I will be sure to let our breakfast attendants, front desk, and housekeeping know that your family thought they were great.

Thank you again and we hope to see you soon!
Anna Mullens

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

I have stayed at this Holiday Inn Express & Suites for several years now while conducting business in the greater Wilmington area. Over this time I have had no problems and have always been treated extremely well as a Platinum member . The recent renovations have been very nice and the planned renovations for the lobby and breakfast area will only add to the warm and friendly feeling one feels when they first enter the hotel . While the people at the front desk have always been polite and professional I must say that during my very recent stay the two young ladies that were at the front desk when I checked in ( just after 7PM ) were exceptional in the way and manner they greeted and offered suggestions to a very tired traveller ( made me feel right at home ) .

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

WilmingtonNC1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Dear Jerry M,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us how your stays have been. I'm glad to hear that you are as excited about our lobby renovation as we are. We expect everything to be completed by the end of this year. I will look into who was working during your last stay and will relay your praises to them.

Thank you for being such a loyal guest.

Steve Janoski
Durham, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

My boyfriend and i checked in this hotel yesterday afternoon. I opened the refrigerator and it was not cold. It was turned to "max" , so I called for someone to check it. The fellow checked it and set it right for us. He said that the maids will turn off the refrigerators when the room is not occupied....this is so gross! Don't they know that mold grows in refrigerators when they are turned off and left closed??? Luckily, I had my wet wipes to wipe the interior.
As we settled into the room, I noticed a plastic bag with a toilet plunger in it next to the TV. GROSS!!! I set it out in the hallway and called the front desk to let them know it needed to be picked up.
I went out to buy milk and snacks. When I returned to the room, and unpacked, I noticed a pair of socks in the open "closet" area on the floor. I thought they belonged to my boyfriend, so I did not mention it to him.
The next problem arose in the morning. We had been out the night before and had not used the TV. I turned it on to watch the Today Show, only to see that NBC had "no signal". So I went to my second choice- ABC...which had "no signal". I called the front desk and they said there was nothing they could do about it.
When I went down to get my breakfast, I stopped at the front desk and complained about the TV. They offered me 2000 rewards points, which I agreed to accept, but I did not feel it came close to accounting for the lack of service.
When my boyfriend and I were packed and about to leave the room, I asked him "Aren't those your socks?". He picked one up by the edge and said "No". We looked at each other in horror...realizing that someone's socks had been left in the room...in clear sight...now we were wondering- did they even clean the room??? I took a picture and went to the front desk. They were not as appalled as me...and offered me 1000 rewards points (a room costs about 15,000 points so this is not a significant amount)...which I took...but does not come close to taking away the nausea feeling I had from staying there.
I am now a member of the "Never again " club for this hotel!!!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
WilmingtonNC1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Dear Wendy W,

First off I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review of this past weekend's stay with us. Secondly, I would like to apologize that this stay was anything less than satisfactory. We strive to make every guest's stay memorable and we failed to do that with you. The refrigerator, plunger and socks were an unacceptable oversight on our part. I am personally following up with each department to ensure this does not happen again.

Unfortunately, there were periods of time this weekend where our cable provider lost signal. This affected the televisions in our hotel and I am sorry that this was not something we could fix. I do however, understand this is an inconvenience to our guest.

Please accept my sincerest apologies and if there is anything further I can do please feel free to contact me.

Best regards,
Raleigh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

Everything was great. The room was recently renovated, clean and quiet. The hotel began breakfast service at 3:30 AM to acccommodate 1/2 marathon race participants. The staff greeted us that morning with smiles and a full breakfast bar. The staff went out of their way to accommodate us. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family

Dear Amanda J,

Thank you for letting us know how your stay was for the half marathon. I'm glad to hear you found our staff accommodating and you enjoyed our renovated look. We try our best to make race day as easy as possible for the participants.

We hope to see you again next time your in Wilmington.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

I travel weekly for work. After such long day working along the coast, I need a nice place to relax. When I was here the first time, I stayed overnight at one of the other hotels, but after I found this one, I desire not to stay anywhere else in Wilmington. I've stayed here several times, so I look forward to staying here. Best rooms in Wilmington!! The absolute best breakfast among hotel chains. Most of your nice hotels which don't have much truck parking, Holiday Inn Express here in Wilmington, NC have limited space available for you and your tractor-trailer. So come on in and enjoy all their amenities. Such an array of shopping and eating restaurants within walking distance actually!

Room Tip: Very reasonable price in rooms, being this close to the beaches.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Dear PhillipStacey1974,

Thank you for letting us know how your recent stays were. We love to have repeat guests and I'm glad you found us.

We look forward to seeing you during all your stays in Wilmington.

Summerville, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013

Everything was great, The staff all made us very welcome are they went out of their way to insure that we were taken care of. The morning breakfast was great and there was plenty of food. They always kept the coffee pots full.

Room Tip: If you are in Wilmington this a excellent hotel choice
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

WilmingtonNC1, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Dear Cecil R,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing. I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! Our entire staff had so much fun with your group and it was an honor being your host hotel for the week. If you ever find yourself back in Wilmington I hope you will come see us.

Best wishes,
Pierrette Cortner
Wilmington, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

Traveling for work, I have easily stayed at more than a thousand hotels. For many of those years, I frequented a competitor of Holiday Inn. I recently decided to try somewhere new, and chose this hotel. Best. Decision. Ever. The rooms are clean and comfortable, the food and snacks are awesome, and wi fi is reliable and fast. All that is secondary to the service. I have been greeted with nothing but smiles and helpfulness after four hour drives or long hours with customers. I recently was asked by my boss to get a report to him ASAP. Not only did Dominique, Tammy and Adam assist me with printing, faxing, and scanning, but they did it while making me feel like I was in my home office with three assistants. They solidified my business with Holiday Inn for the rest of my career, and I offer any fellow road warrior my highest recommendation.

• Stayed October 2013
WilmingtonNC1, Assistant Genereal Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Dear bthatcher23,

Thank you so much for letting us know how your recent stays have been! I will be sure to let Tammy, Dominique and Adam know how much their help was appreciated during your stay. I'm so glad they were able to make it memorable for you.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Wilmington on your next trip.

Safe travels!