Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center
Ranked #22 of 44 Hotels in Wilmington
Forest City, North Carolina
“Nice Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed several days at the Holiday Inn Express and found it to be excellent. The staff was friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean and fresh. The breakfast was excellent. If you have business in Wilmington, or want to get away to one of the beaches, this is a great place to stay. We were impressed!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Wahoo M
Steven J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to fill out a review.... We are so pleased that you and your family enjoyed your stay. Looking forward to your next visit.

Steve

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

This was a family with friends "research trip". We are new to North Carolina, so going and explore the beach before the summer was a must. The hotel is very clean and updated. The breakfast was super good even though we had a power outage for 3 hours due to an accident in the area the personnel was very accommodating and had something available all the time. Once the power was restored at 9am approx the warm plates were available fast.

Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Ortiz-fam
Steven J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Thank you for your kind words, we take hospitality seriously and we are pleased when guests like you notice. We are looking forward to having you again soon.

North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

This is a great hotel! The staff is welcoming and very helpful and useful during check-in/out. The rooms were super quiet as well. Great working space and sitting space without being too huge. There are restaurants nearby. Getting into the parking lot can be interesting once you go venture out but it's a great place to stay.

Room Tip: Rooms ending in _18 are just close enough to the elevator without hearing the actual elevator.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Steven J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Greetings,

Thanks for taking the time to complete a survey. We love taking care of our guests and we are pleased when it shows.

Stow, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

We stayed in 6 different hotels over 7 nights on our trip. By far, this was the nicest one - not even close. The staff was friendly and helpful at every turn. The room was large and comfortable and immaculate. The breakfast was awesome! They had scrambled eggs, bacon, biscuits, addictively sinful moist and delicious cinnamon rolls and a great selection of yoghurts and breads. The seating area was roomy and modern too.
The area that the hotel was in is very convenient to lots of things. We were visiting UNC Wilmington and it was less than 5 minutes away but downtown was also just 15 minutes.
The beds were also larger than most and comfortable and had the best pillows!
We highly recommend this hotel as a great value!!!

Room Tip: We were on the 5th floor and we liked that. They have two elevators and luggage carts so it was per...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Steven J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Greetings,

I have shared your comments with our staff and wish to thank you for your positive view of our hotel. We believe that it takes great people to take care of great guests. Looking forward to serving you again in the future.

Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

My sister, brother-in-law and I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center on our way down to Florida for vacation. We left Maryland ahead of dire predictions for bad weather and drove down to Wilmington as fast as we could. The weather did, indeed, catch up with us. We were able to meet with a friend for a quick dinner, and then the entire city was iced in.

We were expecting to leave the next morning to continue our journey, but the roads were completely impassible. We were able to stay an extra night and continue on -- very gingerly on icy roads -- the following day. The front desk staff, and all the employees we encountered, were helpful and cheerful, making a stressful time for us bearable.

If you have to be stuck in a hotel, this is a good one to be stuck in! We found our rooms to be large and clean. The beds were very comfortable. I was afraid that I would be unhappy with the location of my room across from the elevator and ice/vending machines, but it was really very quiet, in spite of the fact that the hotel was fairly full the first evening. The staff in the breakfast room had braved the weather to come in at 5 AM and get the breakfast ready. It was typical HIE fare, but there was plenty to eat. They were there the next morning as well, and it didn't seem that anything was lacking at all. On top of that, they were extremely pleasant. It couldn't have been easy for them (or anyone on the staff) to have to travel to work on time in those icy conditions.

We were able to walk next door to Walmart to pick up a game, which we played that afternoon in the breakfast room. Warm cookies and fresh coffee were a pleasant addition. We also were able to get to the Cracker Barrel just down the road for a late lunch. They were closing at 5 PM because any ice that had melted during the day would turn into a skating rink as the temperature went down. (And, yes, it did.) There was also a Carrabba's, I believe, next to Cracker Barrel, but they weren't open either day.

Thank you to the staff at HIE for making our extended stay pleasant. I would definitely stop here again if I come to the area.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Greetings,

Thank you for your kind words. We work very hard to make a difference in everyones stay. People are our greatest asset, both the guests and employees.

San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

I needed a place to rest for the night with enough room for me to park my 18-wheeler and decided to get a room at what turned out to be a wonderful hotel!

When I checked in, I was welcomed by a very nice young lady at the counter.

They may only have one washer and dryer but they did well for me on the first use so I could get my laundry done in a timely manner.

Someone from the maintenance staff wanted to check on an item that they would be ordering a replacement for. That told me they were on top of their game here, making sure it was well kept up!

The rooms were very comfortable and well appointed with a great wi-fi network, which made for a good environment where I could get my articles written on my laptop and submitted for publishing (yes, I also work as a freelance writer).

The only problem I had during my stay was by no fault of the hotel itself- but of a few local people in the area who have an obnoxiously loud exhaust system on their vehicles. With that being said, if you need to sleep well during the daylight hours, request an even-numbered room that's located on the back side of the hotel, away from the surrounding roads.

I accidentally left behind a hard case for my sunglasses and they found it in the room I stayed in. I paid for it to be shipped to my home in Texas and they definitely got it to me in a hurry!

If I'm ever in Wilmington, I will stay here for sure!

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank TXAgitator
WilmingtonNC1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Dear TXAgitator,

Wow! Thank you for the great compliment! I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and found everyone to be helpful and courteous. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to let us know how we are doing and for passing on the tip to other travelers.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Wilmington during your next visit.

Safe Travels,
Steve Janoski
Burlington, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

This is my third stay at this hotel. The rooms have always been clean and the beds are comfortable. My only complaint from my recent trice is when I walked in the entrance doors at the elevator, I immediately noticed a strong unpleasant odor. The area around the elevators also stunk. This was not a one time thing, every time we came and went the odor was still there. I am not sure it was coming from the housekeeping/laundry or not. There is a definite needs for some automatic air freshers in this area. This is a nice hotel and will stay there again when we are in the Wilmington area.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
WilmingtonNC1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
Dear Susan40509,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing. We love having our repeat guests tell us what they think. We hope you continue staying with us during your visits to Wilmington. Thank you for your suggestion for the automatic air freshener, we have forwarded it to our management company for consideration.

During the time you were here you may have noticed us doing some remodeling. This is expected to be done by the end of this month and by then we will have a great new lobby area to go along with our newly remodeled guest rooms. The smell was coming from different projects of the remodel that were being done around the property and has since gone.

We look forward to you experiencing our new look during your next visit.

Steven Janoski