“Three nights of greatness!”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center
Ranked #9 of 45 Hotels in Wilmington
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed here for Memorial day weekend as our son was playing in a basketball tournament up the road. We picked this hotel for the great rates, free breakfast and proximity to the tournament, the university (some of the kids wanted to check out UNC WIlmington while in town) and the beach! It was perfect! The rooms are spacious with a fridge, microwave and free internet. The breakfast is free and EXPANSIVE! HOT cinnamon buns, omelettes, sausage and gravy with biscuits, yogurt, fruit etc etc. Excellent. The staff was awesome and worked s hard to make sur everyone had a good stay even though they were booked SOLID for Saturday and Sunday night. They have a pretty large pool and deck area. Wrightsville Beach is about 4 - 5 miles away and an incredible beach to visit. Eat at the Oceanic if you can, It is on the pier and excellent also. I highly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: all good rooms that I can see
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Steven J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Greetings,

Thank you for your kind words we are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We work very hard to provide great customer service, and we are glad you noticed.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

I have stayed at this property 4-5 times in the last 4 years. It had always been clean before this trip and is in a quiet location. This trip I noticed that there was some renovations that had been done to the breakfast room which was good since the hotel was full and it added more seating.

I had a problem before I even got to the hotel with the front desk person changing my room rates when I added days to our trip (some nights were $80 more a night). I had great rates since I booked my reservations almost 6 months in advance. Luckily I called before I got there, found the issue and got it straighten out. But I really think that the only reason they honored the rate was because I had my original reservations with the rate on it (lesson - print reservations when you make them and call the 800 phone number when making changes).

I meant to see if they are under new management - The front desk staff was not as friendly and welcoming as they had been in the past. At one point we walked in with the owner or manager who was out smoking, I would have thought since he told us that he would have asked about our stay, but no - nothing was exchanged. I should have asked because prior to this stay everyone was wonderful.

As for our room, it was clean, comfortable and large - we had a king with couch and the bed was just perfect for me. There was little to no noise from the outside so you could get a good nights sleep. We we checked in the room and bathroom were extremely clean. We were there multiple nights and the room was not cleaned one of the days, I was assuming it was due to the fact that I changed my reservations. I didn't call to get it cleaned - it wasn't a big deal to me. However, they do need to clean around the hotel, they did not vacuum the halls - leaves blew in one day and they were there for 2 days. Even with that said, the maids were extremely friendly and polite which is a big plus to me.

The breakfast was great for a hotel breakfast bar - just enough selection. The staff that worked in the breakfast area was friendly and helpful, but it seems that when the hotel is full they could have two people out front helping with cleaning and resupplying.

With some of the issues I still rate the hotel a 4 because the room was clean, comfortable and quiet. These are the most important things for me.

Room Tip: The view isn't great in any room that is by the parking lot - we had a view of the back of walma...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Steven J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Greetings,

Thanks for taking the time to fill out a survey; it's through comments like yours that we can improve. I am pleased that you found the hotel to be clean and comfortable. I will make sure we pay better attention to detail even when we are busy or sold out. We need to shine regardless to the house count.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

While this hotel has been renovated (and the staff is friendly), the renovations can't cover up the fact that the hotel is not properly maintained/cleaned. When we checked in we noticed that there was debri (candy wrappers, paper, food...) on the floor in the hallways. The carpet in the elevator was disgustingly dirty, there were strands of hair in the beds, there was what appeared to be a kidney bean behind the toilet, the toilet itself was dirty, the shower appeared to have just been wiped down (NOT cleaned), the wand to close the curtains in the bedroom area was broken...I could go on.

Not a great choice for those who like clean hotels.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank 2travel_allover

Greetings,

First and foremost I would like to apologize for the state of your room. I have reviewed your comments with our housekeeping staff and the will use it as an opportunity to improve. I can assure you that we take great pride in the fact that we have a 100% sanitation score for both our breakfast area and our guest rooms.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

The location is convenient to Wilmington's business district and also Wrightsville Beach. Room was well-priced for our April stay, and was spacious, comfortable and clean. Bathroom large and spotless, plenty of clean towels. Maid service excellent and friendly, too. But the bomb-diggity was the complimentary breakfast. HOLY COW. Fresh-made pancakes, yogurt, bagels, muffins, bacon, English muffins, cereal, oatmeal, sausage, biscuits, gravy, scrambled eggs, juices, milk, coffee... I LOVE THIS PLACE!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Steven J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Thanks for taking the time to review our property. I must confess I love the Breakfast too. Please come see us again soon.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Stayed several days at the Holiday Inn Express and found it to be excellent. The staff was friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean and fresh. The breakfast was excellent. If you have business in Wilmington, or want to get away to one of the beaches, this is a great place to stay. We were impressed!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Wahoo M
Steven J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to fill out a review.... We are so pleased that you and your family enjoyed your stay. Looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

This was a family with friends "research trip". We are new to North Carolina, so going and explore the beach before the summer was a must. The hotel is very clean and updated. The breakfast was super good even though we had a power outage for 3 hours due to an accident in the area the personnel was very accommodating and had something available all the time. Once the power was restored at 9am approx the warm plates were available fast.

Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Ortiz-fam
Steven J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Thank you for your kind words, we take hospitality seriously and we are pleased when guests like you notice. We are looking forward to having you again soon.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

This is a great hotel! The staff is welcoming and very helpful and useful during check-in/out. The rooms were super quiet as well. Great working space and sitting space without being too huge. There are restaurants nearby. Getting into the parking lot can be interesting once you go venture out but it's a great place to stay.

Room Tip: Rooms ending in _18 are just close enough to the elevator without hearing the actual elevator.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Steven J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

Greetings,

Thanks for taking the time to complete a survey. We love taking care of our guests and we are pleased when it shows.