Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center
Ranked #23 of 44 Hotels in Wilmington
“Loud”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Clean hotel and decent breakfast. However, if you value your sleep this May not be the best place for you. I was kept up with my eight year old by kids running up and down the stairwell at 10:30 at night. I tried to call front desk several times, NO ANSWER! Next morning around 7:45 woken up my lawn mowers, blower, weed eater. I asked the front desk what was going on, I had to walk down since they didn't answer phone, her response was well it's louder on the first floor. No other answer, really. As a hotel you should NOT have lawn service conducted at such an early hour. I have stayed here before and had planned on it again but not after this time.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
SJanoski, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Thank you for the 3 Star Review! We do apologize for the inconvenience you encountered during your stay with us. We take our guest feedback very seriously, and will be addressing the concerns. We do hope to see you in the future.

Steve Janoski

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

Came on an overnight business trip. The hotel is close to the highway. COSTCO, Sam's Club, Walmart are all in close proximity if looking to do some quick shopping. Also free breakfast. Plenty of restaurants are all accessible via S College (Outback, Chili's, Wendy's).Spacious room with 2 Queen sized beds, desk, fridge and microwave. Even the bathroom was larger than expected (tub/shower, nice vanity). Wrightsville Beach is less than 10 minutes car drive away!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Steven J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Greetings,

Thank you for the great review, we are centrally located and have an awesome staff committed to serving are guests and that’s what it's all about for the travelers.

Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We stayed here one night just before Hurricane Arthur ( we had been camping at Carolina Beach state park). The location is very convenient to UNCW. The staff was all very very nice and friendly - every one we passed in the hall, the lady handling the breakfast, front desk, etc.
We always stay at Holiday inn suites, and this one had the best staff and best breakfast -- same choices as others, but fresher and hotter, not overcooked, etc. Pancake machine worked (yea).
The kids swam in the outdoor pool, which was clean and nice size for them. (I liked they had towels by pool and a drop spot to leave the used ones).
We had a room with two queens. (normally if whole family is travelling, we prefer two queens with the pull out couch, as we have 3 kids - not sure this one has this option).
The bathroom was clean, spotless - we had to ask for more towels (there was enough for 3 people - but this normal every holiday inn we go to). They delivered the towels immediately. (not even 5 minute wait).
We will definitely stay at this Holiday Inn again!

1 Thank TDug
Samantha V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Thank you for the wonderful "5 Star Review". We are so glad you stay with us, hope Arthur didn't ruining your camping trip completely. We hope to see you and ypur family for your future trips to Wilmington, NC!

Best Wishes,
Steve Janoski
Jonesville, North Carolina
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Clean Rooms and very friendly and helpful staff ( Thanks Meagan ) Good breakfast ,as usual :-)
The staff kept the breakfast items well stocked and were very quick to help you. Well greeted at check in and check out. Very professional and courteous with out that "fakeness" like "this is just my job" Just a few minutes from Wrightsville beach and other attractions. Nice pool area. Clean and relaxing. Parking lot well lit. Only 2 reason not "Excellent" is that they are not pet friendly :-( and there was no fan in the bathroom of the room I was in? O.o but could not find anything else wrong :-) and I was looking LoL

Room Tip: Ask for a room on second floor west side. That's away from main street/highway and away from po...
2 Thank 5FishingStooges
Steven J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Greetings,

I'm pleased that you enjoyed your stay, we are driven to provide exceptional service to all our guests and its' nice to hear you noticed. I'm happy you mentioned Megan at the front desk as she is new to our team and already making an impact on our guests. Looking forward to your next visit...

RAMSEUR
Reviewed 2 July 2014

The room was nice and clean. The staff was very helpful, friendly, and accommodating. Very pleasurable stay. We utilizes most all the amenities the hotel had to offer and were not disappointed with any of them. The buffet breakfast was tasty and plentiful. Complimentary coffee, tea, and ice water are always available at the front desk area. This hotel has changed my previous opinion on Holiday Inns. Holiday Inn will be my first choice next time I go on vacation.

1 Thank JULIE L L
Greetings,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We believe that are people make all the difference. I'm pleased to hear that you had time to utilize all the amenities that the hotel had to offer, after all they are there for you. Looking forward to your next visit...

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Was in town for my nephew's wedding. The stay was exceptional from check-in to check-out. The staff were caring, courteous professionals. The property was clean and the amenities plentiful. I traveled with my niece and her two young children (2 & 5 yrs). The staff were so helpful and accommodating, even when the kids' behavior was not the best. I would definitely recommend this establishment and will stay there every time I visit my nephew and his new wife in the future.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Steven J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Greetings,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay, traveling with small children is always an adventure. We understand that our people make all the difference.

North Carolina
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We were in Wilmington, NC for my great-nephews graduation. The main reason I chose this hotel was that I could use my Rewards Points. I booked 2 rooms, one with king bed and one with 2 queens. The beds were WONDERFUL. My parents said they slept great & so did the 3 people in my room. The hotel is located behind the Walmart. My nephews said it wasn't in a great neighborhood but we though it was fine. I had read on Tripadvisor good reviews of it. I would stay here again if back in the area. Upon checking in they had cookies for guests. They provided a wheel chair for my Dad who has difficulty walking distances. Dad's room had a noise, but couldn't figure out exactly where it was coming from. I thought perhaps it was the TV or fridge but I just unplugged one item & it stopped. Never figured out what it was, but apparently not the fridge. They didn't use the TV anyway, so they were fine. I plugged it back in before we left the next morning. I have read other reviews about the beds not being comfortable but we certainly didn't experience this at all. They had breakfast in the morning which was the usual fare. The entrance area was a bit small, but okay.The hotel has a bit of age on it, but we were satisfied with our stay. As stated above, I used points + $40.00 for my room & the other was $157.00 with senior discount.

Room Tip: The room with the noise was #433 or 431...can't remember which one, but it was the one closest t...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Steven J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Greetings,

Thank you for your kind words, we are pleased you enjoyed your stay. Great location, great service and great guests a winning combination....