“Perfectly suitable”

Ranked #10 of 44 Hotels in Wilmington
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
“Perfectly suitable”
Reviewed 30 August 2012 via mobile

This hotel is in a suitable location for a short drive to Wrightsville Beach or slightly longer to Wilmington, Carolina Beach and Kure Beach. It was clean and comfortable and we had no issues with staff. All very friendly.

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paul W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Ghent NY
Reviewed 29 August 2012

We've stayed here twice before and loved it. This time I was disapointed. It seems to me that there was much more personal attention to guests last time and a much more corporate feel this time. The Manager's Reception was nothing this time compared to last. One tray of food and that was it. Yes...free beer and wine. The hotel had been remodled since our last visit, it IS beautiful and very clean. The King size room is small compared to other Hampton Inns. But the King Suites are a very nice size. The breakfast was plentiful and delicious. I think it was quite expensive for what we got. The pool needed to be skimmed after a rain but no one even checked it. A guest skimmed the pool!!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 August 2012

I am an extremely picky hotel client! I flip the beds as soon as I get in the room. I check under the sheets, bed skirts, mattress seams, table tops for a cleaned surface, smells of the room, stains on sheets and pillows. You name it I pick at it just out of fear of past hotel stays. This place is immaculate! I was thrilled! The bed, pillow, blankets and sheets were heaven! I would have been happy staying in the bed all day! Bathroom was stocked and squeaky clean! We needed at few things while staying here added to the room and our needs were immediately met! Staff was so welcoming, always smiling, and polite. Location was close to resturaunts and stores. We could walk to at least 5 different resturaunts. Definitely staying here again!

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank perfectlypickyclient
alexandria, va
Reviewed 23 August 2012

We've stayed at three Hampton Inn's before and liked our experiences so we thought we'd give the one located in Wrightsville a try. We had never been to Wrightsville Beach in North Carolina.
This Hampton Inn, from the lobby was very nice looking. When asked what room we preferred, I chose the second floor. The room was a king suite with a kitchen. Upon first inspection it was clean. I tried the TV immediately to check the reception and it was terrible. There were two TV so I went to the other one in the bedroom. It was better, but still, for Cable TV, it stunk. This wouldn't have mattered if we had great weather the entire three day stay, but our weather was rainy most of the time so the TV is a must as far as I'm concerned. Anyway, I mentioned it to the desk, she said she would put a ticket in, but it didn't change for our stay, still bad reception.
This Hampton had seen better days. The ceiling was the drop ceiling type with the obligatory stains. The bathroom was ok, not super clean but not filthy. The tub had a big pink stain in the bottom and the stopper was hanging out and looked gross. The grout was dirty in places. If hotels want to appear clean, a simple redux in the grout makes a big difference. The bed was another story.
I have a bad back and cherish a firm bed. This bed was like a trampoline! I couldn't sleep the first night but took two Advil the second and it was better. The third night was not good, still no sleep. Another curious feature, and all Hampton's have this, are the thick down quilts on top of the bed. Why they only have a gigantic comforter in the summer I'll never know. We had to turn the a/c down in order to sleep under it. The thin velor blanket was too thin alone, the comforter too thick.
The bed did seem clean, although I suspect they just turned the sheet inside out for our visit, but I can't prove that. The kitchen was sufficient. They supplied plates, silver ware, cups, dishwasher detergent, but no dish soap, a hand towel and dish clothe. Also was a full size coffee maker, coffee, creamer, sugar, a microwave pop corn and S&P. Very nice touch. The suite was well worth the extra money for the extra room. There a (rip-off) Harris Teeter across the street for provision. Way over priced but they seem to have the monopoly of food stores in the area.
The breakfast was as usual, sufficient. The help there was nice and very professional. The pool looked well maintained but no one ever swam in it. There was a family of stray cats that would come out if you had food with you. Very cute even though I know it was a no-no to feed them.
There's a nature trail adjacent to the hotel. It's about a mile and a half if you go all the way around and back out to the main street. Nice walk and funny, there's even a sign that warns of it "being under surveillance". Big brother indeed. Wrightsville is a cool town. Great beach. If I were to go back, I'd stay somewhere nicer and just buy my own cereal and milk.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank free120
Maryland
Reviewed 20 August 2012

We stayed here for two nights while visiting the University of North Carolina Wilmington and the beach. The hotel is only a few miles from the university and is close enough to the beach to bike. The hotel is located very close to a wide selection of restaurants and shops and is right along a short walking/biking path.
The woman at the front desk was very welcoming and helpful. The room was clean and smelled fresh as we walked in. As a person who is very squeamish about hotel bedspreads I loved the freshly laundered bed covers. The room was not huge but was of an adequate size to accommodate three people. The beds were comfortable and the hotel was quiet so it was easy to sleep.
The hotel offers breakfast starting at 6:00 am which is perfect for those of us who get up early. There was a wide variety of offerings and the food was kept well stocked.
The hotel is very reasonably priced especially considering we were there in the summer and how close it is to the beach.

Room Tip: Our room was on the top floor facing the walking path and was very quiet.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank GAM01
Lance F, Assistant General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach, responded to this review, 31 August 2012
Thank you for your review and for choosing the Hampton Inn & Suites Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach on your visit to Wilmington. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and found our location easily accessible to your needs. We hope to see you again soon!
buckeyelulu
Reviewed 14 August 2012

we stayed at this hotel for the first time this week. it has its positives and negatives. the location is decent about a 5 or7 min drive to wrightsville beach. easy drive. the lobby is nice, inside and outside bar, nice looking outdoor pool and area. the hotel is located in a pleasant neighborhood close drive to the beach and restaurants. there is a small shopping center across the street. negatives - we had probs with check in - first neither of us keys worked so we had to walk down from 3rd floor to desk. we were given new keys and went back up. unfortunately there was another couple in the room we had been assigned. not cool. so we had to return downstairs again. this was frustrating after having driven all day. the hotel is very busy with many families/kids = noise. we probably wouldn't stay here again because of the thin walls/noise.

Room Tip: i'd choose a room on the end if possible top floor - 4th floor.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank buckeyelulu
Lance F, Assistant General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach, responded to this review, 17 August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience at our hotel. The problems you mentioned with your check-in process have been addressed. Again, we apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced during your stay. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention and we hope you will give our property a second chance if you return to the area. We would really love to have you back so we can show you what our Hamptonality is all about.
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Having been my first visit to this Hampton Inn, I was very impressed with the overall appearance, cleanliness and customer service. I was surprised at the quality of the bathroom linens, as they were described online as "plush towels", and were actually quite thin and a few random holes in them. However, this was minor and the cleanliness of the bathroom itself and the comfort of the room made up for it. I also was pleased to see that a washer & dryer were available (although I was not in need of using it, it was nice to know it was there if I did.) The courtyard was quite pleasing and I enjoyed finishing my morning coffee rocking on the covered patio and reading. All the staff was pleasant and greeted me if they or I happened to pass by. One suggestion would be to replace the "do not disturb" hang tags with ones that can be inserted into the key card slot. As I kept mine displayed during my entire visit, it became irritating that every time I opened or closed my door, it would fall off the handle. Overall, my experience was very satisfactory and I plan to visit this location again.

Room Tip: Ask for the fourth floor (highest) south side- view of the courtyard and pool. My room was 410.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience at our hotel. We are always excited to here from our guests anyway we can. We have addressed the issue with the towels as that is not the standard our guests have come to expect from Hampton. Again, thank you for your response and we look forward to having stay with again in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wilmington
SpringHill Suites Wilmington Mayfaire
Homewood Suites by Hilton Wilmington/Mayfaire
Sandpeddler Inn & Suites
Sandpeddler Inn & Suites
#5 of 9 in Wrightsville Beach
Fairfield Inn & Suites Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Carolina Beach Oceanfront
Courtyard by Marriott Carolina Beach

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach? Share your experiences!