“For An Extended Stay, This Is The Place”

Extended Stay America - Wilmington - New Centre Drive
Ranked #38 of 45 Hotels in Wilmington
Reviewed 8 August 2012

Moving to a new state, let alone a new house is something I hope I don't have to do again for a long time. I moved to North Carolina from New York in June of 2012. Having a house built that would not be completed for at least 3 months, I needed a place to live that was convenient to most everything in the Wilmington area, as well as provide the basic necessities I use everyday. I first tried to find a short term rental, which was a total pain in the neck - Plus other than rent, I would need to pay separately for utilities, cable/internet, waste. Even for a small 2 bedroom apartment I would have been looking at almost $2,000 a month! No Way. I did some research online which lead me to the Extended Stay America site. It seemed to have everything I needed; a space to sleep, work, cook, do laundry, have access to the internet, centrally located to every place I needed access to, AND all for a (monthly) price hundreds of dollars less than trying to rent. On my next trip down my realtor took me to checkout the Extended Stay in Wilmington. We talked with Kyle Melton, the Asst. General Manager who showed us a room and took the time to explain the benefits of the hotel. The suite was clean and spacious with a great kitchen area and desk space for work. I was sold – I booked a room. After almost 2 months now at Extended Stay Wilmington, I'm totally pleased with this temporary living agreement. Kyle, as well as all the great staff have been so helpful and pleasant to deal with, it's almost like being at home! I'll have no problem recommending Extended Stay in Wilmington to anyone that's looking for a place to stay, long or short term in southeastern North Carolina.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank John M
Jamie B, Manager at Extended Stay America - Wilmington - New Centre Drive, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2012

"It was very kind of you to take the time to publish such a positive review of your stay. It's always satisfying to read positive feedback from our valued guests, like you. Although some companies run extravagant advertising campaigns for their hotels, we believe that the best kind of marketing is the public praise we get from our millions of happy customers. Our staff is continually coached on how to best provide professional, accommodating, and friendly service to every guest. It sounds like we hit a home run in your case!

Reviewed 1 August 2012

You are pretty much on your own at this place. No maid service for the three days I was there. I cleaned my own room. If you want towels or wash clothes you have to go to the front desk and get it yourself. Never saw maid service. I had to make up my own bed. There were cigarette burns on my blanket and on the floor. The TV was horrible. Not only was it not a newer model flat screen but it felt like I was watching TV in a kids room because it was so small The reception was horrible. I had to move the TV several times just to try and get a good picture. The phone in my room didn't work so I had to call front desk with my cell phone, When I told them the phone didn't work they didn't seem concerned at all and didn't attempt to send anyone to look at it. I had to continue to use my cell phone or walk down if I needed something from front desk. It feels a little unsafe because there is no staff there after a certain time. Just a cage to lock around the front desk. You are pretty much own your own at this hotel. The pluses are it looks nice and decent and is in a good area. That's why I was so surprised that it was like staying at a motel 8

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank nicole n
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Wilmington - New Centre Drive, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our hotel Given our company's commitment to superior guest satisfaction, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. Please understand how truly sorry I am.

I am grateful for the opportunity to respond to your concern. I have spoken with my staff and reviewed the importance of being professional and polite with each and every guest, no matter how busy we may be. It is my sincere hope that apart from this unfortunate occurrence, the rest of your stay with us was satisfying.

Reviewed 27 July 2012

I booked two rooms, and paid for them two weeks in advance for July 5 - 8. We arrived around 1:30 on the the 5th. Check in time was 3:00. After confirming our reservations, I asked the clerk if I could use the restroom. (I take several medications including a diuretic , and I am a diabetic).His response was, "we do not have a public restroom". I was really suprised at his response, especially since, I 'd paid for my rooms in advance. I considered myself a paying customer. The young man in no way tried to accomodate me, nor the other members of my party, who were also paying customers. Although the check in was 3:00, I can not understand, why I had to go down the street to Targets to use the restroom. Usually, a business such as this one, has a restroom for customers. I've never had that response before. I've stayed in many hotels, over the years and I have never been treated so rudely as a customer.I also booked a non smoking room, and was given a room for smokers, with no apology, basically this is all we have was the attitude. I visited the same area for Memorial day weekend, and stayed in a motel, not as nice. I must admit, the customer service was much better at the motel. Although, I arrived early there, the clerk 's friendly service was more appealing.I really appreciated it.I will take friendly customer service anyday. I addressed this issue with hotwire, since I booked the room through their and aslo sent an email to Extended Stay Corporate. I did not get a response from either. Maybe, customer satisfaction and consideraton is not at the top of there priorities.Customer service should never be neglected, no matter what price you pay.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LadyAnn_12

Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your experience at our hotel. Providing for your total satisfaction, from the moment you arrive to the moment you depart, is my staff's primary duty. Hearing that we failed in your case is truly disheartening, and for that, I offer you my sincerest apology.

Our hotel prides itself on exceptional customer service. We know that you have many lodging choices in our area, so we see it as our duty to go the extra mile however we can. Not only is this my personal belief, but it is a guiding principle at our hotel. I have, therefore, reviewed with each staff member the importance of being professional and courteous to every one of our guests, no matter the circumstances.

Again, I apologize and promise you that we are committed to your total satisfaction. If there is anything you would like to discuss further with me or our guest relations team, please don't hesitate to contact us by visiting our website and clicking on the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page. I do hope you will give us the honor of having you as a guest again if future travels will bring you into our area.

Reviewed 16 July 2012

I had to make a business trip to Wilmington and chose to stay at this hotel. My advice is to stay away. There is nothing good I can say about this Hotel, if I can call it that. First, I asked for a non-smoking room, we were ginev RM 238. As we opend the door, there was a very strong order of smoke. There were cigarette burns in the sheet and one in the curtain. My wife let out a screem, when I ran to see what was the problem, A roach was crawling on the air conditioned unit. On top of the fridge, looked like it hadn't been cleaned in months, the dirt was all caked up in balls. I had to use paper towels we bought with us to wipe it off it looked so disgusting. The floor was stickey, and it felt that it hadn't been moped. The coffee poy was dirty and grimey. Looks like all they do is just rinse it out with water. Under the small kitchen sink, was full of water and looke like what appeared to be mice droppings. No tv, when I brought it to the attention of the front desk, his reply was " really, maybe you should check the cable connection" not I'm sorry, I will send someone to look at it. Thank god it was just a night. Oh and get this, when you go down to the front desk let's say at 6 or 6:30 there is no one there. There is a shut screen. These people go home after a certain hour. I have never been to a hotel where there was never someone at the front desk, no matter what time you went. Don't look for a pool or jacuzzi either, there is none. Stay away from this place. It's a good thing my wife takes lysol spray when we trevel.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Raptor47
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Wilmington - New Centre Drive, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2012

I recently received a copy of your review of the Extended Stay America Wilmington - New Centre Dr.. Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

Reviewed 5 July 2012

My stay there was wonderful. Everything was clean, the rooms were huge, and checkin/checkout was a breeze. When I left, I forgot a personal treasure in the room and the staff spent two days helping me track it down. The person who had cleaned the room wasn't working when I realized it was missing. The day shift and night shift were pleasant thru the whole process and once it was found, they promptly called me to let me know it had been located and kept it safe for me till it could be picked up. I have never stayed in a hotel before with such a welcoming, helpful staff. I can't wait till my next trip to Wilmington. I will definitely be staying here again regardless of price (Which was really good BTW)!!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank beachgurl84

Thank you so very much for your glowing review of Extended Stay Wilmington. Whenever I read comments like yours it always gives me such great pleasure. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. Please know that we would be thrilled to have you again as our guest should your travel needs bring you back to our area. Once again, thanks for all of your very kind words.

Reviewed 13 May 2012

We waited until the last minute to book this room through Priceline and found out later that it was the weekend of UNCW graduation so that's why the better hotels were already full. We got here just after 11pm and as the previous reviewers mentioned, the front desk staff leaves at 11pm. The door to the lobby was already locked and the front desk lady looked like she was about to walk out the door. She said, 'use your key,' I said that I hadn't checked in yet so she let me in and I checked us in without any difficulty. There is a phone in the foyer to get in touch with someone if the front desk is closed.

I really liked our room. A previous reviewer mentioned that they need to update the rooms. I would say it looks like it has been done. The furniture is in great condition and looks new. Yes, the comforter and velux blanket had a few cigarette burns in it, but that didn't really bother me. The sheets smelled like Chlorox, which I think is a good thing. There were only 2 pillows and they were pretty small. The worst part about the room was the smell. It smelled like musty urine when we walked in, but that's ok, I didn't feel as bad when my dog peed on the carpet as soon as we got into the room.

I've never stayed at an Extended Stay before, so I wasn't sure what I was signing up for when I booked this room. It's sort of like a poor man's apartment complex. Don't expect housekeeping everyday. They only come if you stay longer than 7 days. You want clean towels, gotta go to the front desk for those. There is no hair dryer. And they only give you 2 small bars of soap. No shampoo, conditioner, lotion, etc. This is the basics and nothing extra. The dishes are lacking as previous reviewers said, but that didn't bother us, because we didn't really need them. There was a coffee maker with a package of coffee, but only 1 coffee mug.

Overall, I think this is a great hotel for dogs. It's clean, but sort of smells. I wouldn't suggest this for someone traveling alone or without dogs.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank UNCball
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Let start this off as saying that Priceline got me a low rate, and I got low service. The place smelled liike pets, not a good thing for someone who is allergic to cats. I pulled bedspread off to find blankter with pet hair on it and old dog nails stuck in fabric. Very nasty!!! Bathroom was so small. The door is like an inch away from toilet when it is open. A soda in their machine is like almost $2.00. Location was good and close to alot of things, but no one there would help me find where I needed to go.

If you like cheap prices in cheap places, then stay here!!!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business