“Filth and Grime at it's BEST... You get what you pay for”

Extended Stay America - Wilmington - New Centre Drive
Ranked #38 of 44 Hotels in Wilmington
Wilmington, North Carolina
“Filth and Grime at it's BEST... You get what you pay for”
Reviewed 8 February 2013

Newly Renovated Rooms – Everything from new flooring and fresh paint to upgraded bedding and flat screen TVs. Better Rooms. Better Stay IT'S EVERYTHING BUT... Some friends and I are here in N.C. for work throughout May, after traveling 14hours from New Orleans, we were exhausted and in need of a good nights rest. Well needless to say that didn't happen, we were greeted at the front desk with LESS than perfect service, our questions went unanswered and those that were answered in YES/NO format. The next shock was once we got to the room, they advertise PET FRIENDLY rooms, but what they neglect to mention is that the pet friendly rooms and non pet friendly rooms are one in the same, our room/carpet was full of dog hair. After taking off my sweatshirt within a matter of minutes, my arms broke out into hives. Next on the list of flaws, after pulling back the covers, the linens were GROSS and full of STAINS, we called front desk and the clerk came up to visually insect linens, and after offering NO APOLOGY we were given new sheets from front desk, but that didn't make us comfortable. We initially booked the room for 3 months, and after dirty linens we demanded a refund, only to be told we were stuck in that room for the night but the duration could be refunded. It doesn't end there, go to take a shower and it GROANED like an ANIMAL being castrated. Again we cal front desk, and we were told to just let it run for a minute and it should stop. We march right back down t front desk to get Corporate number only to be told "we've been a problem since we arrived" can you imagine our response? BTW, we didn't get corporate number, we were told to speak with manager in am and she would handle it. Well now the morning came and the manager (Crystal or Criste) was just as bad as the clerks, she never made eye contact with us, she also offered no apology, and told us our refund will be mailed in 5-7 business days. We asked for refund for a horrible night, and she said NO. We asked her for corporates info, we were given the number and said ask for Guest Relations. Needless to say I wouldn't let my worst enemy stay in such filth.

We checked into the Wingate Wyndham the next am right across the street, and we've had nothing but a GREAT TIME, the rooms are hugh and spacious, new, clean, fresh white lines, 42" at flat Samsun Tvs, Plush Carpet, Accent Walls, Grantite Counters in bathrooms, hot breakfast every am, and the list goes on...and all for $71 a night

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Jamie B, Manager at Extended Stay America - Wilmington - New Centre Drive, responded to this review, 18 February 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Lexington, KY
Reviewed 4 January 2013

Great place! Staff very nice and helpful! Manager was extremely helpful. The beds were a little hard but okay. Very clean! Laundromat was handy! We enjoyed our stay but had to cut it short due to illnesses. I'll be back.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Wilmington - New Centre Drive, responded to this review, 8 January 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of our property on TripAdvisor! As always, it's great to see a positive experience posted by our guests. We're truly sorry you had to cut your visit short, but do look forward to having you back at our property. When visiting Wilmington, please keep our great staff, clean rooms, and convenient laundry facility in mind when choosing a place to stay. Thank you again!
Wingate, North Carolina
Reviewed 13 December 2012

Kyle Melton really showed that he cares about his job. This was not the first time that I stayed at this hotel but every time I have came, he has made the stay much more pleasant. If I ever had any problems he made it a point to come take care of it himself. I usually visit Wilmington more than once a year and knowing that I have a place like this to stay makes me want to visit more often. I have recommended this hotel to many of my friends whenever they go into town. My friends and I will definitely be back for New Years.

Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Wilmington - New Centre Drive, responded to this review, 17 December 2012
Thank you so much for your amazing review! We love to hear that our guests are not only having a great stay when they visit, but also love to (and plan to) come back again. Reading such a positive review, and knowing that you are recommending our hotel to friends and family is a great honor.

We look forward to having you back soon. As always, please don't hesitate to contact us with any lodging needs for you, your family, or friends when staying in the Wilmington area.
Ocean Isle Beach, North Carolina
Reviewed 13 December 2012

CLEAN, welcoming and almost more comfortable than your house. For 110 bucks this place is the best value in town! Enjoy a 5 minutes stroll to the nicest shopping district this town has. 3 or four very nice restaurants in the same area, and a State of the Art movie house right nearby, all walking distance....so get out there chubby america and enjoy this very nice gem for a measly 100 bucks...you will not go wrong. don't even consider the competition along market or college, the noise and traffic will get to you.... Please don't tell anyone so we can keep this one a secret!
Ha Ha

Room Tip: There all nice really no traffic or noise...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jake6284
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Wilmington - New Centre Drive, responded to this review, 14 December 2012
Jake - Thank you so much for the kind words about our hotel. It's always a pleasure to read positive comments from guests such as yourself. The staff and I strive to provide friendly service, clean rooms and comfortable surroundings for all of our guests to enjoy. It sounds like we were able to do just that for you! From the lack of noise to the great location of our property, we are so glad that you enjoyed your time with us.

If you are ever back in the area, we would love to see you here again. Please don't hesitate to call on us for reservations, we will be happy to take care of you. Thank you again.
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed 10 December 2012

I wasn't happy with the reason I had to stay at the Extended Stay America in Wilmington. However, I'm glad I found it. I wound-up staying for over three months.

While I had some small problems, as a testament to the staff, they were handled quickly and courteously! I, actually, was able to consider this place home for the time I stayed.

They made me change how I view booking a hotel when on vacation.

Thank you ESA Wilmington!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Wilmington - New Centre Drive, responded to this review, 13 December 2012
I would like to personally thank you for taking the time to write such wonderful things about your experience at our hotel. It is especially pleasing to know, given that your original reservation was with another property. Not only were we able to provide you with efficient and friendly service, but we were also able to show you a whole new way to stay. Such a lovely comment!

I and the entire staff at our hotel thank you for your very kind words, and we'd love to see you here again. Please don't hesitate to call on me for your future stays here or at any other hotel location.
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed 19 September 2012

I went for a wedding last weekend September 14-16. I arrived early 10am, I tried to check in early but rooms were not ready. They were ready at 12 pm. So I went to Target about 2 minutes away (Walmart i minute away). Then went to the beach for two hours. The room was ready by 12 noon. This was great, talk about early check in. It was very close to Wilmington downtown. Close to the beach. Close to bars, nightclubs, and other shopping. The staff was very nice and answered any questions like they would for a friend or family.

The rooms were a good size. The little things that were missing, you can ask for(hair dryer or extra towels/blankets) and they accomadated. The elevator smelled a little funny. The carpets felt a little old and the air conditioning leaked which made the floor wet. But I felt the room was more than sufficent.

I would definitely stay again for a long weekend.

Room Tip: The room needed a little cleaning up or renovation.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Jamie B, Manager at Extended Stay America - Wilmington - New Centre Drive, responded to this review, 31 October 2012
"Thank you so very much for your nice review of our property. Whenever I read comments like yours, it always gives me such great pleasure. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. As a member of the Extended Stay Hotels(sm) family, we are proud to be a part of the premier lodging source for business and leisure travelers looking for a great room at a great rate. We know that our largest asset is our loyal base of customers like you, which is why we are so firmly committed to your satisfaction. We know you have many lodging options in the area, which is why providing you and every guest with professional, friendly service is our priority.

Ocean Isle Beach
Reviewed 6 September 2012

My stay at the property overall was a good one, but what mad it an excellent one was Kyle Melton. Kyle went over and beyond the call of duty. We had an awful smell in our room. We I checked in he made me aware of the problem in advance. Also, he had been in the room earlier opening windows trying to let it air out. He made two other trips to the room bringing disinfectants in to help with the smell.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
"It was very kind of you to take the time to publish such a positive review of your stay. It's always satisfying to read positive feedback from our valued guests, like you. Although some companies run extravagant advertising campaigns for their hotels, we believe that the best kind of marketing is the public praise we get from our millions of happy customers. Our staff is continually coached on how to best provide professional, accommodating, and friendly service to every guest. It sounds like we hit a home run in your case!