“Great Service!!”

Ranked #16 of 44 Hotels in Wilmington
Wilmington, North Carolina
“Great Service!!”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Joe and John couldn't take care of us enough. We stay in a ton of Marriott properties and this ranks up there with service as the staff simply went out of its way to delight us. We will defintely stay here again!

Room Tip: It was nice for us and the kids to have a room on the courtyard so they could step out into the pool...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
ILMCY1, Director of Sales at Courtyard Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Thank you Travis K for the outstanding feedback from your guest experience while staying at our Courtyard Wilmington-Wrightsville Beach. We appreciate you recognizing the stellar efforts of John and Joe. It’s how we do business every day! Good room tip. We look forward to you guys staying with us again. Still plenty of great beach weather to be had. Thank you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I am a Marriott platinum member and was overwhelmed by the courteous staff. Many thanks to Joel and Crystal. They truly seemed to appreciate your business. Checked the appropriate number of times to make sure your room and meals were of great quality.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
ILMCY1, Director of Sales at Courtyard Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Jerry B. you are so welcome. We thank you for choosing to stay with us. The entire staff appreciates your kind review and praise for delivering outstanding customer service. It’s what we do every day! Please come back and see us again. Safe travels!
Sevenoaks
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

Simple question; would I stay here again? Yep.
It was clean and friendly. It felt pretty new and the rooms were a decent size. It doesn't quite have the wow factor and I wouldn't give 5/5 to somewhere that doesn't do complimentary breakfast but you could do a lot worse for the price point. It's a short drive to both Wilmington and Wrightsville Beach. I could go on a rant about how you have to drive everywhere in America but i won't.....!

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Bridger79
ILMCY1, Director of Sales at Courtyard Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Bridger79 we enjoyed reading your review of your recent stay with us. Thank you so much for choosing to stay at our Courtyard Wilmington-Wrightsville Beach. While yes, one does have to drive, our central location is very advantageous for those who wish to visit both the beach and our historic downtown riverfront. Wilmington is not nearly as old as your hometown of Sevenoaks in Western Kent, but the history of Wilmington is very interesting. We’re sorry that the Marriott Courtyard brand does not offer a complimentary breakfast but we hope you were able to enjoy our healthy and fresh offerings and a Starbucks in our Bistro. It was our pleasure to earn your business. Next time travel brings you back across the Atlantic, we hope you choose to stay with us again. I also enjoyed reading your review from Charleston. Very funny. Safe travels to you!
Goodlettsville
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I decided to get away for a couple days, by myself. I arrived at the Marriott at 12 noon and the woman checking me in was delightful and extremely helpful. I was able to check in early and headed out to explore. The room was clean and all staff were extremely friendly and accommodating. The women at the bistro at night were friendly and I enjoyed spending time with them.

The location was great, I drove to the beach during the day and went out for dinner at night. The gentleman at the desk on my first night, actually called me a cab to take me to the riverfront.

I felt safe staying there and look forward to staying again when I return to the beach.
Job well done to all!!

Patricia M
Nashville, TN

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
ILMCY1, Director of Sales at Courtyard Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Thank you masonnick for the lovely review. We’re so glad that you chose to stay with us. Our staff appreciates your very nice comments. We too love our central location directly between beautiful Wrightsville Beach and historic downtown Wilmington. We look forward to earning your repeat business, next time you return to our beautiful corner of the Carolina coast. Thank you!
Jackson, Mississippi
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I thought we were going to have a rough couple of days when we arrived, but that didn't happen thankfully. The hotel is clean, comfortable, and well-appointed. The rooms are a bit old, but not in disrepair and are actually very nice, as are the public areas. The staff, with one exception, is friendly and accommodating.

What got me at first is that I was met with a rude young man at the front desk when I tried to check in at 1:30PM. I travel A LOT, for business and pleasure, and I have never met with someone so unhelpful. He told me I could not check in, no way--no how, until 3:00PM. I've never been to a hotel that would not let you check-in if there are rooms available or at least check you in and give you a call when your room is ready. He wouldn't help at all. He didn't even offer to hold our luggage so that we could head to the beach or to lunch. He said that there were a lot of late check outs. My question is how do you allow late check outs in a full hotel when you have new guests coming and, come on, you cannot tell me that housekeeping has not overturned rooms by 1:30PM. If this is hotel policy, it is not hospitable at all. No matter, the rude desk agent needs more training.

Room Tip: Looking over the pool.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank David S
ILMCY1, Director of Sales at Courtyard Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Rocky is great when referring to Rocky Road ice cream or the Rocky movies; but not when trying to check-in to a hotel…Thank you David S. for the thorough review of your recent stay with us. Coming from a seasoned traveler such as yourself, means a great deal to us. We appreciate the kind words regarding our clean, comfortable and well-appointed hotel. The rooms were updated two years ago with a new one-of-kind Courtyard design package. As far as your arrival goes, the last thing we want to happen is for a road-weary guest to arrive and be told that no rooms are ready yet. When rooms are ready, we always allow guests to check-in. There is no such policy of not allowing guests to check-in early. Certainly we apologize to you for not feeling welcome upon your arrival. The front desk associate in question is regularly mentioned in Tripadvisor reviews for providing outstanding customer service. With Mid-July weekends being our peak of the tourist season, getting rooms ready for 3pm check-ins can be challenging. We are required to allow Marriott Rewards Platinum members a late check-out. Most do… I know we offered you the opportunity to store your luggage in our secure back office, which you respectfully declined. Again, we sincerely apologize for the rocky start but are so glad your stay was enjoyable. Safe travels!
New York City, New York
Reviewed 29 July 2014

My daughter and I spent four nights here recently. Pretty much everything lived up to billing from other reviews -- very nice and helpful staff, free USA Today and WSJ, the Bistro was well done with healthy food. We went swimming a few times in the outdoor pool, which was much needed in the intense heat.

The hotel is about 10-12 minutes away from Wrightsville Beach, which is nice and more low-key than the other beaches in the area. WARNING: I didn't see any umbrella or beach chair rentals there.

About 20 - 25 minutes away (depending on traffic) is Carolina Beach, which can best be described as "hopping." There's a boardwalk, amusement park, many restaurants near the boardwalk (the better ones are a 5-minute walk away from there), fireworks on Thursday nights, and live bands. You can rent beach chairs and umbrellas from Pleasant Island Rental but you are advised to call the day before or you may be out of luck.

Hotel wifi was aces, too. In our room and in the lobby.

The only reason this hotel does not get 4 stars is the air conditioning in our room. When we arrived at check-in, I asked them not to put us near any noisy roads and so we were given a very nice room on the second floor. However, the air conditioner was as loud as an airplane motor. It would shut off after reaching it s desired temperature, and then when it went back on, it was "time for take off!" It's 2014 -- Courtyard hotels really should have quieter more sophisticated equipment than this!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Hello PlasticMoonRain! A noisy A/C unit is not cool. The vast majority of our A/C units are new energy efficient units. Not knowing what room you guys were in, I can’t comment on the condition of the unit but we’re very sorry that the noise level was unsatisfactory. We do spend considerable time maintaining the units, especially in the summer. Thank you for your nice comments regarding our aces Wi-Fi, Bistro food and pool. Your tips regarding Wrightsville Beach and Carolina Beach will be very helpful to those reading your review. Next time travel brings you guys back to Wilmington, we hope to earn your repeat business. Thank you.
Kilcullen, Ireland
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for two nights during a brief stay in Wilmington. The Courtyard is certainly a notch above other competitors in the area in terms of decor and quality, though it is a little pricier. Our room was certainly nicer than motels we have stayed in. It was let down by marks on the bathroom wall however. The breakfast area is very nice and again a notch above. The place itself is a little cavernous, it a nice place to stay short term but do expect to pay a little more for it.

Stayed July 2014
Thank you POC-CW for sharing your guest experience with the Tripadvisor community. We’re so pleased that you chose to stay with us during your brief stay in Wilmington and appreciate the opportunity to earn your business. We make no apologies for being a little pricier than our neighbors. Courtyard full service amenities and superior customer service separate us from our competitors. We’re glad you enjoyed our Starbucks Bistro and hotel décor. Regarding the marks on the bathroom wall, this is a design embedded into the wall material. We’re so sorry that you felt it was a cleanliness issue. We can assure you that the walls are “spotless”. Next time travel brings you back across the pond from lovely Kilcullen, we hope you choose to stay with us again. Safe travels!