“this is a nice hotel”

Ranked #16 of 44 Hotels in Wilmington
virginia
“this is a nice hotel”
Reviewed 28 January 2010

the staff was great and provided all of our needs. whenver we visit wilmington, we'll be sure to stay at the courtyard if possible.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Hawthorne, NJ
Reviewed 9 January 2010

There really wasn't anything wrong here, except the long hikes to our room. There really wasn't anything good here either. Very bland, but a reasonable value.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
Durham, NC
Reviewed 8 October 2009

Since I've stayed at Courtyards by Marriott in the past, I expected a similar quality but that was not the case. The first room we were given smelled like mildew. The second room smelled of smoke--in a NON SMOKING hotel. The third room was much smaller than I had anticipated but we accpeted it. Since it was my husband's birthday weekend, I called the hotel in advance and asked them to prepare a wine and cheese basket or a nice fruit and wine basket. Upon arrival, we discovered a tin pail with several candy bars and a single bag of popcorn. Talk about tacky! I asked the clerk why I received that and did they ever think my husband might be a diabetic. She apologized but they never made good on my request.

The one positive thing about the hotel was their breakfast buffet.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bgibbs
KRDWilmington_NC, Manager at Courtyard Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach, responded to this review, 12 July 2010
Come on back! Renovation to all public space is now complete. Starbucks Bistro with full service restaurant / lounge in the evening.
Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed 23 July 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott Wilmington for two nights over the past weekend after they accepted my Priceline bid. After reading some of the reviews here, I was really concerned about the reports of musty smells, run down condition, rude staff, etc. We were pleasantly surprised when we walked in and were greeted by a friendly front desk clerk. We also talked to 2 other front desk clerks at different times and they were also friendly and helpful. They supplied us with extra towels, made change for us, and allowed us to check out late so that we could enjoy the beach and then shower before our drive home on our last day. The room (including bathroom)was spotlessly clean and stayed that way throughout our stay. We never noticed any musty smells at all. There was nothing fancy, just clean and comfortable and what I expect from a 3-star hotel. There was a small area in the lobby where they served breakfast for a charge. We didn't eat there so I can't rate it, but there were people there each morning.
The location was convenient for us since we wanted to spend time in downtown Wilmington and also Wrightsville Beach. It is just about half way between the two and the time from either hotel to beach or hotel to downtown is about 15 minutes.
There are some nice restaurants in Wilmington and two that we really enjoyed were Circa 1922 in downtown and Oceanic at Wrightsville Beach where we sat on the pier right over the beach. We had breakfast at a place that seems to attract the locals called Goody Goody Omelettes. The food there was good and the staff was really friendly.
All in all a great weekend and I wouldn't hesitate to go back.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
NC
Reviewed 19 April 2009

Restaurants, shopping and 5 miles from the beach. Van Campen Blvd leads you to all of this and more. Other comments mention the location being hard to find; I give you one U-turn on Market St. and you'll slide right in.
When we (my wife and I) arrived, we were greeted by a staff with personality. We found this to be nice compared to the cold, programmed sentences you get at other hotels.
We stayed in rm. 166. We suggest this room to those who want just a little bit more...King bed, large shower and jacuzzi tub.
Beach Tip: Be patient and prepared to pay metered parking; You can pay for parking with your debit card in some parking lots. $1.00 for the first hour; 3 hrs. for $4.50. It was worth it to us.
Food Tip: Go to Bone Fish Grill on Market St. We suggest: Bang-Bang Shrimp appetizer (spicey) and a HPNOTIQ Breeze Martini.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Atlanta
Reviewed 28 March 2009

This hotel has not aged well, but golly, has it aged.

The layout of this hotel means you will hike from the check-in desk to your room, so wear your sneakers.

The last couple times I've been there, the night crew seems ill trained. It almost appears the hotel has hired high school students, doesn't train them, and leaves them alone at the desk without so much as a phone number to call if they get confused. Check-in not only took a long, long time - I'm a Platinum Rewards Member, so it should be very, very quick - but the person at the front desk didn't seem to understand what he was doing.

My room was old. The furniture was old. The carpet was old and worn. The bathroom had harsh lighting. The curtains were old. The desk chair was stained. The TVs were black and white. OK, that last one isn't true, but the stuff in the hotel felt that old.

This place is more motel than hotel.

It's located in a commercial area with car dealerships and other cheap motels. Your room is practically on the highway, but louder.

There are better options - like the Residence Inn - nearby. Save yourself the misery. Don't stay here.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank CJKatl
Richmond, VA
Reviewed 23 November 2008

My fiance and I stayed at this property due to a wedding in the area. The rooms have been remodeled with new bedding, furniture and a flat screen tv; however, the hotel's structure and rooms are still very outdated. Carpet needed replacing, the air conditioner/ heating system is outdated and reeked of mildew in the room that we stayed in. The shower and water pressure was excellent. If I had to stay in Wilmington again, I would not stay in this property...the Wingate Inn is newer and nicer. If these things don't bother you...a definite upside to this property is the location...across the street from Wal-Mart and a short driving distance to restaurants, fast food, Target and a strip mall.

• Liked — Location and updated bedding
  • Disliked — Old building and rooms; Smelly room from A/C unit
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple