“Marriott should pull franchise”

Courtyard Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach
Ranked #15 of 44 Hotels in Wilmington
Columbus, Ohio
“Marriott should pull franchise”
Reviewed 22 April 2010

This is the worst marriott htel That I have ever stayed at. I am loyal to the brand and always try to stay at marriott brand hotels for both business and pleasure.This hotel was dirty,had no hot water in the early morning,was deserted at the front desk.The room was not clean and the closet door was cracked and possibly dangerous. The hotel is undergoing a renovation but I don't beleive this will solve the obvios manament problems and cutting corners I oberved and experienced. My notice to the staff of the problems led to a call to my cell phone by the manager who stated that He could not understand my complaint of no hot water because he could not duplicate the problem hours later.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank mhcol1
KRDWilmington_NC, Manager at Courtyard Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach, responded to this review, 28 April 2010
Dear Mhcol1,
We are very sorry that your recent stay with us did not exceed your expectations.

We strive daily to please our guests and understand your frustration.

The unexpected short distruption of hot water service was the fault of a contractor turing-off the hot water related to the on-going renovation. We corrected this issue as soon as we were made aware. This of course didn't help you, at the time. We're sorry for the inconvenience.

Our renovation will be completed soon. Please give us another try next time travel brings you back to beautiful Wilmington.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Durham
Reviewed 14 February 2010

While I would have rather stayed on the beach in Wrightsville or on the waterfront in Wilmington, this hotel was a comfortable, functional, and dependable place to stay. This property is an older Courtyard, but it's been kept up nicely.

The staff was absolutely fabulous, friendly, courteous, and accomodating--a pleasure!

The breakfast buffet is about ten bucks and very convenient. It featured two kinds of sausage, bacon, fruit, breads, grits, oatmeal, scrambled eggs and eggs cooked to order... among other items.

The location is good, though it may take some extra planning to access from Northbound College Road and westbound Market Street. Still, it's about halfway between Wrightsville Beach and the downtown Wilmington waterfront.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
North Carolina
Reviewed 1 February 2010

The phrase "no place like home" is true. However, travel is necessary. The travel is made eaiser when you find a motel that is "close to coming home". This is how I feel about the Wilmington Courtyard. It's not like going home, but close. The staff is always warm and friendly. The facilities are always clean and comfortable.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
virginia
Reviewed 28 January 2010

the staff was great and provided all of our needs. whenver we visit wilmington, we'll be sure to stay at the courtyard if possible.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
Hawthorne, NJ
Reviewed 9 January 2010

There really wasn't anything wrong here, except the long hikes to our room. There really wasn't anything good here either. Very bland, but a reasonable value.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
Durham, NC
Reviewed 8 October 2009

Since I've stayed at Courtyards by Marriott in the past, I expected a similar quality but that was not the case. The first room we were given smelled like mildew. The second room smelled of smoke--in a NON SMOKING hotel. The third room was much smaller than I had anticipated but we accpeted it. Since it was my husband's birthday weekend, I called the hotel in advance and asked them to prepare a wine and cheese basket or a nice fruit and wine basket. Upon arrival, we discovered a tin pail with several candy bars and a single bag of popcorn. Talk about tacky! I asked the clerk why I received that and did they ever think my husband might be a diabetic. She apologized but they never made good on my request.

The one positive thing about the hotel was their breakfast buffet.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bgibbs
KRDWilmington_NC, Manager at Courtyard Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach, responded to this review, 12 July 2010
Come on back! Renovation to all public space is now complete. Starbucks Bistro with full service restaurant / lounge in the evening.
Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed 23 July 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott Wilmington for two nights over the past weekend after they accepted my Priceline bid. After reading some of the reviews here, I was really concerned about the reports of musty smells, run down condition, rude staff, etc. We were pleasantly surprised when we walked in and were greeted by a friendly front desk clerk. We also talked to 2 other front desk clerks at different times and they were also friendly and helpful. They supplied us with extra towels, made change for us, and allowed us to check out late so that we could enjoy the beach and then shower before our drive home on our last day. The room (including bathroom)was spotlessly clean and stayed that way throughout our stay. We never noticed any musty smells at all. There was nothing fancy, just clean and comfortable and what I expect from a 3-star hotel. There was a small area in the lobby where they served breakfast for a charge. We didn't eat there so I can't rate it, but there were people there each morning.
The location was convenient for us since we wanted to spend time in downtown Wilmington and also Wrightsville Beach. It is just about half way between the two and the time from either hotel to beach or hotel to downtown is about 15 minutes.
There are some nice restaurants in Wilmington and two that we really enjoyed were Circa 1922 in downtown and Oceanic at Wrightsville Beach where we sat on the pier right over the beach. We had breakfast at a place that seems to attract the locals called Goody Goody Omelettes. The food there was good and the staff was really friendly.
All in all a great weekend and I wouldn't hesitate to go back.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple