“Absolutely zero customer service. Go elsewhere”

TownePlace Suites Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach
Ranked #12 of 45 Hotels in Wilmington
Reviewed 19 March 2011

I am a frequent Marriott guest and this particular hotel has to have the most appalling service of all the Marriott chain hotels I've been in.

I booked the room a week in advance, with requests for a room far from the elevators, foam pillows and an early check-in. As you might have guessed, NONE of these requests were honored. And they did not even care.

The hotel's check-in time is 3 pm. We were there at 2pm. Was the room ready, despite the request for an early check-in that really wasn't a ridiculously early or unreasonable time? No. It was not, the woman at the front desk said, and will only be ready at 3pm.

So we waited till 3pm and the room was finally released to us. Funny that while we waited, we observed other people check in and their rooms seemed to be ready before 3pm.

When we finally got to our room, guess what? It was RIGHT NEXT TO THE ELEVATOR, despite my SPECIFIC REQUEST FOR A ROOM AWAY FROM THE ELEVATOR. And instead of foam pillows, we were given feather pillows.

We wondered if front desk even bothered reading our requests. When I called to request a change of rooms, the front desk clerk really could not be bothered. All she could muster up was "We're really busy this weekend and this is the only room we have available." This, despite the fact that we had booked in advance, paid, and put in the requests early. The front desk clerk couldn't even bother to offer me a solution or an alternative either, like changing our room the next night (we were booked for 2 nights).

The lack of initiative or inclination to make good on any request or to do anything to find a satisfactory solution for a guest is utterly disappointing. In this day and age, hotel rooms are interchangeable to most consumers. There is nothing special about the rooms here or its location. Along with its non-existent service, potential guests to the area ought to look elsewhere instead.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 14 March 2011

This is our second time staying here and we would stay again. The service, staff, and cleanliness all get 5's in rating. Thanks marriott!

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed 9 March 2011

Can't beat the location or the apartment-like room with kitchenette. Modern conveniences. Lobby appears to have been fully remodeled. Very modern and nice. Can't beat price and location.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 March 2011

Every time I visit Wilmington my first choice of a place to stay is TownePlace Suites. The staff is always friendly and attentive. The rooms are always neat and clean and the kitchenette with the full fridge is a great way to save money by not eating out every meal. However, if you enjoy eating out there are plenty of good restaurants right near the hotel. Another great thing I enjoy about the hotel is the free breakfast bar. I get to enjoy a nice breakfast when I stay there, something I don't even do at home! The complimentary newspapers are also great and lets me know what's going on in the city. Although I am a native of Wilmington I have not live there in over 20 years. I still know the city very well and I can tell you that TownePlace Suites is in a great location for anything you need and offers an excellent value!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 February 2011

We've stayed at the Marriott TownePlace Suites a number of times when we visit Wilmington, NC. It is located halfway between the Ocean (Wrightsville Beach) and downtown Wilmington which are the two locations we always visit. Along with a great location the hotel is excellent. Clean, roomy with a nice pool and hot tub. Complementary breakfast is included and a nice way to start the day. My wife and I getaway to Wilmington every two months or so. We'll be staying at Marriott TownePlace Suites again for sure.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 February 2011

We needed a clean, affordable room with a suite set-up since we were traveling with our 1-year-old. This hotel was clean, the staff was exceptionally friendly, and we love that there are 2 flat screen TVs in each suite. We can stay up watching TV and enjoying an adult beverage from the lobby market while the baby sleeps in the quiet private master bedroom. We would definitely return.

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed 26 February 2011

Hopefully none of you business travels nor your colleagues ever have to have the experience of meeting Christy and her giggly side kick at the TownePlace Suites Marriott in Wilmington , NC. Most importantly dont expect an accommodating or welcoming personality and greeting but a smug and prissy attitude. I do not know where Marriott is going to find their so called 'customer service' agents these days. We are beyond disappointment. I even attempted to call Marriott international customer service to find that they as well could not help and that the ridiculous hotel staff was out of their control. There was a 'cherry on the cake' though that at least made me laugh even in my disgust. It was when the front desk manager Christy actually tried to HIDE the guest comment card for this review site advertising that if a customer would post a review they would earn points! I had to wait until checkout the next morning to get it from a different employee who had to go find them after saying the manager had put them in the back... wow.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business