TownePlace Suites Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach
Ranked #12 of 45 Hotels in Wilmington
Reviewed 15 July 2014

My family and I stayed here for three nights on a beach vacation after spending some time with family and friends nearby. The hotel was mostly well-upkept and in a pretty good location close to the beach and other attractions in the area. The bed was nice and the kitchen had everything we needed to get by for a three-day stay. However, there were a couple of things that rubbed me the wrong way.

First, we had a very large and uninvited 6-legged guest, but being close to the ocean, I suppose that does happen at times. I was able to dispatch it with relative ease.

Second, the room we got (for my wife, my son, and me) was oddly laid out and quite small. It's like they just tried to pack way too much into the small space. My son slept on the sofa, and not with the bed pulled out. Pulling thesofa bed out would likely have created such a small clearance between it and the bed that it might not even pass fire code.

Lastly, we had to do some laundry while we were there. The washer and dryer were 2.00 per load EACH, which is twice what I've ever seen before. And the dryer was awful. Suffice it to say that inside the washer isn't the only soaking that was going on in that room.

Overall, it was adequate, a little disappointing, but not awful.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
TPS_Managment_Team, Guest Relations Manager at TownePlace Suites Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2014

The_Notorious_BLG, I want to first apologize about your visitor!!!! I would actually love it if you got a chance to call the hotel, just so we can ensure we get that area of the hotel a little extra treatment. We do have a regularly scheduled visit by our contracted exterminators that treat the property. I also wanted to let you know we do have a few different room types that hopefully would be more accommodating to you and your family. On your next visit I would be happy to give an upgrade, if it is available, to ensure a more comfortable stay. Hopefully we will hear from you soon!

Reviewed 13 July 2014

The staff are nice and welcoming. Hallway and stairwell floors are dirty, not cleaned often and smell funny. The rooms come with a kitchen, which includes: stove-top, fridge and dish-washer, great for a longer visit. Location is close to beaches, shops, restaurants and some attractions. The hotel is pet-friendly too!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

lemon100, Thank you for taking the time to review or property! We are pleased to hear you like our rooms and our staff. We will continue to work diligently to keep our hotel clean and welcoming. We'd love to have you back again in the future so we can serve you better!

Reviewed 3 July 2014

Decided to take a spur of the moment beach trip and stayed here. Upon arrival we were greeted by a very polite check-in clerk. He gave a detailed list of all the facility had to offer. The next morning we met Mrs. Lisa, she helped us so much in finding local attractions and even printed out a map for us. The housekeeping staff we will give 2 thumbs up, no problems at all. The entire staff that we came in contact with, which was a lot of them, were cordial, welcoming, concerned that all our needs were being met. I cannot say anything bad about this place, only wish we had stayed longer. Definately, will go back and highly recommend that anyone interested give them a try. I have read over a lot of hotel reviews in the past and I believe that most of the negative reviews were due to a bad attitude, not on the part of the hotel staff but on the travelers. Just remember, It's not the hotel staff's fault that you traveled in an enclosed vehicle for hours on end with a nagging spouse or children yelling or fighting. I find as a general rule if you present a positive attitude, you will get one in return.

Room Tip: Suites are really more like home.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bob k
TPS_Managment_Team, Guest Relations Manager at TownePlace Suites Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Bob k, I cant tell you how rewarding it is to hear your words of kindness. We are happy to serve you and your family and look forward to your future stays. We exhaust all effort in treating our guests as family. Thank you again for your amazing review!

Reviewed 21 June 2014

We, a couple with a toddler, were there for 4 nights. We were totally satisfied with the entire experience. Housekeeping not only changed our towels and replaced soap and shampoo daily, but also stopped by each afternoon to see if we needed anything else. The front desk personnel were courteous, although one young man on the night shift pretended to know where a restaurant was without really knowing. (He told me it was 5-7 minutes away when it was actually across the street.) Breakfasts were good, the fitness room adequate, and the pool small but comfortable and clean.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Mcclough, We are extremely glad to hear how our housekeeping team was able to take such good care of you during your stay! They work so hard and it really means a lot when it is noticed. I have shared your comments with my team and they are so grateful. I do apologize for the mix up in directions however. We learn more and more about the wonders of Wilmington each day so we can be as informative as possible. Cant wait to see you again in the future so we can show more of the sites!

Reviewed 17 June 2014

My family and I stayed here for a beach trip. It was an okay distance from Wrightsville Beach and a little bit closer to Downtown Wilmington. The room was a nice size for the four of us and nicely furnished/decorated. The room/beds and bathroom were very clean and it was really nice having the little kitchen area with a refrigerator. The front desk staff were friendly and the decor of the lobby was cute/trendy. I appreciated the free breakfast but did not love it. The coffee and muffins were pretty tasty but that was all I really enjoyed. The only reason why I would not stay here again is because of the distance...other than that I thought it was a nice hotel.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Jamie H, We are so glad to hear you enjoyed the Towneplace Suites for your stay in Wilmington. Our central location makes its convenient to see all parts of the Wilmington area. We are less than 5 miles from downtown, 4 miles from Wrightsville beach, and 1 mile from the UNCW campus. This allows us to accommodate all guests for all different types of travel. Hopefully our service will keep you coming back to see us on your next trip! Thank you so much for your kind words!

Reviewed 16 June 2014

I have been staying here for over 6 weeks due to my job assignment, and I tried to give the hotel housekeeping department more than enough chances to fix the problem. However, sadly, I have to conclude, the housekeeping is nonexistent here. I fully understand their policy for a long stay guest: they will do "deep cleaning" only once a week, but they also state that they will do any cleaning service upon request. I only requested to have the small bathroom floor and kitchen floor to be swept everyday so that I won't have to see my hair on the floor. I have black hair, and I don't want to see them on the floor. I have requested this verbally, in written note, talked with the head of Housekeeping dept 3 times, everyone at the front desk over a month. I even asked them to give me a set of broom and a dust pan so that I won't have to even bother them and clean the floor on my own, but they didn't, telling me," Oh, we will clean it for you, son't worry!" Of course, I could have bought a set on my own, but why should I? It is hard enough to live in a small hotel room for this long, away from home. However, they kept failing, and final blow was they didn't even come to clean my room yesterday even after 4pm. Sadly, their excuse was,"We were busy today." I ended up talking with the head of the hotel, Greg, and he completely admitted that they failed to do the basic service. I am a Marriott Member, and tried to like this hotel, but this place is not kept clean based on my 6 week observation. Most of you, the short term travelers, may not notice this because you will be in and out very quickly. The place is in a good location, close to Writesville Beach, other shopping area, close to UNCW, and if you don't care about cleanliness that much, go ahead, stay here. But, I do not recommend this place for a long term stay, if you want to have a clean room. Sorry, but I tried and I am tired of my voice not heard. This hotel sure is very poorly managed. To be fair, after a talk with me, Gred, the general manager, told me that he will have daily inspection by him or the 2nd buy from the top. At least he is trying to rectify the problem. I will see how it will go this time.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank MasakofromLA

Mrs. Masako, I wanted to first let you know how great it was to have you at the Towneplace Suites. I know both the GM and myself worked with you frequently while you were with us to resolve any issues. We take each and every review, positive and negative as an opportunity to grow and improve. It always will be our goal to serve our guests above reproach. Thank you very much for expressing your concerns and we were pleased to hear that ultimately we were able to provide you with a great experience overall during your time with us.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

My son and I were in town for his UNCW freshman orientation. The hotel is both close to the university and close to the beach. I had previously stayed at a nearby property for about the same cost that was scary and wasn't sure what I would get this time around.
I was just more that pleasantly surprised, I was blown away by this hotel. It was well-maintained, clean and had wonderful amenities. Every time I saw anyone who worked there, they were friendly and asked about my stay and if I was happy. The room was a very good size for a short stay and even for a longer stay. There was a great deal of closet/storage stage and a nicely appointed kitchen area. The beds were comfy. The breakfast was delicious and even my picky teenager found something to eat there.
I will be back quite a bit over the next few years and am looking forward to staying at TownePlace Suites.

1  Thank Maggielil
TPS_Managment_Team, Guest Relations Manager at TownePlace Suites Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Maggielil, We are happy to hear you enjoyed yourself during your stay. We are always excited when we exceed the expectations of our guests. If your son decides to attend UNCW we should get to serve you many more times in the future being as we are less than a mile from campus. Thank you so much for your kind words and will see you soon!