“My favorite sushi bar!” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Bento Box sushi
Ranked #75 of 666 Restaurants in Wilmington
Price range: US$3 - US$17
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Description: The menu offers food from Japan, Thailand, Vietnam, China, and Korea. The focal point of The Bento Box is the sushi bar where guests can interact with the Sushi Chefs to create a unique dining experience or you may enjoy the private dining room for an intimate small group, the outdoor patio with its zen rock garden and water fountains or the sake lounge. The Bento Box sources as much organic and sustainably grown product as possible. Whether it's salmon from Scotland, hamachi from Kyushu Japan, or free range chicken, organic vegetables, and natural pork from North Carolina, we continuously seek out the best products to serve our guests.
Wilmington, North Carolina, Usa
“My favorite sushi bar!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

I've tried every place in town and Bento Box is by far my favorite, it's my go-to for a million reasons. The fish is SO fresh and everything is reasonably priced. The atmosphere is great for everything from date night to dinner with the girls. Don't waste your time trying the other places in town, this is it!

• Visited February 2014
3 Thank Brooke L

Ashburn, Virginia
“Sleek Sushi & Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

Bustling crowd, modern space, interesting menu...We tried several different maki rolls, starters, a pu pu platter, and more, all of which were prepared fresh and delicious. Service was friendly, competent, and lightning-fast. High marks for this popular spot!

3 Thank BJoelG
Palm Springs, California
“The Best!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

This is the best sushi I have ever had. I have been eating here for over 3 years and I have never been disappointed. The fish is the freshest and best quality I have tasted. I have been to the most expensive in NY, LA, and FL and nothing compares. The prepared dishes are incredible as well.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank bys3990
Jamestown
“Best Sushi In Wilmington Area”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

The Bento Box Sushi has to be the best we've had during several trips to the Wilmington, NC area. Very fresh and presentation is wonderful. You can tell they prepare each dish with great pride and they truly care about your entire experience. Service is somewhat mixed depending on your server. Great place to relax and enjoy fresh sushi after a day on the beach. Atmosphere is relaxed and seems semi casual. Sushi rolls are pricey but you get what you pay for with sushi. Bento Sushi quality is worth the price. It's real authentic quality food.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Robert C
Greensboro, North Carolina
“Very Good Food; Poor Service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

My husband and I just moved to Wilmington and live close to this restaurant, so we have been meaning to visit for a long time. For the last two weeks, we have been on a "cleansing diet," where fish is the only protein that we can eat, so we thought there would be no better time to try Bento Box! And let me just say that although the food was tasty and we will definitely give them another try for that reason alone, I sure hope we get another wait person next time. Our waitress (Angelle - Jenna) left a lot to be desired. She was fine when she first greeted us at the table, but as we had never been there before so had to ask questions to get answers regarding the menu, etc. she became obviously frustrated. First faux pas!!! You NEVER want to give your customer any indication that you are too busy or too good for questions about the menu! And the things we were asking weren't stupid! Next, I ordered the VEGETABLE fried rice for both my husband and I to share, and she brought out PORK fried rice instead! Because I KNEW I had ordered the vegetable fried rice (wouldn't have ordered the pork because we couldn't eat meat and specifically went to Bento Box FOR THIS REASON) you can imagine our surprise when we kept biting into something that had the texture of meat! The rice comes out in such a way that it is hard to even see the pork, and I just assumed it was the veggie fried rice because the pork was cut into small squares and sort of grayish-brown, giving it the appearance it might either be tofu or the shitake mushrooms, and even though tofu was not in the list of ingredients. When the waitress came to the table and I nicely asked what this (I pointed to it) was, saying it sure tasted like meat, she said it was the pork fried rice like I ordered. I told her I did not order the pork fried rice, and in fact didn't even know it was on the menu, and that I ordered the vegetable fried rice, because AS WE TOLD HER LONG BEFORE WE EVER ORDERED, "WE ARE NOT EATING ANY MEAT BUT FISH!" But what happened next was the biggest faux pas... As nice as I was when I told her that we had ordered the vegetable fried rice, she did not offer to take the incorrect meal (and HER error) off our tab! So after finishing a plate (very very small amount when split between two people) of pork fried rice, and having to order another plate with the veggies in it, we were stuck having to pay for TWO fried rices! Yes, we ate the first one...but SO WHAT! I mean, we were hungry and were sharing it and it was a small serving and we thought we were eating the correct meal!!! It matters not that we ended up eating the wrong rice anyway (course by the time we really knew that there was indeed meat in it, we had already almost finished it); what matters is how this girl chose to handle her mistake. And she was not about to entertain the idea "the customer gets the benefit of the doubt, and comes first." You know, "the customer is your bread and butter" type of thing? From then on out, she was aloof and indifferent when I asked for things or needed things, and it was just not a great evening. We ended up tipping her about 13%, which was 13% too much, given she didn't give us good service in so many ways. All in all, the food was good and we will try again, but I hope the manager sees this review, and takes care of problems like this so that no one else gets a server who is not happy to answer questions and who also does not know better than to make a customer pay for the server's mistake. Menu items that are brought to any table that the customer says they did not order should be removed from their check, plain and simple. It should just not be questioned...eaten, half-eaten, or not. I have far too many friends that I will or won't refer to restaurants I visit for any server to handle this in any other way. And you can be sure that if she did this to us, she will do it to someone else. I was in food service management for many years and a few of the basic rules are a smile, an engaging "let me do anything I can to help" attitude, speed, and skill on getting an order right and not forgetting requests. This server needs some extra training or to find another job, pronto. But note to the management: we will try your establishment again, and bring lots of paying customers with us later if situations like this matter to you and are resolved, because your food is good, and your business shouldn't suffer due to poor service and flippant wait staff!

• Visited November 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank jpm312
sosume2, Owner at The Bento Box sushi, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
I am very sorry to hear about your experience I was working Saturday but this matter was not brought to my attention. If it had been I would have corrected the problem immediately.
Please my apologies. I would invite you to try the restaurant again on me please.
if you decide you would like to do that please make a reservation asking for the manager so she can make sure you dine with us at a time when I am working.
Chef Lee Grossman