“Great museum”

Cape Fear Museum
Ranked #12 of 115 things to do in Wilmington
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Exploring the history, science and cultures of the Lower Cape Fear region. Founded in 1898. Closed Mondays September - May.
Useful Information: Stairs / lift, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Baby buggy parking, Activities for young children, Activities for older children
Reviewed 16 July 2014

After reading the reviews we decided to take a break from the beach and head to the museum! The kids (ages 16,8) really enjoyed the big chalk boards and they played school for a half hour while my husband and I read about the history of Wilmington.. The kids also loved the old juke box! We spent about 2 hours there and we were very impressed!

1  Thank wadi2u

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Learned a lot about the Cape Fear area and history. Didn't have time to see it all, will go back. The building was quite cold (too much air conditioning) for the two females in our group, so take a sweater. My favorite exhibit was a plexiglass container with pine tar in it. You could move a rod up and down to feel the consistency of the stuff, and smell it. The exhibit explained how it was extracted from the trees, and how many uses it had. Gave me a whole new appreciation of what life on a sailing ship might have been like, with smelly pine tar coating all the ropes and deck.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

As a visiting "Northerner" (as I am referred to here) it was very interesting to walk back in time and read about the history of the Wilmington area. There is a lot for people of all ages, yet I was disappointed by the ecology and space exhibits as they were definitely more child-oriented (I am also a biologist, so when I was told there was an exhibit about the ecology of the area I was very interested, only to discover it was geared towards children). Even with this, it is still a great museum that I would recommend to others.

1  Thank Lanes1997
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

A very eclectic mix of stuff. Some to keep anyone from 3-300 interested. Would definitely go back. Very very informative.

1  Thank Nolan S
Reviewed 5 July 2014

This museum is jam packed with very informative and neat stuff for all ages to look at and enjoy! We learned a lot and this is a great family place to spend an afternoon at.

1  Thank ken and cindy p