The Carolinian Inn
US$93
SleepInn
US$144
US$140
Hampton Inn Wilmington Medical Park(Wilmington)(Great Value!)
US$144
US$140
Hampton.com
Staybridge Suites Wilmington East(Wilmington)(Great Value!)
US$126
US$122
TownePlace Suites Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach(Wilmington)(Great Value!)
US$106
Holiday Inn Wilmington(Wilmington)(Great Value!)
US$123
US$112
US$150
US$146
US$106
Suburban Extended Stay of Wilmington(Wilmington)(Great Value!)
US$78
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 19 August 2013

The Carolinian Inn was shown in my guide book as a “Best Western Motel” however, they had lost that accolade recently and little wonder. The room we were allocated was dirty, damp and smelled disgusting. It was also very dark and dingy. The curtains were hanging from the rails, the tiles were hanging from the ceiling and the wallpaper was hanging off the wall in sheets. The furniture had mould growing on it. The Wi-Fi was not working and neither was the ice machine. There was also mould growing on the shower curtains. There were holes in the bed sheets and there were stains on them too. The pillows had dribble marks on them. A large insect walked across the desk whilst my wife was using the room telephone to phone home.
My wife and I are from the UK and we have travelled in the USA extensively and on many, many occasions, but this hotel has to be the filthiest and most disgusting place we have ever had the misfortune to stop in. When we asked to see the manager the next morning, we were told by the foreign desk clerk in very bad and broken English that he was not available but would be tomorrow……..
Avoid this place like the plague at what ever price you are offered. Do not book into this hotel as it is disgusting and filthy. The Federal Health Inspector needs to pay it a visit.
The moral of this tale is “ALWAYS CHECK THE ROOM BEFORE YOU PAY FOR IT”. It is a mistake I will never make again……

Room Tip: They do not have any good rooms. From what we saw of the place it was filthy, and disgustingly dirty. Go anywhere else but DO NOT STOP HERE........
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Jenxjenx
Reviewed 18 July 2013

I visited the Carolinian Inn for a business trip. Stayed in room 163 for 2 nights. King Non-smoking. Very large room with VERY large closet. It was too dark. One entire wall was exposed brick, another wall was taken up by the wooden closet with 2 sections of wooden louvered doors. The lighting was very dim. (40 watt bulbs) The restroom was clean, but dark, also. I could not see well enough to put on my make-up in the room or bathroom. I used my rear view mirror in my car. The bed was nice an big and comfy. I liked it. Sheets were clean and odor free. Had an old window unit air conditioner, but it worked well.
The pool was nice, but it had bugs in it.
The parking was a bit strange in front. I seemed as though there were 2 entrances and they met in the middle of a u shaped drive. If you met a car, one of you had to back up or park until the other got by.
The staff was friendly enough, but all the people I saw were somewhat elderly men that worked there. Nothing wrong with elderly people working there, but I would have thought there would be someone there for maintenance and housekeeping that were a little younger and more able to move around. I never saw anyone else but the gentlemen at the front desk.
I never did get the internet to work, even after I complained. When I first got into the room and was going to call the front desk, my phone would not work. The front desk guy came to check it and the electrical cord and cord to hook in the phone jack were both missing. Weird.
It seemed to need a little updating, but I guess you get what you pay for, so I can't complain about $50 a night.

Room Tip: If you don't mind a dark room, Room 163 was very quiet and the bed was nice.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank DeeJacobs
Reviewed 17 July 2013

Where do I even begin on this one? I guess from the beginning...

Cons:
-Walked into a TERRIBLE smell... tried to air it out, but every time we came back into the room, the smell was back
-Bathroom sink was leaking (pipe underneath)
-Shower head is SO low, I had to squat to even wash my hair
-Flimsy, thin, dirty walls; there were literally staples, yes STAPLES, holding the walls shut and all the electrical outlets were so unsturdy in those paper thin walls
-Cigarette burn holes in our non-smoking room sheets
-Rough and stained towels and washcloths
-The entire front of the air conditioner fell off
-Key cards stopped working several times and when we went to get them reset each time, they had no idea why they kept failing
-No iron in the room. When my husband asked, the guy said that the iron (yes, the solitary one iron for the whole place) was out somewhere and told my husband to ask house keeping. We asked the ladies when the came by our room and they told us to ask up front. We did again, and the guy made my husband go to two different rooms asking for the one iron
-Breakfast was stale Little Debbies snack cakes, browning bananas, and "tangy" milk from a dispenser

Pros:
-Air conditioner worked
-Alright pool (but at night the roaches come out)
-Close to restaurants
-Front desk guy did fix the sink

Next time, I will definitely pay for a quality hotel and pass on this trashy place.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Paula W
Reviewed 10 July 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights during the Body building Competition in Wilmington, NC. This was the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. There were roaches in the rooms, and I even found a baby roach in my bed!! The complimentary breakfast was stale and did not look appetizing. The only plus to this hotel was the Balconys that you could sit on at night, BUT they were not cleaned and had spiders and pine needles all over the balcony. I asked the manager to have housekeeping sweep off my balcony and they told me that housekeeping was already done for the day and OFFERED ME A BROOM TO DO IT MYSELF! This was a $89.99 a night hotel! TERRIBLE TERRIBLE CUSOMTER SERVICE AND UP KEEP!! Everything was outdated and dingy.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank lovevegas88
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Older motel with some charm. Our room had a window corner that overlooked a small pool (9ft deep!) framed by two beautiful Live Oaks. The room was a bit stuffy with that old motel smell but it cleared up when we turned the AC up. Saturday night in the summer wasn't as lively as I'd feared. The motel is pretty convenient to bicycle routes and its a snap to get to Empie park and on to Starbucks and Whole Foods, Indepenedence Mall (if that's your scene) and the Post Office. Also, quick access to the battleship area and 421, 140. The motel also has an apartment with full kitchen, you have to ask.

Room Tip: Three wifi signals but mine kept dropping in rm 114.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family