“Oh the Smell” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #43 of 45 Hotels in Wilmington
Garner, North Carolina
“Oh the Smell”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

The mildew smell does take you back when you open the door. Fortunately for us it was winter so there weren't any bugs in the room. As for the décor the TV was a tube TV. I think that pretty much says it all. I will say I did get a story I will tell for years. The Ice machine was out so the front desk guy gave me a Styrofoam bowl of frozen water. That made the fact that I still haven't gotten the mildew smell out of my CPAP machine yet almost worth it.

In general sleep in your car if you have but to DO NOT STAY HERE.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank parrib1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Old Saybrook, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013 via mobile

We had a nice room with king size bed in the back of the front building away from road , and was quite. Room was clean, everything worked except light by the mirror, we called the front office and they promptly replaced the light bulb , friendly staff, good location , will stay again.

• Stayed October 2013
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013 via mobile

Bugs on the beds and floors.no soap or telephones room smelled like gas and dirt.called supervisor (that barely spoke English) told him took pictures he said he don't believe in pictures just real!!!!told him to go inside the room himself before they shake the sheets off..he said no you come show me..wow really..

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank beentherednthat
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

We stayed two nights over Labor Day weekend 2013. The room itself was very clean. It was a bit outdated but, well worth the price. We booked through their direct website. We were to pay $128 (all inclusive with taxes), however, when we checked in we had to pay an additional $20+. Not too happy about that. The clerk told us that the "website was wrong". Our room was in the back, on the end, which was great. We had a window unit that took quite awhile to cool the room but, once it did it kept it that way. Also, when we first arrived, I found the bathroom window was open (no screen) and had allowed a few big bugs to get in. I wasn't thrilled about that but we killed them, shut the window and had no additional problems. The room has a refrigerator, which was great, but no microwave. The housekeeping lady came by pretty late our second day (after 3) and we had already came back from the beach so we didn't want to be bothered by her cleaning the room but she did give us some fresh towels and was very nice. Around 9pm on our last night, we went down a few door to the soda machine to grab some drinks. FYI, we tried different buttons and orange soda came out of all..lol When returning to the room, a 20 something year old asked if we wanted to buy some pot. We thanked him for the offer but said we weren't interested. He was friendly enough but not sure everyone would be ok with the offer.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Mary S
Tamworth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

The Carolinian Inn was shown in my guide book as a “Best Western Motel” however, they had lost that accolade recently and little wonder. The room we were allocated was dirty, damp and smelled disgusting. It was also very dark and dingy. The curtains were hanging from the rails, the tiles were hanging from the ceiling and the wallpaper was hanging off the wall in sheets. The furniture had mould growing on it. The Wi-Fi was not working and neither was the ice machine. There was also mould growing on the shower curtains. There were holes in the bed sheets and there were stains on them too. The pillows had dribble marks on them. A large insect walked across the desk whilst my wife was using the room telephone to phone home.
My wife and I are from the UK and we have travelled in the USA extensively and on many, many occasions, but this hotel has to be the filthiest and most disgusting place we have ever had the misfortune to stop in. When we asked to see the manager the next morning, we were told by the foreign desk clerk in very bad and broken English that he was not available but would be tomorrow……..
Avoid this place like the plague at what ever price you are offered. Do not book into this hotel as it is disgusting and filthy. The Federal Health Inspector needs to pay it a visit.
The moral of this tale is “ALWAYS CHECK THE ROOM BEFORE YOU PAY FOR IT”. It is a mistake I will never make again……

Room Tip: They do not have any good rooms. From what we saw of the place it was filthy, and disgustingly dirty...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Jenxjenx
ROCKWELL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2013

I visited the Carolinian Inn for a business trip. Stayed in room 163 for 2 nights. King Non-smoking. Very large room with VERY large closet. It was too dark. One entire wall was exposed brick, another wall was taken up by the wooden closet with 2 sections of wooden louvered doors. The lighting was very dim. (40 watt bulbs) The restroom was clean, but dark, also. I could not see well enough to put on my make-up in the room or bathroom. I used my rear view mirror in my car. The bed was nice an big and comfy. I liked it. Sheets were clean and odor free. Had an old window unit air conditioner, but it worked well.
The pool was nice, but it had bugs in it.
The parking was a bit strange in front. I seemed as though there were 2 entrances and they met in the middle of a u shaped drive. If you met a car, one of you had to back up or park until the other got by.
The staff was friendly enough, but all the people I saw were somewhat elderly men that worked there. Nothing wrong with elderly people working there, but I would have thought there would be someone there for maintenance and housekeeping that were a little younger and more able to move around. I never saw anyone else but the gentlemen at the front desk.
I never did get the internet to work, even after I complained. When I first got into the room and was going to call the front desk, my phone would not work. The front desk guy came to check it and the electrical cord and cord to hook in the phone jack were both missing. Weird.
It seemed to need a little updating, but I guess you get what you pay for, so I can't complain about $50 a night.

Room Tip: If you don't mind a dark room, Room 163 was very quiet and the bed was nice.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank DeeJacobs
Durham, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2013

Where do I even begin on this one? I guess from the beginning...

Cons:
-Walked into a TERRIBLE smell... tried to air it out, but every time we came back into the room, the smell was back
-Bathroom sink was leaking (pipe underneath)
-Shower head is SO low, I had to squat to even wash my hair
-Flimsy, thin, dirty walls; there were literally staples, yes STAPLES, holding the walls shut and all the electrical outlets were so unsturdy in those paper thin walls
-Cigarette burn holes in our non-smoking room sheets
-Rough and stained towels and washcloths
-The entire front of the air conditioner fell off
-Key cards stopped working several times and when we went to get them reset each time, they had no idea why they kept failing
-No iron in the room. When my husband asked, the guy said that the iron (yes, the solitary one iron for the whole place) was out somewhere and told my husband to ask house keeping. We asked the ladies when the came by our room and they told us to ask up front. We did again, and the guy made my husband go to two different rooms asking for the one iron
-Breakfast was stale Little Debbies snack cakes, browning bananas, and "tangy" milk from a dispenser

Pros:
-Air conditioner worked
-Alright pool (but at night the roaches come out)
-Close to restaurants
-Front desk guy did fix the sink

Next time, I will definitely pay for a quality hotel and pass on this trashy place.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Paula W