“Azalea Room, best room in the house!”

and 1 more site!
C.W. Worth House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 17 Wilmington B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Wolcott, CT
“Azalea Room, best room in the house!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

We found our room to be the best part of our stay at CW Worth House; it was certainly the most spectacular we'd ever stayed in (and we looove our B&B's!). There was no one at the front desk when we arrived - on time - so we stood around for a bit with our bags; eventually one of us rang the doorbell and Margi and Doug came out. Upon checking in, we received a surprise 10% military discount which was awesome (and not mentioned on their site).

We received a kind of rushed tour and no mention of a wine hour (which there was, as we saw later)... However, in their defense, another couple we were travelling with had shown up before us & received a tour, so maybe they entrusted them to show us around?

Lots of around-the-clock refreshments (think packaged crackers, chips, etc) and a mini fridge stocked with sodas and bottled water in each hallway, pretty much within reaching distance from any room, which we were happy to see! As many B&B'ers may know, nothing is weirder than sneaking downstairs to the community fridge at 1am in your pajamas only to be greeted by the innkeeper, up late to do some cleaning or early breakfast preparation...

Now for the room- we absolutely fell in love with the Azalea room. It is in a turret adjacent to a corner of the house, so the main room is outlined by rounded walls/windows.. enough to make any lady feel like a princess in a castle! The bathroom and sitting room (more like a sun room - such big windows and gorgeous view!) were located in the "corner" of the house. The Azalea can be visualized from the outside of the house; it is on the second floor, all the way to the right (you can see the square sitting room off of the turret).

The bathroom was small but clean - loved the clawfoot tub. 1 bar of face soap was provided and I think that was it.. but in the shower there was a child's rubber ducky/bubble bath in the shower caddy (not romantic!) and a few random, miscellaneous store-bought travel-sized bottles of shampoo. I think the innkeepers should seriously consider investing in either a multi-use/refillable bottle of all-natural or luxury soap (eco-friendly and economic) or even just travel-sized luxury soap.

A note about many other rooms - slanted ceilings abound in this house, so be warned! The description of the Garden Room even suggests you consider another choice if you are over 6 feet tall - our friend have stayed in this room and the bathroom is shaped like a long hallway, but with extremely slanted ceilings the whole length of it - a little claustrophobic if you ask me! We also peeked into the Turret Room - a cramped, round room painted kind of gaudily with clouds... 3 out of 4 people in our group agreed this room was a little creepy.

As we were perusing the house, killing time before dinner, we were amazed by the unique display of antique cameras. It was at this time that we saw the wine on the table (only white was offered this evening). Margi asked where we were headed for dinner and when we told her, she replied with "oh." Taking this as a bad sign, I asked if it was a good place and she said "Oh yeah, I just had lunch there the other day, it's a great place." Maybe it's just me being spoiled by previous innkeepers, but a major selling point for me is not only the charm and big breakfasts found at B&Bs, but the innkeepers' insider knowledge of the local gems and surrounding areas. (I've been to places that not only ask where you're planning to go for dinner, not only recommend a restaurant but also make the reservation for you so you can relax! Now that's personalized service..)

Upon return to the B&B around 1-2am Margi was standing at the front desk - a nice touch that she stays up til all the guests are safely back (if that's what she was doing), but I felt a little weird like we were coming in "past curfew." I don't know, maybe I was just drunk and guilty.

Breakfast the next morning was just OK. They do not offer soymilk with coffee (it's 2013! Come on!) and the egg souffle was clearly store-bought but good. When I asked if she had made the sweet potato patty, she said it was store bought..which I guess was a good thing for her because it was like a disk of mashed sweet potato with an almost impenetrable crust. The innkeepers were not really present during breakfast, and the conversation was mostly run by an older veteran B&B/Wilmington couple (who would've made awesome innkeepers if you ask me).

My husband was also walking around outside, checking out the property and caught sight of a book through a window, entitled "Buying Customers." I'm positive every good B&B/hotel/inn/motel owner has one of these, but don't keep it where the people you are "buying" can see it! This left a little bit of a bad taste in my mouth, naturally.

All in all, we probably wouldn't stay here again unless we caught wind that the innkeepers stepped up their game. But I'll be dreaming of that Azalea room for years to come!

Room Tip: Azalea!!!! Beware of Garden Room (very sloped ceilings) and Turret (creepy creepy).
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank danielle786

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Davidson, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2013

The C.W. Wentworth Inn and Bed and Breakfast is our new favorite home-away-from-home! It is a beautifully appointed inn in the heart of Wilmington's historic district. We are not particularly fond of too many accessories and the perfect balance has been reached at the Wentworth. Every time we had a need for something it was conveniently available....even a rubber ducky in the shower...hee hee! Inn keepers Margi and Doug are perfectly suited to this calling...friendly, accommodating and generous...plus, they are factastic chefs! Can't wait to return!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Delafield, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2013

Our stay at the C. W. Worth House was only our second visit to a B & B. We were greeted warmly by hosts Margi and Doug and immediately offered an upgraded room. We stayed in the rose room, which was very spacious and elegant. The wicker sunroom attached to the bedroom offered a great sitting area to relax after a long drive. The bathroom was very well appointed and I really appreciated the magnifying mirror. Many upscale hotels do not offer so many amenities. Coffee and tea service, a beverage station and ice were just outside our door and a tv lounge was available on the next floor. Margi acquainted us with the town and local events and provided recommendations for dinner from her stack of local menus. Breakfast was delicious and we were invited to use the kitchen to prepare our lunch for the road as well as repack our cooler. We will definitely plan to stop here again next season.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cindy L
Fredericksburg, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2013

My husband and I stayed at the C.W. Worth House on the 'spur of the moment' in February. We were surprised it was on such a busy road, but...when we entered the home it was lovely. Nice and roomy with lots of places to hang out if you just wanted to relax. Margi was there to greet us and went out of her way (since our arrival time was not definite) to keep in touch with us until we arrived. We were thrilled that she allowed us to choose our room after our arrival. I can't remember the name of the room but it had a little sunroom porch w/a table that was super nice to sit at when we were both using our computers. There were no needs that were not met by Margi and their wonderful home. Since my husband was going to tour the battleship and I was going to shop, she provided me w/places that I should not miss. One was the candle shop there and it was the highlight of my shopping experience there in Wilmington. The man who owns the shop was there and took a lot of time telling me about the candles, the history of the shop...etc. Really enjoyed my time there.
Breakfast was at a set time the next morning and that was fine with us. We were not in a hurry. Although Margi did a perfect job of serving and the other guests were lovely, the breakfast itself was not memorable. From reading the other reviews, I wished I'd been there for the Banana Upside Down Pancake....yum!
All in all, a wonderful stop. And oh no...I almost forgot...don't forget to purchase one of their mugs!!!...they're just great!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ruth J
Wilmington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2013

We were in awe of the gorgeous property called the C.W. Worth House. The rooms and beds are extremely comfortable, warm and inviting. The owners, Margi and Doug Erickson, are the hosts with the most! Their incredible breakfasts, especially, the Banana, upside down pancake, was a delicious treat. I'm told they only make that when they have a full house, which I'm sure is quite often. They are in walking distance to all downtown attractions and restaurants. You will not be disappointed with your stay at the Worth House!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Noni B
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2012

This was our first trip to the Wilmington area and we originally planned to stay at The Clarendon Inn which was rated number one at the time by tripadvisor. When we called for reservations the owner said they were closing and recommended for us to stay at the C.W. Worth House Bed and Breakfast. We sure are glad we did!

It's a beautiful old victorian home located a few short blocks from the start of the river walk area in a section of lovely old southern homes. We loved walking around the area and viewing the architecture. It was Riverfest Weekend and all sorts of events were going on.

We had wine every night on the back porch and enjoyed talking with the other guests. The food at breakfast was delicious and the fresh brewed coffee started early for insomniacs like me. We stayed in the Louisiana Suite which was very large by B & B standards. The bed was comfortable and every amenity was provided for in the bathroom. The wonderful innkeepers Margie and Doug are warm, charming, attentive and informative. The house is immaculate. It's a great place to stay in Wilmington, NC.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank TCMBO
Chesapeake, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2012

My 2 adult daughters and I stayed at C.W. Worth House Bed and Breakfast and had a wonderful time. It was the first bed and breakfast stay for my daughters and they left saying that they would stay at bed and breakfast establishments again! Margi Erickson, the innkeeper made us feel right at home. The Louisana room was beautiful, spacious and so very comfortable. Each morning's breakfast was delicious and served on china in a grand dining room. After breatkfast Margi shared with all of the guest the current events going on in the Wilmington area. One of our days we went to the beach and Margi had beach chairs she allowed us to take. Truly our trip was wonderful and staying at the Worth House Bed and Breakfast was a big reason why we had a great girls weekend. You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: The Louisana Room has a king size bed and a sleeper sofa that can be pulled out to provide additiona...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family