“Nice Hotel”

Ranked #18 of 44 Hotels in Wilmington
Charlotte
“Nice Hotel”
Reviewed 25 May 2011

This was a beautiful hotel right on the river. Great location to walk to histroric area. The historic area offered wonderful shops, dozens or restaurants and bars and carriage tours 2 blocks away. We were only there for 1 night but the night was quite nice and romantic. We will go back.

The hotel was nice and comfortable. The first room they gave us was next to the elevator and very small. I asked for another room and they accomodated with no problem. The second room was spacious and nice. Parking did cost extra and you'd think they tell you that when reserving but they did not.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MaryWM
WilmingtonHiltonGirl, Director of Sales at Hilton Wilmington Riverside, responded to this review, 12 June 2011
Thank you for your review and great comments. Our view and location are our two of our best kept secrets and our guests enjoy them tremendously.

I apologize you were not informed about the parking fee. It is something that agents are required to mention and it is reiterated on the confirmation. If you were not made aware, i appreciate it you bringing it to our attention.

Thank you again for your business and feedback. We look forward to your return soon!
Enjoy your summer!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 11 May 2011

We were originally booked at a sister property but due to a reservation mixup (NO fault of the hotel) there was nothing available there. The Hilton staff, namely Anna, the night manager, was so gracious to us and basically came up with a room when there was none...AT MIDNIGHT. We were offered and shown a room another guest had declined due to an odor (??) but we found the room perfectly acceptable, especially since we'd have been sleeping in Hugh Macrae Park without it. I was extremely surprised to find that downtown Wilmington hotels are consistently fully booked, so I recommend BOOK EARLY!!

The room itself provided two very comfortable beds, free internet, and ample space. The bathroom was good sized, but we found it odd that the whole hotel featured Asian inspired decor with satin nickle and dark walnut finishes but this room had an ornate gold mirror in it. Just an odd choice, and certainly nothing to cause us any discomfort!

Breakfast was a buffet and very good...I got my SOUTHERN GRITS!!! There was plenty of choice but I was hoping for a little more on the pastry selection. The omlets were done well, albeit a little on the slow side. Available til 11 am was nice too, because since we didn't get settled in til after 1am we weren't going to make a 10am cutoff for breakfast common in many hotel restaurants.

If you are looking for a downtown hotel, this one's terrific, walking distance to many restaurants and all the activity by the river as well as the shopping at the Cotton Exchange. It's easy to get around Wilmington if you remember Market Street (east-west) and 3rd Street (north-south) and the Hilton is a couple of blocks north and a couple of blocks west of that intersection.

We ended up extending our stay here an extra night and I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Book as early as possible!
  • Stayed May 2011
What a great review! Thank you. We appreciate your honestly and comments. When the team does a good job and make a great stay for our guests, we truly appreciate your writing about it.

We hope to see you again soon so you can enjoy wonderful downtown and more GRITS!

Have a great summer!
North Carolina
Reviewed 10 May 2011

Typical Downtown Hilton but was amazed to have free wireless that just connected, no annoying login or sign on process. Room was pleasant but on the small side. Rooms with two beds were doubles. What ever happended to the the two queen beds in a room. Nice location on the riverwalk. Walking distance to a lot of great restaurants. When we checked in they had given us a city view room, went back down and requested a change to riverview. Front desk was courteous and prompt in the handling the change. Paying $9 a day to park was a bit ridiculous.

Room Tip: Ask for riverview when you check in.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
Thank you for your recent stay and your honest comments.

Like many hotels in a downtown area, we do have to charge for parking. Since you can go nowhere downtown without paying for parking, we need to protect the spaces we do have for our guests. We do try to offset this charge with things like complimentary internet, complimentary business center and fitness center.

We are glad you enjoyed the location and view. Along with our staff we are very proud of both!

We hope to see you again soon for a visit! Thank you again, enjoy your summer!
North Carolina
Reviewed 10 May 2011

I know everyone comes bacck from a hotel stay with some pros and cons, that are are from their own perspective and from their own expectations. However, I would guess that there are some bare minimum requirements some would agree upon.

The first being, that if you stay in a 1 Bedroom Executive Suite w/ Parlor at a rate over $240 per night, you would expect that the interior door between the king bedroom and the living area would be a door that could open and close no matter which room you are in. I was apalled to find that when inside the bedroom, if I shut the door for privacy (we had our teens on the other side and they slep on the sleeper sofa) I could not open the door from the bedroom! There was no way to do it. Nothing was broken - there just was no handle or knob that could be turned to open the door! I had to go out the exteior door to the hotel floor hallway to get back into room's main entrance into the living area and if I didn't have my key, then I was out of luck! What an absolute engineering nightmare and tragic oversight. We have taken pictures of this and plan on writing to the hotel and submitting photos and request that they make that change for future guests.

Secondly, I have never in my life, (even in staying at a Days Inn or Best Western, or anywhere for that matter) been in room, with the tv on w/ the 4 of us in there and chatting and could still HEAR the people next door - talking. They were not yelling, they were talking. Unbelievably paper thin walls. At 7 am I could hear them TALKING and it woke us all up. The same went for being in the bedroom and hearing EVERYONE in the hallway. There was no insulation in the walls whatsoever.

I am one to over look a lot of things ... I didn't call the front desk because the light was out in the lighted-magnifying mirror in the bathroom ... I didn't call the front desk to complain about anything. (However, we did inquire as to why the advertised WIRELESS internet was not working -- and the resopnse was, "well you can always plug it in." Hmmmm. Not the same thing - but OK - we'll just roll with it. Not worth getting into a huff over.

However, given those paper towel thin walls -- a security guard came up to our room and POUNDED on the door at 11:30 pm on a Saturday night with a written warning and threat of eviction, because someone complained they could hear us in our room. I was absolutely mortified!!! In any other hotel, a phone call would have been made FIRST, as a courtesy request. It was unbelievable!! Naturally we were scared to death to utter another WORD the rest of the evening.

You won't find any "How Was Your Stay" comment cards in the room and you certainly won't hear that routine question from the front desk staff when you check out. I find that highly unusual.

If you are getting this type of suite w/ the separate living area, you may want to decide where you want the phone to be ... there is only 1. It would have been nice if it had at least been in the bedroom, seeing that is where most adults stay if they are traveling w/ children/family. (or if you got locked into your bedroom, at least you could call the front desk!) Any other hotel I've ever been at w/ 2 rooms - always had 2 phones. Little things like that are so easy to fix ...

Positive comments: The location of the hotel was superb. Within walking distance to everything and even an adorable Farmer's Market was there on Saturday morning. When I requested extra towels the first night, they came quickly. When we requested extra blanket for the sofa, it came quickly as well. No problems there.

It is my opinion, however, the hotel is very overpriced. My purpose in writing this is for other travels to just be aware that if your expectations were similar to mine (a door that actually has the ability to open and walls that are not made out of paper towel and a hotel protocol that does not includ a brute/rude threatening tone towards guests for talking seeminly a little too loud) you will be disappointed in this establishment.

Separately, I will be contacting the hotel directly and/or whatever management company is over them to express my disappointment and concerns and make some suggestions for improvement.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank readysetarch
Thank you for your recent stay and your feedback. If I am not mistaken, I believe our Executive Offices have communicated with you through your Hilton Response form. However I did want to take a minute to acknowledge your response. We always appreciate honest input to help make us better!

Thank you again and enjoy your summer!
USA
Reviewed 23 April 2011

What can I say? I didn't have high expectations, so it was fine. Its location is the perk. Staff is pretty inattentive, but friendly. Anything that lacks in capacity makes up in personality. The riverwalk is really cute without feeling like a tourist trap. I could see going there again and staying at the Hilton.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
WilmingtonHiltonGirl, Director of Sales at Hilton Wilmington Riverside, responded to this review, 12 May 2011
Thank you for your recent stay. We appreciate all your comments.

Obviously, we want every guest to have a fantastic memorable stay and our staff are a large part of that experience. Your review is a reminder that we need to always be attentive so thank you for that!

Thank you again and we look forward to your return!
Williamsburg, Virginia
Reviewed 21 April 2011

This hotel was in a great location with many restaurants within walking distance. The Wilmington/Cape Fear River boardwalk begins at the hotel and offers fantastic views.
The hotel itself was a little dated but clean and the staff was very good. In the lobby is a small Starbucks coffee kiosk and there is a full service restaurant in the lower lobby.
I thought that the AAA rate was a little on the pricey side as was the self parking at $9 per night. Since the Hilton is the only game in town for downtown Wilmington they can get the price I suppose.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Greensboro, NC
Reviewed 3 April 2011

This hotel is badly in need of updating. The elevators, door locks, air conditioning and internet work some of the time. The wall paper is peeling. The rooms are well insulated from each other, but not from the noise in the hall. You can easily hear anyone walking by. The staff is excellent. The food is mediocre and expensive. The location is great. The rooms are not worth the money. Except for the staff this is comparable to an old Holiday Inn.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CRTGreensboro_NC
WilmingtonHiltonGirl, Director of Sales at Hilton Wilmington Riverside, responded to this review, 6 May 2011
Thank you for your recent stay and all of your feedback. As a hotel we continuously strive to improve our facility both from a physical and service standpoint. We appreciate your positive comments on the staff as well as your honestly on the room & food.

We try to fix peeling wallpaper, scraped paint etc. when we see it. If it is missed we appreciate our guests bringing it to our attention.

We hope you will visit us again soon. It is always our goal to make a great impression on all of our visitors! We would like to do this for you the next time you are in town. Thank you again.