“Great location, Comfortable room”

Hilton Wilmington Riverside
Ranked #18 of 44 Hotels in Wilmington
jtgonzo
“Great location, Comfortable room”
Reviewed 23 December 2013 via mobile

I'm surprised by all of the poor reviews here. My wife and I just stayed for one night on a spur-of-the-moment getaway, and we found the staff to be efficient and extremely helpful and friendly, the room comfortable, and the location ideal. We paid $132 for a room with a beautiful view overlooking the river, and you are just steps from the Riverwalk and a block from the attractive downtown with plenty of good places to explore and eat.

The room itself was on the small side, but it was in good shape, the bed was very comfortable, and the view was wonderful. I could nitpick about a couple of things: It took several minutes to get really hot water flowing in the shower, and they charge $9 for self parking in what on our visit was an almost empty and large parking lot.

But overall it's a comfortable hotel, a great location, and it seems to me reasonably priced compared to similar hotels in similar cities. I'll stay again.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jtgonzo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed 22 December 2013

As a diamond Hilton Honors member I see the inside of quite a few Hiltons.

The room was OK, bed was too soft and the bathroom was "dated". But, that's all personal preference. The issue I had was peeling/bubbling paint in the bathroom.

On the plus side, the staff was BRILLIANT and extremely helpful which made the stay worth the money as I've paid more for Hampton Inns in the past.

The hotel is full service with a "Starbucks" in the hotel lobby and a Ruth's Chris also on site.

Room Tip: Riverside is overlooking the USS Wilmington and a great sunset view.
Atlanta
Reviewed 18 December 2013

This hotel is extremely old and outdated. Somehow it is a "Hilton", but it is one of the bad ones.

The whole place is outdated and due for a makeover. None of this would have bothered me if it was a $89 per night hotel (which this should be based on the quality), but at the rate we paid it was EXTREMELY overpriced.

This place should either be updated or removed from the Hilton system.

Anyone should check out some of the cheaper options in the town if you are staying, you are paying for the Hilton in name only - not actually receiving any of the quality you would expect.

FYI - if you are thinking of booking here due to the "pool", don't. It is right next to the parking lot and has zero ambiance.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
WilmingtonHiltonGM, General Manager at Hilton Wilmington Riverside, responded to this review, 28 August 2015
Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We are very sorry you were unhappy with our guestrooms. We appreciate your feedback, and will keep your comments in mind while we work to improve our guest experience. We hope you’ll stay with us again soon and tell us what you think about our improvements.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 18 December 2013

So, a LOT of the reviews here are bad, which made me a little concerned about my stay here, but the truth is that the hotel is totally acceptable. Is it the nicest, fanciest hotel ever? No. But it's completely serviceable, safe and comfortable. I will note that housekeeping neglected to remove a used washcloth from my room, which I found when I opened the shower curtain, and that at least twice, my room smelled VERY POWERFULLY of cigarette smoke. When I called the front desk to complain....I realized the phone didn't work. At all. Period. And when I went downstairs to tell the front desk, I had to suggest solutions when the person at the desk was like, "....that is really too bad?" They DID fix it, but I had to figure out how. If I come back to Wilmington, I think I will try another hotel in town, but if this is your best option for any number of reasons: don't worry. It's going to be totally fine. They have a Starbucks!

Reviewed 18 December 2013

The Hilton Riverside is a wonderful place to stay due to its location on the scenic Cape Fear River and easy walking distance to the convention center and shops and dining in downtown historic Wilmington.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 12 December 2013

The hotel was nice although a bit dated from what I expect of Hilton. Self parking was a little difficult to figure out. Wish I had time to check out more of the waterfront but we did walk to a nearby restaurant which allowed us to see some of the waterfront shops.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed 9 December 2013

While they did not do anything special to mark our wedding night, it was still very pleasant stay. The view was a little odd since we were riverfront but also overlooked the valet parking lot. The staff was friendly and accommodating to such a large group too. We had 11 rooms occupied and they were very happy to take us to wherever we needed and wanted to go using the hotel van. Very friendly staff.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple