“Last minute Labor Day getaway”

Hilton Wilmington Riverside
Ranked #19 of 45 Hotels in Wilmington
Reviewed 2 September 2014

I visited the Wilmington area over the long Labor Day weekend and selected the Hilton Riverside for its location and ranking from past guests. I searched online as I approached downtown Wilmington and quickly secured a room using Kayak.com. Being a busy traveling holiday, I wasn't sure what to expect, but had researched enough to know that I could find a room in the city. Rooms were available and rates average considering the holiday weekend was coming to an end. Upon checking in, I asked if there were any available river view rooms. You got to ask, right? Even though I purposely booked the cheapest king bed they had available. I was told they were booked, but still pleasantly surprised when I arrived to my room(502) which turned out to be a corner room facing the city, but had a side window with an unobstructed southern view of the Cape Fear River. The rooms are on the smaller side I felt, but well furnished and clean. The bathrooms were reasonably sized, plenty of towlels, and great water pressure. In room amenities: a coffee maker, LG flat screen TV, some premium cable channels e.g. HBO and a docking station if you have an iphone 4 or older, but no refrigerator.

Overall, I found this to be a very pleasant stay; staff was friendly and eager to please. I decided to extend my visit and they worked with me on pricing, even offering the AAA rate so that I didn't have to rebook online for the same room. The lobby beverage center served Starbucks Coffee along with pastries and you can even order a mixed drink. Hotel location is perfect and I would certainly stay here again and recommend to others.

Other highlights of the Hilton Riverside.....it's also home to a Ruth's Chris Steak House. There also appeared to be another dining option in-house with themed dinner nights. Room service is available. Wifi was free and user friendly and there was also a business center. The pool looked inviting and certainly kept a small crowd throughout the day. You can't beat the views poolside, i.e the Cape Fear and the USS North Carolina as the back drop. Parking options are valet, paid parking on the property or paid street side parking. Daily rates for on property parking ran $9.00 per day.

Room Tip: Even numbered rooms have city views and odd numbers have river views. Vending machine and ice are j...
  • Stayed: September 2014, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Hilton Wilmington Riverside

Reviewed 2 September 2014

My experience at The Hilton Wilmington Riverside was a very positive experience. They provided transportation from and to the airport. The Hotel Staff was courteous and very helpful. The Rooms were neat and clean upon arrival and kept that way during my stay.

Room Tip: The View of the river and the USS North Carolina on the west side is awesome.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 September 2014

This Hilton has a great conference center, our group has met here several times in the past few years. The hotel is located in the historic district and there are plenty of shops and restaurants with in walking distance. One draw back is the is a parking fee for on site parking per night. Right across the river is the USS North Carolina which is worth a visit. Get a room with a river view.

Room Tip: A room with a river view.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 September 2014

This hotel has a great riverside location in Wilmington and it is very convenient to the historic district. However, we did not get maid service our first day, there were not enough parking spaces to self park (even though we were paying for the privilege), and there were errors in our bill when we checked out (to the staff's credit they adjusted it out).

Not a bad hotel, it just fell short of my expectations at this price point.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 August 2014

The Hilton Riverside is a great place to stay when visiting Wilmington NC.. I want to say how wonderful their lunch buffet was! Even though we came one minute before the closed they treated us like they had all the time in the world..Everyone was a big help with the two little ones we had with us, this was above and beyond what the had to do.. The food was fantastic, the staff was excellent and the atmosphere inviting.. we will be back! Check the lunch menu as it changes daily..We went on a Wednesday, I am sure the other days are good as well...

Room Tip: Enjoy the beautiful water views!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
WilmingtonHiltonGM, General Manager at Hilton Wilmington Riverside, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2014

Thank you for reviewing your dining experience with us! We have a different themed lunch buffet every Monday thru Friday from 11-2! Perhaps you may have heard, but our hotel and Chef's team just won Wilmington's Copper Kettle Award at the Epicurean Evening for Best in Show and Best Appetizer. We hope you'll come back to taste another award winning lunch!

Reviewed 30 August 2014

My husband and I stay in this hotel any time when we are in Wilmington (read every year). Location is great and it is just 15-20 min from the Wrightsville beach. Also, the hotel is just a few minutes from the restaurants and bars. The rooms have incredible river view and very comfortable for two. Highly recommend for business and vacation.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
WilmingtonHiltonGM, General Manager at Hilton Wilmington Riverside, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2014

Thank you for the great review! We're proud to be your choice hotel for visiting Wilmington! We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 27 August 2014

My family stayed at this hotel as a midpoint between two vacation stops. I expected a Hilton to be pretty nice, especially as this one is riverside in Wilmington. But, I was shocked at the outdated property that was badly in need of upgrades and repair. Additionally, it did not meet my expectations for cleanliness. The river view and walking path did not disappoint, but there are several other choices of places to stay, very close by (a block or two away), and I would have been much happier with one of them. Carpets were dirty, fixtures were seriously outdated. Lampshade in our room was askew and dirty, bathroom had mildew on ceiling and a nonworking fan.

Room Tip: I have no recommendations. I only saw the one we were in, and based on that, I would not stay here.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
WilmingtonHiltonGM, General Manager at Hilton Wilmington Riverside, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2014

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us; we're very sorry to hear you were unhappy with our hotel. We had a full renovation in 2007, with many additional projects since then (replacing the common area carpets, refinishing the pool deck, refinishing the exterior of the hotel, building an event deck to extend to the Riverwalk, updating our light fixtures, etc.). Despite our improvements, we're deeply sorry to hear you felt your room had a cleanliness issue, and will discuss your comments with our Executive Team and work to correct the issues you experienced. We want all of our guests to feel welcome, clean, safe and happy. Thank you again for the review.