“Beware of cat hair”
Review of Front Street Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wilmington
Front Street Inn
Ranked #9 of 18 Wilmington B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 June 2013

After reading other reviews and seeing how the owner attacks guest who give poor reviews with personal information about their stay I am little hesitant to write this review, but here goes. As we were signing in we noticed a cat laying on a table in the breakfast area. When the owner noticed our concern he quickly assured us the table covers were changed before breakfast. We had a busy weekend and thought nothing else of it until the breakfast on our last morning and as I finished my food I noticed cat hair on my plate. When I complained the owner became very defensive. Overall was average, room was adequate, clean, breakfast was continental, no formal afternoon or morning gathering to meet other guest as at other bbs we have stayed, similar to chain hotels with free breakfast for $90.00 a night. Also there was something called a vapor bar across the street that gave us concern as we walked in one night after dark.

Room Tip: Choose another bed and breakfast in Wilmington
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Htrc
Richard S, Owner at Front Street Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2013

Savvy travelers that research their travel plans online deserve to know that the reviews they're reading HONESTLY reflect the reviewer's experience. They also know that there are two sides to ever story (and, from the feedback I've received, they enjoy hearing both sides).

That said, this review has nothing to do with our rescued cat or its fur (the title is offensive). For the record, our resident cat is a stray we found, very near death, one day while walking at Greenfield Lake. She is very clean, and very friendly. She has NEVER been in a guest room, and is kept in our personal space every evening from 9PM until after breakfast. The rest of the day, she spends sleeping outside the main Inn on the sun porch. She is by far an asset to the Inn and most people love her, or at least, are indifferent to her.

The REAL ISSUE, as I see it, had to do with some beer and wine charges the guest had accrued over the course of his stay. Some background...upon check-in, guests are given a short tour of the Inn (where breakfast is served, places to lounge around with visitors, etc) before being shown to their rooms. During the tour, the guest is also shown our "honor bar," a no-host bar with a large selection of beer, fine wine, and non-alcoholic beverages available to the guests 24-hours a day. The guest is shown the menu and price list which is prominently displayed on the bar next to a notebook where the guest can write down anything they have over the course of their stay...beverage purchases are itemized on their bill at check-out. We could easily do what many other places do and offer one or two varieties of very inexpensive wine--free of charge--at a one or two-hour afternoon reception. Long ago, we decided to offer, and our guests overwhelmingly approve, a large variety beer and fine wine at reasonable prices (beer is $3 and wine is $6) available 24 hours per day. We also have no restrictions on guests bringing their own beverages (including red wine) to have with them in their rooms!

Upon check-out, the guest said "wow, so I guess you really do charge for beer and wine." I was, frankly taken aback a bit, though I simply told the guest he was clearly told about the charges at check-in (something he clearly understood based on his comment...and based on the fact that he wrote down his several beers and wine). He then said...AND I KID YOU NOT!..."so, I guess I also have to pay for the cat hair on my wife's plate at breakfast." This was the FIRST time we heard anything about any cat hair! If there was indeed cat hair on the guest's breakfast plate, we apologize sincerely, but we would have loved to have known at the time...not sarcastically and not two hours later at check-out when you're questioning charges you incurred.

We are not a traditional B&B, but more like a boutique Inn...for instance we don't all eat together at an assigned time (breakfast, despite the reviewer's characterization, is a FULL breakfast buffet served in a casual and relaxed atmosphere from 8AM to 10AM each morning which you can read more about on our website or on numerous other reviews on this site!). We strive to make every guest's stay safe, comfortable, and relaxing. And, based on our hundreds of return guests, and the vast majority of reviews on this site, I think we're doing a great job (though this is planet Earth, and occasionally there are problems...we try to acknowledge them and rectify them as quickly as possible)! If the review believes he can find accommodations (with breakfast) of our quality, comfort, and location (in addition to FREE OFF-STREET parking, and FREE wifi/DSL--two things not common in downtown Wilmington) for $90, he would b

Reviewed 28 May 2013

Located in the heart of historic Wilmington and just a block from the active Cape Fear River waterfront, the Front Street Inn is a favorite spot for a getaway to a very enjoyable small city. The rooms are really nicely appointed and comfortable, the breakfast varied and good, and the staff is friendly and accommodating. One oddity that didn't bother us since we were there for a brief stay: in the suite we had, there's a kitchenette with stove and frig and sink, but no microwave and no dishes or pots except for a few glasses.

Overall, A+ and will return whenever we can.

Room Tip: We prefer the second floor rooms, which have access to a deck or balcony, for the view.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Have stayed at the Inn several times over the years and it is a lovely experience every time. Their updated website really shows the rooms better and each room has a fun theme. My personal favorites are the Pearl Buck (inside hallway) and the Cabana Suite (upstairs). Polly and Richard, the owners, introduce themselves to you and make you feel very welcome. The last time I was there I arrived very late so they left a key out for me with directions to my room. Breakfast is fresh and homemade every morning. Polly makes a wonderful quiche! And having access to a help yourself bar is nice in the evenings. If you pick one of the upstairs rooms there is an outside upstairs porch you can enjoy on a warm evening! Beds are comfy, bathrooms are in the suites and they provide many amenities.

The Inn is walking distance from most anything you want, including dining on the water. They do not allow young children to stay there so keep that in mind. Off street parking is a plus and they have wifi in all the rooms. Highly recommend this for a nice break from chain hotels!

Room Tip: Check their website to see a picture of each room before booking. Or take a chance. I haven't ha...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 March 2013 via mobile

My husband suprised me by booking the Georgia okeeffe room for a weekend in Wilmington. The room was very nice and loved the big bed and the tub that was in the room!!! The room also has a kitchen and living area with a nice outaide deck. It was pretty expensive but Other than that I have no complaints. They did give us a discount for being military. I wish we could have stayed longer but I enjoyed my time at the front st inn.

• Stayed: March 2013
Richard S, Owner at Front Street Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2013

We thank our guests for their honest review of the Inn and appreciate that they had "no complaints." Regarding the "value," however, which was reviewed extremely low: the guests stayed in our largest suite, the O'Keeffe, which has a king bed, spa tub, and separate bathroom, living room, and sitting area. They stayed with us for one night (which is almost impossible to find) on a weekend in downtown Wilmington--their room rate was $219. Our rates are very competitive, if not lower, than comparable inns and bed & breakfasts in the area. We're also closer to the heart of downtown than all of our true comps. And, we offer a full buffet breakfast and complementary off-street parking on the premises (a rarity in downtown).

Reviewed 14 March 2013

Since my dog was with me, we stayed in the one room in the inn that allows dogs. It has a gorgeous roaring gas fireplace and high ceiling. We were so happy there! Breakfast was nice too. Quiche each morning. The inn is within a short walk to downtown Wilmington and the waterfront. Love!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank sarahdippity
Reviewed 10 February 2013

We went to celebrate my husbands birthday. Our room (the Hemingway) was terrific. The owners were absolutely wonderful and we took advantage of the massage service they offer. The breakfast was the best ever at a B&B and the dining area is special.

Room Tip: Website was helpful to make room selection.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 January 2013

My wife and I recently visited Wilmington with some friends. We were looking for a historic bed and breakfast close to the river. The location of the inn is perfect. It's at enough away from Market St to be quiet, but easily within walking distance to all you could want to experience along the waterfront. The Salinettis were very friendly and were always asking how they could help us in any way. Overall, a great trip. I would highly recommend the Front Street Inn.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends