“Not Your Typical B&B”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Front Street Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wilmington
Front Street Inn
Ranked #8 of 17 Wilmington B&B and Inns
New York City
“Not Your Typical B&B”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2006

My wife & I are lucky enough to travel fairly often, sometimes for pleasure and sometimes for work. My company is thinking about relocating to the Wilmington NC area so I had the opportunity to visit with my wife for a week. We found the Front Street Inn online through the Wilmington Insider website. The pictures and descriptions made it sound pretty unique. We were pretty excited about staying there but we never expected it to be as nice as it was. Our suite, The Hemingway, was amazing. It was very roomy and had plenty of light...just as advertised. The spa tub was relaxing and the mosquito netting on the bed was a nice touch. Although we didn't need to use the wood fireplace, it looked great. We lead a pretty active/healthy lifestyle and thought the breakfast--after 45 minutes on the treadmill in the workout area--was perfect! They had a selection of FRESH cut fruit, homemade granola, and yogurt (since i was on "vacation" I also had a homemade muffin to my wife's chagrin)...my wife also enjoyed the quiche. The Innkeepers (they took over about 8 months ago), were delightful and made us feel right at home. We'll most certainly be back and we've already told everyone we know what a great place Wilmington and The Front Street Inn are...two thumbs way up!

• Stayed September 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank pharmexec

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
silicon valley, california
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2006

Our first trip to the East coast (from California) was a great experience. Wilmington NC is a gem and so is the Front Street Inn! We spent 4 days taking in the sights around Wilmington (I recommend going to Fort Fisher) before heading to Hilton Head (pleasant but overrated). The Front Street Inn was impeccably kept...we stayed in the Cabana Suite...and our hosts Richard & Polly really made us feel like royalty. We're already planning to go back for another stay when we visit our daughter at UNC Chapel Hill next Spring.

• Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank ramseysdad
San Jaun Bautista
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2006

My wife and I were visiting our son in Greensboro, N.C. We explained to our daughter-in-law that we would like to go someplace nice with them for the weekend. She kept this a secret until we arrived at one of the best B&B's that we have ever stayed at. THE FRONT STREET INN in Wilmington N.C.
From the moment we arrived we knew that we were in a special place. It was beautiful. The room was stunning and the service was beyond 5 star. Our host Polly and Richard made us not only feel special but part of the family. The daily breakfast was just what you would expect from such a great B&B. The area around the FRONT STREET INN was full of wonderful restaurants. We were introduced to TAPAS eating. OUTSTANDING.

All and all I would HIGHLY recommend this B&B and area to visit.

Visit the website at [--------------].

5 Thank vat
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2006

I agree totally with the previous review. I just recently visited the Front St Inn this past weekend. My husband and I had stayed here several times in the past and it was really nice and enjoyable. Unfortunatley, the Inn was sold to new owners in Jan 06. The new owners are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo rude. First, they can't keep straight 12 rooms and who is in each one. We had a confirmation number and were called the day before we were to go and were told that they had overbooked and we could stay there.

After telling them we were very dissappointed they somehow "found a smaller room" for us. However it wasn't going to accomodate the three people we had. The room we were supposed to be in was a suite and had sleeping for four. We asked if they could do anything for the inconvenice and they said they could maybe knock $20 off the room. They also said we could only stay one of the two night because they were booked for Saturday. Thebooked us reservations at another inn or so we thought. When we checked with the other inn they had no record of reservations for the next night.

After telling the Front ST in that we were really dissappointed in ALL the mess ups...they said obviously you won't be happy here so get out!!! " You have 30 minutes to get out" and he stick his finger in my face!!! THIS PLACE IS AWFUL NOW THAT THE NEW OWNERS HAVETAKEN OVER...DON'T STAY HERE !!! THE PREVIOUS OWNERS WERE SO MUCH FRIENDLIER AND REALLY WANTED YOU THERE...NOT THIS GUY!!!

• Stayed June 2006
12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2006

Judging by the other reviews here, some guests are treated differently from others. We found the inn people cold and unfriendly, sometimes sarcastic, and rarely helpful. They also complained every time they had to get up from their desk and do something for a guest.

They also couldn't seem to unify on which of their guests was staying in which room and at what price. (Why was my friend quoted one rate, and me another on a different phone call for the same room? Why aren't prices posted on their website, in chart form, according to room and date and date of effectiveness, including rate changes?; Why don't guests receive an invoice immediately after booking and prior to arrival, like other area inns do? )

Sure, the rooms are "decorated", but that's the definition of an inn these days. And I wouldn't expect to be price-gouged for it, like we were here. They brag about their breakfasts, but it's just a bunch of sweetrolls and coffee. Way too much sugar. Where's the protein? Especially for those outrageous prices.

Their mini-toiletries are "for sale" at the front desk, in case you didn't get your room re-supplied one or more days.

I'll never stay here again; these owners are too greedy. I'll stay at the other inns there which are much friendlier, nicer, and more honest. And most of them do serve a real breakfast.

Stayed February 2006
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2006

This was our (my wife and myself) first experience with a "Bed and Breakfast". We really don't have anything to compare it to, but in our opinion, we didn't feel that it was worth the money that was paid. It is a very comfortable, friendly, unique place to stay, we believe it comes up short on value. Keep in mind our earlier statement about this being our first time at a "Bed and Breakfast". Our package cost &228.00, so maybe we were expecting too much. When we are used to staying at a motel for $60-$70 a night with a continental breakfast our expectations may have been too high. The ambiance was great, but not worth the difference.

• Stayed March 2006
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Richmond
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2006

I recently spent a long weekend at the Front Street Inn and the worst part about it was leaving! I stayed in the Pearl S. Buck suite which was very clean and stylishly decorated (not in the antique-y way most Bed and Breakfasts are). The breakfast that they serve is delicious and was re-stocked frequently by the extremely friendly staff. I actually got one of their spa packages and had a bottle of champagne chilling on ice when I arrived, along with hand-dipped chocolate covered strawberries, a goodie basket, and an in-house massage. I can't wait for my next stay in this lovely hidden treasure. If you get the chance, stay in this inn!

• Stayed March 2006