“Relatively Okay Place, Seeing it's the ONLY Weekly Place Nearby”

WoodSpring Suites Wilmington
Ranked #35 of 44 Hotels in Wilmington
Phoenix, Arizona
“Relatively Okay Place, Seeing it's the ONLY Weekly Place Nearby”
Reviewed 7 September 2011

I'd categorize this as what I like to call a "clean dump" of a motel. Roll-down steel cover for the lobby, which closes like a prison guard's station promptly at night. Unless you're a deadbeat, you'll find that the staff there are really decent people and will treat you with respect and be helpful like they were with me.

Overall, the place was okay, considering there was no other options in that side of Wilmington - the next closest place that looked decent was about 400% more, with no weekly rates. This is how the Value Place does their business - it's filled mostly with either tradesmen, or even migrant workers AND their families.

I felt fairly safe there, as there was really nothing to worry about. It just gave me the creeps like it would anyone who's not coming directly from a campsite or trailer park... BUT, the doors are solid, they keycards work great, all in all I'd have to say this is a pretty safe place. I was there for two weeks, including the July 4th weekend. A lot of the guests were there for beach activities at nearby Carolina Beach where I'd just sold my home at, was waiting for settlement and to clear out of the ILM area for good. Everyone seemed friendly and very well behaved, even the folks who had their little tailgate get-togethers in the parking lot at the end of the day. Very well lit parking areas at night too.

An important note: I was first pretty amazed at the soundproofing there, but that proved to only be true for the adjacent walls. There was some sort of real odd individual above me, who was obviously walking barefoot (I wouldn't recommend walking barefoot in ANY hotel unless it was a 5-star Hilton), and happened to only walk on his heels, day in, day out, and all hours of the night... from experience in my own tiny room it was maybe 2 paces to the foot of the bed, 4 to the kitchenette or door to the hallway. This guy stomped, non-damned-stop, like he was on meth, too much coffee, or both. It was no different than having 2 thumps followed by 4, constantly, like a damned SUBWOOFER. If you like that, then that's your kind of place! BTW, there was some idiot somewhere in the 4 floors that did have a subwoofer; he/she used it for a couple hours in the evening, which was somewhat tolerable. The top two floors are smoking rooms only, IF you could handle the room I'd highly recommend you staying on the top floor where no one's above you. The idiot/meth-head-type above me, was like Chinese water torture... he was there for 10 days I knew of, but thankfully it was my time to finally leave the wonderful Value Place. Thump thump THUMP THUMP THUMP... for $200-bucks a week, I know from experience, that's hard to beat. It's pretty sick out there on the road, where there are other 'clean dumps' that've seen far better days, and the proprietors have the sheer gall to charge well over $100-bucks PER NIGHT, for a similar lackluster room. Sad, especially with the economic times we're in.

GO EAT AT SHREINERS DINER A MILE WEST ON THE LEFT - I'VE EATEN THERE A HUNDRED TIMES IF ONCE, AND NEVER EVER HAD ANYTHING BUT A GREAT MEAL, WHILE BEING TREATED WONDERFULLY BY THE ENTIRE STAFF.

IF YOU HAPPEN TO BE IN THE ILM AREA DURING OFF SEASON, I'D HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU GOING TO EITHER CAROLINA OR KURE BEACH ON PLEASURE ISLAND, 8 MILES SOUTH. (I LIVED THERE FOR A DECADE, SO I KNOW) YOU'LL PAY THE SAME OR LESS, HAVE PLENTY OF CHOICES OF WHERE TO STAY, IF YOU'RE THERE FROM SAY, OCTOBER THROUGH MAY. :-)

Room Tip: Best Bang for the Buck, unless you're in the area from Oct - May... (read review)
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
7 Thank Inspector-Cluseau

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed 10 June 2011

It's clean the staff are very helpful. I enjoyed my stay here.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank terrybettinson61
Heather L, Manager at WoodSpring Suites Wilmington, responded to this review, 24 July 2012
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay at Value Place! We try very hard to make every guest's stay as comfortable and pleasant as possible. We wish you the best in your future travels and hope that you will chose Value Place again if you are ever in need of a place to stay.
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed 14 April 2011

When i had gotten the the hotel it was very nice and the guy at the front desk was nice also. when i go to my room it was very clean and nice looking . keep up the good work

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank jbaracco
We appreciate you lodging with us! At Value Place, you can expect courteous treatment from professionals who are committed to maintaining guest privacy and peace of mind. Thank you for the compliments! We wish you nothing but the best in your future travels and hope that you will visit us again soon!
Nebo, North Carolina
Reviewed 12 December 2010

We made reservation 2 weeks prior to our hooney moon , yet when we went to check in , not only did they not have the rom we requested. it was $200.00 higher than the websites price. I would advise anyone using this company to print a copy of the web site agreement and to call ahead before driving a 600 mile round trip the way we did. A plus was the employee who handled our problem was very nice and sympathetic.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple