“Front desk staff was awfully rude to be working customer service”

Best Western Plus Coastline Inn
Ranked #7 of 45 Hotels in Wilmington
Reviewed 18 June 2012

I was down on June 9, 2012 for my wedding weekend in Wilmington, NC. We booked the honeymoon suit for the night after our reception at the best western, what they call their tower room. It was a great room with awesome views of Wilmington. After the reception we strolled into the room happy to finally have some alone and married time. Lets just say the night of was not the horror story of this place. When I woke up the next morning, I noticed that the room was really kind of bare. No bottled water, snacks, or anything really to make you feel like you are in a nice room. Its their tower room, I figured that would be a great boost for having people stay in it. Well after looking around I realized the "complimentary" toothpaste was not in the room either. My wife called down to ask, the lady at the front desk said, we keep down here. She then asked, would you guys mind bringing it up to the tower room for us. I mean most hotels really wouldn't make you ask that, especially when you are paying for the most expensive room. Not this one, the girl at the front desk says, you can come down to the 1st floor and get it from me. Dumbfounded at this lack of service and accommodations, my wife hung up the phone. I was pretty frustrated at the lack of service, however I went downstairs to get the toothpaste.

The night of the wedding, my parents dropped my car off at the hotel and left my car keys at the front desk. Well when I went to get the toothpaste the same girl that made me walk down to get the toothpaste was at the desk. I asked her if she had keys for me that my parents dropped off that night. She looked left and right, and said no. I then said, well I know my parents dropped them here last night because thats my car, she then said, "Well do you know who they gave them to?" I said "the person working the desk last night I assume". She said, "well who might that be?" I then said, "well seeing as we don't work here, I can't say I know the persons name, don't you have a schedule you can look them up on?" She did not like that comment and kinda dismissed me. So I called my mom to verify my keys were dropped off. Sure enough they were. So I stare behind the desk and right on top is an envelope with my name on it. I told the front desk lady, "mam, that envelope sitting out with my name on it is probably my keys". She shrugged me off and said oh, and handed them to me with no emotion. Wow, this is some of the worst customer service I have seen. I did not feel welcome at this hotel. I kind of felt as if my presence was a burden to them. Either way I shrugged it off and hiked back to my room. After being in the room for a while, I noticed the AC was not working as it was getting hotter in the room. Not wanting to deal with the front desk lady, I checked it out myself. Yes I know a bit about AC's because I work in property management at an apartment complex and we have 330 units similar to their system. It was frozen up. So what do you do when that happens. You turn the fan on to thaw it, and then check the pressure gages and possible add freon if needed. I waited till we checked out to mention this as I did not want to be a pain in the butt to the lady at the desk for a second time today. So when I did go down, I mentioned this to her. She told me, that I must have kept the AC on to hard and long and I did this to it. I told her, I actually never touched the thermostat, but was dumfounded why she was blaming a "paying customer" for the AC. I attempted to explain to her the cause and she dismissed my reasoning only to state that it was my fault. Your right, Im the customer and thats the way to run a hotel. Needless to say, we were going to do 2 nights here, but I was not going to let them have another penny out of my pocket for this customer service.

Warning to all, the hotel is nice, but the staff has no hospitality skills or manners, working the desk. So don't expect to be pampered what so ever staying here and you may feel right at home. Me on the other hand, Lets just hope this girl doesn't come to a interview in my office one day.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nate L
jackiehodge, General Manager at Best Western Plus Coastline Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2012

Per my previous response regarding the problems you had during your recent stay, I cannot apologize enough for the problems you incurred with the staff at the front desk. I have spoken with the staff member and the issue has been dealt with internally. Please know that this is in no way a normal occurrence and the staff at the front desk has always given exceptional customer service and continues to do so. Thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed 11 June 2012

I like this motel. Its small and has character. The staff is very helpful and friendly. The location is great; right on the river and steps to downtown shopping, restaurants and river walk. You can pay more and stay at the beach but its only a short ride to Wrightsville Beach. They are pet friendly and even offered my little friend a treat. Quiet and restful. Oh, and the convention center is next door.

That having been said. The carpets need to be replaced or at least a thorough steam cleaning. the bed was a little lumpy. Overall, a good stay and a real hot breakfast in the morning. i recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on an upper floor. The view of the river is better.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank CptLouisRenault
jackiehodge, General Manager at Best Western Plus Coastline Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2012

We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 21 May 2012

We went to visit our son for a four day get away. We were pleasantly surprised by our modern room, King size bed, and cleanliness of the room. The staff was very helpful and friendly, especially Josh who helped me with the computer. The complementary breakfast offered many choices and was very good. Each room has a great view of the Cape Fear River and the hotel is in an ideal location. Thanks to all staff who made our vacation memorable.Wallace11

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
jackiehodge, General Manager at Best Western Plus Coastline Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2012

We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are a hidden secret in the downtown area. Some locals do not even know where we are located. My staff is always eager to assist our guest and I am glad Josh was so accommodating to you. We look forward to your next stay!!!

Reviewed 19 May 2012

Beautiful view of the river when you wake up in the morning - peaceful, quiet. They also put on a nice free breakfast. Rooms are modern - not too spacious, but still very nice. We are planning on going back - great staff too.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms have great views.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bill A

We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us! The staff is always eager to accommodate our guest. We look forward to your next stay.

Reviewed 16 May 2012

My wife and I came in on Mothers Day, just for the night to celebrate our 27th anniversary. Our room was spotless, the bed was comfortable. I am sometimes one of those people where the "glass is half empty", but this was really one of the best stays we have ever had! We wish we could have stayed longer and next time we will. We had contact with 3 of the desk staff while there and they all were very pleasant. For breakfast, I had wanted to try the Dixie Grill down the street but opted to try the breakfast on the 3rd floor, we didn't get there until about 9 a.m. The breakfast room was clean and fully stocked. There was hot scrambled eggs and sausage, bread and bagels that you could toast, fresh fruit yogurt, plenty of dry cereal, you could even make yourself, a fresh waffle, and wash it all down with hot coffee, tea, milk or juice! That was really great! Thanks to all the staff for making our stay a memorable one!! Don C.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ncmanGarner
jackiehodge, General Manager at Best Western Plus Coastline Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2012

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay! And Happy Belated Anniversary. We have worked very hard to get the breakfast established as we use to deliver breakfast to the rooms in a basket, which the guest loved but with implementing the new breakfast we decided to redo the breakfast area. We look forward to seeing you again and be sure to tell your friends about your experience.

Reviewed 9 May 2012

The very friendly, nice people at the front desk gave us the best room,- on the corner, with windows looking up & down the river; if you book a suite you not only get a LR and BR, but views of the Cape Fear River as well as downtown; you also have a mw & frig in the room. Bathrooms are very modern, and the whole facility is very clean. Furniture is quite dated but you can pretend it's retro! B'fast is fine: scrambled eggs, sausages, toast, sweets, juices & coffee. (Really, who started this demand for b'fast? I'd rather have a less expensive hotel bill than b'fast!) TV in the b'fast room. Comfy beds! Easy walk right along the boardwalk into the historic downtown, can't beat the location. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: go for the suite, you'll be happy as it's a bit larger, and bright with windows.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BarbinAustin
jackiehodge, General Manager at Best Western Plus Coastline Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2012

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us! We really appreciate your nice comments and we look forward to your next stay.

Reviewed 4 May 2012

Great location right along the river each room has a great view. very quite and weel kept grounds with very friendly staff. I always return here when in the area and you are right acroos the river from the the Battleship North Carolina. Walking distance to many choices of restraunts, shopping and bars. Pet friendly!! wish they had a pool

Room Tip: everyroom is a dream
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Chris M
jackiehodge, General Manager at Best Western Plus Coastline Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2012

We are so glad that you continue to visit our hotel! It says alot when guest keep returning to our hotel and that we continue making each stay an enjoyable one. We look forward to your next stay and thank you for staying with us!