“Great River View”

Ranked #7 of 44 Hotels in Wilmington
Poole, Dorset
“Great River View”
Reviewed 2 July 2012

This hotel was a real surprise, with all rooms having a wonderful view over the water. The rooms are fairly basic, but clean and tidy with a comfy bed. Complimentary breakfast was also of good quality and plenty of choice. Thought the price of the hotel was a bit expensive for the quality but the waterfront location probably bumps it up.

The hotel is at the end of the main boardwalk so a quieter area and just a couple more minutes walk to the waterfront restaurants and shops, which was fine for us.

My husband and I really loved Wilmington and we were sad to only have one night/day there. Very relaxed atmosphere and lots going on.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hinesadapo
, General Manager at Best Western Plus Coastline Inn, responded to this review, 10 July 2012
We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and we are very happy that you enjoyed the riverview and the breakfast. We look forward to your next stay and have a great summer.

Jackie Hodge

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed 1 July 2012

My sister booked the Best Western Plus Coastline Inn for my bachelorette party this weekend. We loved everything about this place. There were nine girls, and we had rooms next to each other. The rooms were large, clean, and had amazing views of the Cape Fear River. The breakfast in the morning was complimentary and offered everything from eggs and sausage to cereal and waffles. The location was superb-within walking distance of all restaurants and night life downtown.
Best thing about the place, the staff. They were awesome! Couldn't have had a better weekend.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
, General Manager at Best Western Plus Coastline Inn, responded to this review, 5 July 2012
We are so glad that your sister chose our hotel over other properties in the area and we are even happier that you and your party enjoyed our hotel. The location of the hotel and being in the downtown is what brings most guest to our property but once they arrive, my staff makes each guest stay a memorable one. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding and we look forward to seeing you again.

Thanks,
GM
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 1 July 2012

Recently stayed at this hotel for work. Was very impressed from the minute we drove into this place. Great location and easy to walk to everything that Wilmington has to offer. The city itself has so much character and really is place you must visit. The staff at the hotel was exceptional and unfortunately we had to check out a day before we wanted to and they were very accommodating by giving us a full refund for the last night. I recommended this hotel to some other co-workers who will be traveling this month to the area. Thank you and hope to see you again....

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for the great comments and I am so glad you enjoyed your stay in Wilmington and with our hotel. My staff works very hard to accommodate all guest and to make them feel at home. I will be sure to share your great comments with the staff. We look forward to your next visit.

Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 18 June 2012

I was down on June 9, 2012 for my wedding weekend in Wilmington, NC. We booked the honeymoon suit for the night after our reception at the best western, what they call their tower room. It was a great room with awesome views of Wilmington. After the reception we strolled into the room happy to finally have some alone and married time. Lets just say the night of was not the horror story of this place. When I woke up the next morning, I noticed that the room was really kind of bare. No bottled water, snacks, or anything really to make you feel like you are in a nice room. Its their tower room, I figured that would be a great boost for having people stay in it. Well after looking around I realized the "complimentary" toothpaste was not in the room either. My wife called down to ask, the lady at the front desk said, we keep down here. She then asked, would you guys mind bringing it up to the tower room for us. I mean most hotels really wouldn't make you ask that, especially when you are paying for the most expensive room. Not this one, the girl at the front desk says, you can come down to the 1st floor and get it from me. Dumbfounded at this lack of service and accommodations, my wife hung up the phone. I was pretty frustrated at the lack of service, however I went downstairs to get the toothpaste.

The night of the wedding, my parents dropped my car off at the hotel and left my car keys at the front desk. Well when I went to get the toothpaste the same girl that made me walk down to get the toothpaste was at the desk. I asked her if she had keys for me that my parents dropped off that night. She looked left and right, and said no. I then said, well I know my parents dropped them here last night because thats my car, she then said, "Well do you know who they gave them to?" I said "the person working the desk last night I assume". She said, "well who might that be?" I then said, "well seeing as we don't work here, I can't say I know the persons name, don't you have a schedule you can look them up on?" She did not like that comment and kinda dismissed me. So I called my mom to verify my keys were dropped off. Sure enough they were. So I stare behind the desk and right on top is an envelope with my name on it. I told the front desk lady, "mam, that envelope sitting out with my name on it is probably my keys". She shrugged me off and said oh, and handed them to me with no emotion. Wow, this is some of the worst customer service I have seen. I did not feel welcome at this hotel. I kind of felt as if my presence was a burden to them. Either way I shrugged it off and hiked back to my room. After being in the room for a while, I noticed the AC was not working as it was getting hotter in the room. Not wanting to deal with the front desk lady, I checked it out myself. Yes I know a bit about AC's because I work in property management at an apartment complex and we have 330 units similar to their system. It was frozen up. So what do you do when that happens. You turn the fan on to thaw it, and then check the pressure gages and possible add freon if needed. I waited till we checked out to mention this as I did not want to be a pain in the butt to the lady at the desk for a second time today. So when I did go down, I mentioned this to her. She told me, that I must have kept the AC on to hard and long and I did this to it. I told her, I actually never touched the thermostat, but was dumfounded why she was blaming a "paying customer" for the AC. I attempted to explain to her the cause and she dismissed my reasoning only to state that it was my fault. Your right, Im the customer and thats the way to run a hotel. Needless to say, we were going to do 2 nights here, but I was not going to let them have another penny out of my pocket for this customer service.

Warning to all, the hotel is nice, but the staff has no hospitality skills or manners, working the desk. So don't expect to be pampered what so ever staying here and you may feel right at home. Me on the other hand, Lets just hope this girl doesn't come to a interview in my office one day.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nate L
jackiehodge, General Manager at Best Western Plus Coastline Inn, responded to this review, 20 June 2012
Per my previous response regarding the problems you had during your recent stay, I cannot apologize enough for the problems you incurred with the staff at the front desk. I have spoken with the staff member and the issue has been dealt with internally. Please know that this is in no way a normal occurrence and the staff at the front desk has always given exceptional customer service and continues to do so. Thank you for staying with us.

Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 11 June 2012

I like this motel. Its small and has character. The staff is very helpful and friendly. The location is great; right on the river and steps to downtown shopping, restaurants and river walk. You can pay more and stay at the beach but its only a short ride to Wrightsville Beach. They are pet friendly and even offered my little friend a treat. Quiet and restful. Oh, and the convention center is next door.

That having been said. The carpets need to be replaced or at least a thorough steam cleaning. the bed was a little lumpy. Overall, a good stay and a real hot breakfast in the morning. i recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on an upper floor. The view of the river is better.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank CptLouisRenault
jackiehodge, General Manager at Best Western Plus Coastline Inn, responded to this review, 13 June 2012
We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel. We look forward to your next visit.

Kewadin, Michigan
Reviewed 21 May 2012

We went to visit our son for a four day get away. We were pleasantly surprised by our modern room, King size bed, and cleanliness of the room. The staff was very helpful and friendly, especially Josh who helped me with the computer. The complementary breakfast offered many choices and was very good. Each room has a great view of the Cape Fear River and the hotel is in an ideal location. Thanks to all staff who made our vacation memorable.Wallace11

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
jackiehodge, General Manager at Best Western Plus Coastline Inn, responded to this review, 23 May 2012
We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are a hidden secret in the downtown area. Some locals do not even know where we are located. My staff is always eager to assist our guest and I am glad Josh was so accommodating to you. We look forward to your next stay!!!

Tampa
Reviewed 19 May 2012

Beautiful view of the river when you wake up in the morning - peaceful, quiet. They also put on a nice free breakfast. Rooms are modern - not too spacious, but still very nice. We are planning on going back - great staff too.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms have great views.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bill A
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us! The staff is always eager to accommodate our guest. We look forward to your next stay.