“A nice surprise!”

Best Western Plus Coastline Inn
Ranked #7 of 45 Hotels in Wilmington
Reviewed 26 February 2013

My husband and I came decided to go to Wilmington a few years ago for Valentines Day after hearing that it is a very, romantic and historical place, and lets not forger haunted, with a lot of things to do. We chose this hotel because it was reasonably priced and in a great location. It was a great surprise to see the outside of the building when we pulled up. It just had that historical feel to it. When we got inside we were pleasantly greeted by a great staff. They were very helpful with information about restaurants and area attractions as well as anything else we needed. They all were very friendly, making sure to speak every time they saw us. The hotel is in the midst of everything we wanted to do. We weren't able to do as much as we wanted because it was very icy and cold that year, but there are so many things in the area. Especially if you like history and ghosts. We do plan to go back again sometime soon, when it's a little warmer of course. I very highly recommend the BEST WESTERN PLUS Coastline Inn. It is an awesome hotel in a great location!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
jackiehodge, Manager at Best Western Plus Coastline Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2013

Thank you so much for the great comments. I am so glad that staff was able to help you with your visit as far as recommendations for dining and the current events. We are tucked back along the river and many people do not even realize we are here, even locals tell us all the time they never knew we were downtown. We look forward to seeing you again and we hope you will stay with us

Reviewed 9 January 2013

When I first pulled up and realized it had outdoor walkways, I was concerned. i am a single woman traveling and have long since given up the idea of staying in a hotel where there was access to my room from the outside - it's a security thing for me. However, upon entering the hotel, i realized that though the rooms were accessible from the outside hallways, they were well protected by iron fencing and beautifully surrounded by landscaping, making this a very pleasant place to stay. In addition, the front door having no window means that all rooms face the rear - and that is where the real surprise is - as they all face the beautiful river with docks and walkways. I did enjoy this hotel, the staff was friendly and helpful and it was a very pleasant experience.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
jackiehodge, General Manager at Best Western Plus Coastline Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2013

Thank you so much for the great comments. Its so hard to explain how the hotel is set-up when guest quesiton our exterior corridors. They normally expect access right out of their cars but when they get here they are always amazed at how the hotel is riverfront and protected. We sure look forward to seeing you again and thanks again for the great review

Reviewed 6 January 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here when visiting Wilmington for 1 night. All we wanted was a clean, well priced and central hotel and this is fit brief perfectly. The staff went above and beyond to help us. Very informative about local attractions as well as our next destination, Savannah. For those like us that spend more time out and about and are happy with a simple but spacious hotel (it's also on the river and river walk) this is for you. The value is basically unbeatable. I'm posting this from another best western, this time in Savannah and it'll be receiving the same review.

• Stayed: January 2013
jackiehodge, General Manager at Best Western Plus Coastline Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2013

Thank you so much for the nice comments about the staff and the hotel. We hope that you will recommend our hotel and that when in our area again you will stay with us.

Reviewed 31 December 2012

First of all, let me say this was my first time staying at a Best Western because i'm a little biased. I've always thought they were low rate and my views haven't improved much. Good-The place was clean and well maintained. Looks like it was recently renovated. Staff were friendly and extremely welcoming. Breakfast was a bit more than continental-there were sausage biscuits, and waffle maker. The staff was maintaining the area but not very friendly.
Bad-When we checked in, upon doing my usual clean room check, the sheets had stains that looked like blood on them. Immediately, I go back to change, and as I'm speaking to the front desk, a housekeeping person asks me what's the problem with a look of disbelief on her face when I explain the sheets were dirty. She goes on to explain that she just cleaned those rooms. After apologizing the front clerk puts in another room. When I go to this room, there are boots, bag and suitcase on the floor! They placed me in someone's room! For the 2nd time, I go to the front desk and get another room. This one was clean and empty.
I don't care for this "hotels" because they are still only upper graded motels to me. Security will always be an issue because the place is not secure. Suite doors open to the outside and although there is a central area, there isn't a security gate. Overall, once I got into the final room, it was clean and upgraded. The food was mediocre. Some staff were friendly, but not very professional. The place is in a prime location with awesome views of the riverfront. I would not stay by myself because of lack of security.

Room Tip: Check room first to make sure no one is in it. Get a room on higher level for added security.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business

I am so sorry that you had such a difficult time upon checking into the hotel. I was here during the day and I surely do not recall the incident while I was on site. I can assure you that my housekeeping staff works very hard and takes additional time when cleaning rooms. As for being put in an occupied room, I again apologize for that. The front desk staff that I have are seasoned desk clerks and I'm sorry that their oversight caused an inconvenience for you. NYE was a very busy day but that is no excuse. I appreciate your comments and I will be talking with the staff regarding this incident.
I hope you will stay with us again.

Reviewed 17 December 2012

Stayed here this weekend when attending a function downtown. Never knew this place was so nice! We live locally but will come again when downtown for the weekend. Beautifully re-done, quaint and a great location! Will definitely come again!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
jackiehodge, General Manager at Best Western Plus Coastline Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2012

Thank you so much for the nice comments. We work very hard to make every guest experience a memorable one. We look forward to your next visit

Reviewed 15 December 2012

We were looking for something scenic yet convenient to restaurants and nightlife. The Best Western was the perfect choice for us. Check in and check out was very smooth with the front desk staff very pleasant and accomodating. The room was very nice, clean and quiet. The view of the water was perfect in the morning. The breakfast was very nice and choices for every diet.
I would highly recommend staying at the hotel. The only hold back for me was the pet friendly option, however, I didn't notice any remnants of previous pets in the room.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are nice.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
jackiehodge, General Manager at Best Western Plus Coastline Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2012

We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and I greatly appreciate your nice comments on the hotel and the staff. We look forward to your next visit and in regards to our accepting pets, if your concern is getting a non pet room, please make a note of it on your reservation and we will make sure you are put in a room that no pet has been. Merry Christmas!!!

Reviewed 2 December 2012

After reading most of the Trip Advisor reviews on pet friendly hotels in the area, I decided to treat myself and my Best friend/Yorkshire Terrier to an UPGRADE. I usually stay on Market Street or closer to the beach and spend less than $100.00's because I don't spend much time in the room. This time of year with it being cool outside I took advantage of the delicious breakfast and beautiful view as I lingered in the comfy King size bed. I've been coming here for years but never stayed at this wonderful hotel. I was impressed by the friendly and professional staff of the front desk. I had read about Jason repeatedly in the reviews, I figured he had to be an older experienced gentleman, but to my surprise this young man turned out to be wise beyond his years! I spoke to him on the phone before I arrived and he quickly booked my reservation and agreed not to charge my card in case I had to cancel or push out my arrival date, HOW REFRESHING! I hate when hotels make you charge the first night if under a 24 hour booking. Jason gave very good directions and suggestions of where to eat and things to do. The other people were nice too, just didn't have that much face time with them. I hope upper management is taking good care of there exemplary employees, They make a big difference between a good hotel and a great hotel! This hotel was great in EVERY WAY! Awesome quite location, fantastic view, very clean, great linens, beautiful grounds with their own dock/pier, and walking distance to many great restaurants and venues. Thankfully they were pet friendly, or I would not have stayed here. The doggie treat bag was a nice touch, as was the doggie station outside for quick disposals/cleanliness. I guess my only suggestion would be do away with the pet fee of $20.00 per nite, especially when my room was already charging for two people, and I was traveling alone. You would get more business in the long run, because a lot of people will never get to experience your AWESOME hotel because of that extra fee, I almost did't! Glad I did, and I'll be back!

Room Tip: Pets are only allowed on the first floor, but I would suggest an upper floor so you can leave your d...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
jackiehodge, General Manager at Best Western Plus Coastline Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2012

Thank you for the great comments on the hotel and on Josh. Josh is an exemplary employee and he treats every guest as if he has known them for years. I am also glad to read that after visiting Wilmington several times that you decided to stay downtown and stay with our beautiful hotel. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.