“Worst Experience Ever”

Ranked #8 of 44 Hotels in Wilmington
Greensboro, NC
“Worst Experience Ever”
Reviewed 7 April 2013

I had reserved a king suite for April 5-7 on March 18. After driving 3.5 hours we arrive at 7pm to check in. I booked a king suite because my boyfriend and myself were taking my mother away for a weekend since she was visiting and this room offered a river view and 2 bed options with added space. Upon checking in we were told that it looks like the previous guest has not checked out yet. The desk clerk leaves for about 10 min to go check the room, comes back and tells us that the guests are still there and they are going to stay another night. I'm extremely confused at this point. I don't work for a hotel but I've stayed in enough through personal and work travel to know that you can't even get a late checkout if someone else has your room reserved that day. The hotel is booked solid so the desk rep tells us he is going to send us to another hotel down the street (that has no affiliation with BW) and they will pay for our first night. Our whole 2 days should have been comped instead of 1 night, that would have been the least that could of been done. He told us it also had a river view and would definitely have 2 bed options like we had reserved here. He then told us we could check back tomorrow to see if our room was available. I told him he needed to make sure whenever he was sending us had both nights available because I wasn't hotel hopping for a 2 night stay. He told us this other hotel would be cheaper for us too. If I were looking for cheaper I wouldn't have booked the king suite. I had to wait in the car and allow my boyfriend and mother to finish up as I was beyond in shock and angry over what was happening. We drove to the new inn with the letter from the hotel asking them to be billed for the first night. We were told it had a river view, it didn't - it was 2 blocks up and our view was an ally or buildings. We were told it would have 2 bed options, it didn't - my boyfriend ended up sleeping on a non-pull out short couch. The hotel clerk at the inn said this had happened before. I didn't know hotel departure dates were floating, especially when the hotel is booked solid. How was this not checked before 7pm? I would of thought protocol would be to tell the previous guests to leave and clean the room as quickly as possible. My only regret was that in my shock and anger I did not ask to see a manager. However in hindsight, the clerk should of gotten one after what happened. Never in my life have I heard of this happening.

Stayed April 2013
jackiehodge, General Manager at Best Western Plus Coastline Inn, responded to this review, 9 April 2013
I cannot say enough on how sorry I am about the situation your incurred upon your arrival on Friday! Per our conversation today, its not often that we have this type of situation occur but when we do I expect my staff to handle the situation in a better manner than how you explained to me. Please know that this is not something that happens very often. We thrive on giving good customer service and we obviously missed the mark in this situation. I am sending you the gift certificate we discussed and again I am truly sorry for what happened.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Madison, New Jersey
Reviewed 4 April 2013

Spent an overnight while visiting Wilmington to see the USS North Carolina. Staff was good and parking was easy. Hoped the room might have a balcony to enjoy the Cape Fear River...no go. The rooms are small....had two queen beds, a writing desk and a narrow table with the TV. No chairs...not enough space. Bathroom was nicely laid out with a "rain forest" shower head.

A complimentary breakfast is set up in a room on the 3rd floor. Sufficiently unimpressed enough to pass it by. There are some excellent seafood restaurants about a 5" drive down Front Street.
The historic heart of town has some lovely homes overlooking the river.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
jackiehodge, General Manager at Best Western Plus Coastline Inn, responded to this review, 8 April 2013
We are so glad that you decided to stay with our hotel during your recent layover into Wilmington. I'm sorry that the room did not meet your expectations during your stay. Our rooms are very quaint and we have different furnishings in each type of room. I hope that if you are ever in our area again you will book your reservation with us. We greatly appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2013

Can't believe how little they charged for this hotel compared to others I've stayed in, to start the staff were so welcoming, asking me about my travels and what brought me to Wilmington, they're so proud of their town. My room was excellent, modern and clean - I can imagine that the exterior corridors would be cold in winter, but in September they were fine, that lovely warm weather. The view from my room was worth the room. Fee alone, beautiful view of the pier and the river.
The stroll along the river walk to downtown Wilmington was lovely. Breakfast was basic, but a great choice of hot and cold food and drink. Cannot recommend this hotel more.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
We greatly appreciate your nice comments and I am so happy you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were able to enjoy the great weather and the ambience of the Historic district of downtown Wilmington. We look forward to your next stay.
Princeton
Reviewed 20 March 2013

We sometimes travel with the dog and as you can imagine, it limits our choice of lodging. Then too, I belong to a number of hotel chain clubs and like to take advantage of a bargain. The rate for the Best Western Plus looked good so I booked a night. Not really ure what was plus about it, though. Tiny rooms, scratchy linens, do-it-yourself parking and luggage service and the free breakfast was just like something you'd pick up in the cases of a gas station store. Reminded me of a Motel Eight but not quite as nice. I'd recommend you spend a little more if you're spending time in Wilmington.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
jackiehodge, General Manager at Best Western Plus Coastline Inn, responded to this review, 21 March 2013
I'm sorry that we did not meet your expectations during your recent stay. If when you checked in you found that the room was too small you could have called the front desk and I'm sure they could have moved you into one of our suites. My staff works very hard to accommodate all of our guest and to make their stay and enjoyable one. I will share your comments with my staff and we will work on making improvements.
Concord, North Carolina
Reviewed 18 March 2013

Stayed St. Pat's weekend 2013. There was an outdoor expo going on and no parking places. We arrived early and needed a place to leave our car. One of the ladies at the counter was going for lunch and she gave us her parking place. The other one was very helpful in giving us maps and information about the area. We were in walking distance of anything we wanted to do. The only time we moved the car in two days was to watch my daughter run in a race near Wrightsville Beach. Would stay again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
jackiehodge, General Manager at Best Western Plus Coastline Inn, responded to this review, 19 March 2013
I am so glad you enjoyed your stay in Wilmington and that you selected our hotel. You could not ask for better weather this past weekend and its always exciting to have new guest stay with us. We are tucked away downtown and many people have no idea we are downtown. Please come back and visit us again should you make your way back to Wilmington
Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 15 March 2013

I rolled in very late on Saturday Mar 9 on my motorcycle. Was there on business but did not look very good after a long chilly ride.
The Young Man at the desk was very sharp! He checked me in very quickly, and cheerfully.
He then went outside, and moved HIS OWN motorcycle so I could have best best parking spot in the lot. I did not ask for that.....he just did it!!!!
The room was great, and all the staff seemed great. Room fronted the river, and it is so close to everything like convention center, and Front Street .....I will be there again soon with my Wife.
This Hotel understands how it should be done!!!! Good job!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
jackiehodge, General Manager at Best Western Plus Coastline Inn, responded to this review, 18 March 2013
Thank you for selecting our hotel. Best Western is working with Harley Davidson to attract more motor cycle riders to our properties. We are a little off the beaten path but once folks find us we are a diamond in the ruff. The desk clerk that assisted you has been with us for several years and he always goes out of his way to accommodate. We look forward to your next stay
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 14 March 2013 via mobile

Every room has a beautiful view of the river. The staff were friendly, helpful, and personable. The Clean, comfortable room was pleasant. Definitely would return another time. Thats really all I have to say but trip advisor is making me get to 200 characters.

• Stayed March 2013
I am so glad you enjoyed your recent stay with us. The Cape Fear River is so nice to see especially on a nice sunny day. We look forward to your next stay.