“Had everything except a pool”

Best Western Plus Coastline Inn
Ranked #8 of 44 Hotels in Wilmington
morristown, NJ
“Had everything except a pool”
Reviewed 10 April 2013

Just spent 3 nights at this hotel in downtown Wilmington. Staff was helpful and nice. Room was very clean and comfortable. THere was a nice big flatscreen TV and a fabulous river view.
A bit far from the action on the waterfront. Not as close as advertised. Continental breakfast was just fair but acceptable. Expected at least some good fresh fruit for the price of the hotel. Really wish the hotel had an indoor or outdoor pool. Internet was free and quick. Probably would stay at wrightville beach next time. If you need to be downtown this is a fine place.

Room Tip: All seem to be good
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
jackiehodge, General Manager at Best Western Plus Coastline Inn, responded to this review, 11 April 2013
Thank you so much for the great comments. As for the pool, I have done everything possible to have the City check different areas around the property and it looks like it will never happen. So many old gas and water lines and other things in the ground. Maybe one day we will build an addition. We certainly appreciate your patronage of the hotel and we look forward to your next visit

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Chapel Hill, NC
Reviewed 9 April 2013

Perfect location, right on the river walk and a couple blocks from the historic district. Our room had a scenic view of the river (apparently all the rooms do). A full breakfast is included (with eggs, waffles, sausages, etc.): we ate so much we skipped lunch! Our room had a large shower stall with room for at least three people! Very friendly staff. We'll stay here next time we visit Wilmington.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
jackiehodge, General Manager at Best Western Plus Coastline Inn, responded to this review, 10 April 2013
We greatly appreciate your great comments about the hotel and my staff. We are nestled away from the hustle and bustle and guest really love our ambiance. Thanks again and we look forward to your next stay
Durham, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 7 April 2013

If you are traveling with dogs (especially ones that aren't "purse" size), just go ahead and pay the extra fees to stay here as opposed to other places in Wilmington. Most of the "pet friendly" locations are on busy streets and have size restrictions. This hotel is in a great location. Not near traffic (my dogs do not understand danger of cars) and its right on the Riverwalk so you can take a nice long walk to tire out the fur kid(s). The staff seems to welcome furry guests and they do their best to put you in a first floor room so you are close to the grass areas. They have two potty bag stations and nice benches right next to the river to sit and relax. Lots of other guests with dogs stay here so you won't feel like you are annoying other guests. I will stay here from now on when planning overnights in Wilmington. Yes the rooms are maybe a little small but the view and sunset over the river more than makes up for it. Its a little more than some other hotels that allow pets but compared to other downtown hotels this was a pretty good deal.

Room Tip: First floor rooms have easy access to grassy areas.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Jennifer A
jackiehodge, General Manager at Best Western Plus Coastline Inn, responded to this review, 8 April 2013
Thank you so much for the great comments. We started accepting pets early last year and so far it has been a hit! Guest and their pets love the riverfront and quiet area to walk in. We look forward to your next visit.
Greensboro, NC
Reviewed 7 April 2013

I had reserved a king suite for April 5-7 on March 18. After driving 3.5 hours we arrive at 7pm to check in. I booked a king suite because my boyfriend and myself were taking my mother away for a weekend since she was visiting and this room offered a river view and 2 bed options with added space. Upon checking in we were told that it looks like the previous guest has not checked out yet. The desk clerk leaves for about 10 min to go check the room, comes back and tells us that the guests are still there and they are going to stay another night. I'm extremely confused at this point. I don't work for a hotel but I've stayed in enough through personal and work travel to know that you can't even get a late checkout if someone else has your room reserved that day. The hotel is booked solid so the desk rep tells us he is going to send us to another hotel down the street (that has no affiliation with BW) and they will pay for our first night. Our whole 2 days should have been comped instead of 1 night, that would have been the least that could of been done. He told us it also had a river view and would definitely have 2 bed options like we had reserved here. He then told us we could check back tomorrow to see if our room was available. I told him he needed to make sure whenever he was sending us had both nights available because I wasn't hotel hopping for a 2 night stay. He told us this other hotel would be cheaper for us too. If I were looking for cheaper I wouldn't have booked the king suite. I had to wait in the car and allow my boyfriend and mother to finish up as I was beyond in shock and angry over what was happening. We drove to the new inn with the letter from the hotel asking them to be billed for the first night. We were told it had a river view, it didn't - it was 2 blocks up and our view was an ally or buildings. We were told it would have 2 bed options, it didn't - my boyfriend ended up sleeping on a non-pull out short couch. The hotel clerk at the inn said this had happened before. I didn't know hotel departure dates were floating, especially when the hotel is booked solid. How was this not checked before 7pm? I would of thought protocol would be to tell the previous guests to leave and clean the room as quickly as possible. My only regret was that in my shock and anger I did not ask to see a manager. However in hindsight, the clerk should of gotten one after what happened. Never in my life have I heard of this happening.

Stayed April 2013
jackiehodge, General Manager at Best Western Plus Coastline Inn, responded to this review, 9 April 2013
I cannot say enough on how sorry I am about the situation your incurred upon your arrival on Friday! Per our conversation today, its not often that we have this type of situation occur but when we do I expect my staff to handle the situation in a better manner than how you explained to me. Please know that this is not something that happens very often. We thrive on giving good customer service and we obviously missed the mark in this situation. I am sending you the gift certificate we discussed and again I am truly sorry for what happened.
Madison, New Jersey
Reviewed 4 April 2013

Spent an overnight while visiting Wilmington to see the USS North Carolina. Staff was good and parking was easy. Hoped the room might have a balcony to enjoy the Cape Fear River...no go. The rooms are small....had two queen beds, a writing desk and a narrow table with the TV. No chairs...not enough space. Bathroom was nicely laid out with a "rain forest" shower head.

A complimentary breakfast is set up in a room on the 3rd floor. Sufficiently unimpressed enough to pass it by. There are some excellent seafood restaurants about a 5" drive down Front Street.
The historic heart of town has some lovely homes overlooking the river.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
We are so glad that you decided to stay with our hotel during your recent layover into Wilmington. I'm sorry that the room did not meet your expectations during your stay. Our rooms are very quaint and we have different furnishings in each type of room. I hope that if you are ever in our area again you will book your reservation with us. We greatly appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2013

Can't believe how little they charged for this hotel compared to others I've stayed in, to start the staff were so welcoming, asking me about my travels and what brought me to Wilmington, they're so proud of their town. My room was excellent, modern and clean - I can imagine that the exterior corridors would be cold in winter, but in September they were fine, that lovely warm weather. The view from my room was worth the room. Fee alone, beautiful view of the pier and the river.
The stroll along the river walk to downtown Wilmington was lovely. Breakfast was basic, but a great choice of hot and cold food and drink. Cannot recommend this hotel more.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
We greatly appreciate your nice comments and I am so happy you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were able to enjoy the great weather and the ambience of the Historic district of downtown Wilmington. We look forward to your next stay.
Princeton
Reviewed 20 March 2013

We sometimes travel with the dog and as you can imagine, it limits our choice of lodging. Then too, I belong to a number of hotel chain clubs and like to take advantage of a bargain. The rate for the Best Western Plus looked good so I booked a night. Not really ure what was plus about it, though. Tiny rooms, scratchy linens, do-it-yourself parking and luggage service and the free breakfast was just like something you'd pick up in the cases of a gas station store. Reminded me of a Motel Eight but not quite as nice. I'd recommend you spend a little more if you're spending time in Wilmington.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
jackiehodge, General Manager at Best Western Plus Coastline Inn, responded to this review, 21 March 2013
I'm sorry that we did not meet your expectations during your recent stay. If when you checked in you found that the room was too small you could have called the front desk and I'm sure they could have moved you into one of our suites. My staff works very hard to accommodate all of our guest and to make their stay and enjoyable one. I will share your comments with my staff and we will work on making improvements.