“a little crowded”

Ranked #8 of 44 Hotels in Wilmington
Fuquay Varina
“a little crowded”
Reviewed 3 June 2013

My husband and I stayed one night here and we thought the room was a little small and the bathroom lacked counter space to place things on. There was just not much space to move around in and the amenities were not much considering the price we paid!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
jackiehodge, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Coastline Inn, responded to this review, 5 June 2013
I'm sorry that the room did not meet your necessary space requirements. We just replaced the bathroom vanities this past year and with the necessary amenity requirements I'm sure that the space may have seemed a little limited. We take great pride in our hotel and we are always working on making improvements. I hope that you will come back to visit us again and to meet your space requirements you may want to book a suite, as they are a much larger room and are located on the south corner of the property and offers a view from two sides of the river.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Fairfax, VA
Reviewed 27 May 2013

My husband & I stayed here for 2 nights. I felt lucky to get a room since it was the weekend of a soccer tournament. I booked a king room by phoning since there didn't appear to be any rooms available through the website. The bed was comfortable & the pillows were OK. The room had 2 night stands, a dresser, desk & chair, a flat screen TV and 2 sm. closets (1 with shelves), an iron, ironing board, ice bucket and hairdryer. We had a very nice view of the river and it was quiet.

The bathroom had a terrific walk in shower with a rain shower head, 1 sink and lots of towels. There was no tub. The AC was a wall unit and not my favorite type since the air would blow on you as you slept.

The front desk personnel were very helpful & pleasant the entire weekend. We were able to get a map of the downtown area that showed the location of many restaurants. The front desk has many chilled beverages for sale including beer & wine. I believe you can also purchase snacks too.

Breakfast is included & is the standard type breakfast that hotels provide. There were cereals, oatmeal, fresh fruit, yogurt, muffins, bagels, toast, scrambled eggs, hard boiled eggs, sausage, waffles, juices & coffee to chose from. The inside eating area is a bit small. However, there are some tables outside.

The Coastline is in a good location at the end of the Riverwalk & next to the visitor's center. The train museum is nearby too & a nice place to visit with young children.

When our room was serviced by the cleaning staff, they did a good job with cleaning but lowered the air conditioner to the very lowest setting. So when we got back hours later, the room was quite cold. It would be fine for them to lower the setting but they need to remember to reset the thermostat before they leave. I am not a fan of super cold rooms. Otherwise, it was a good stay.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Virginia2002
jackiehodge, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Coastline Inn, responded to this review, 29 May 2013
I am so glad you were able to call the hotel and reserve a room during the weekend of the soccer tournament. Thank so much for the great comments and I am glad the staff took good care of you and your husband. We are always working on improving the amenities and the experience for our guest. We look forward to seeing you again soon
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Reviewed 23 May 2013

Thank You Coastline Inn for a wonderful stay! My husband and I were just there for a long weekend and we loved your hotel! It is so beautiful the way it is set up with the outdoors around you! Love the gated look and the riverfront walk. The staff/service was excellent and the rooms were beautiful! I read reviews about people complaining that the rooms were small, and they are, compared to other rooms. But with the river walk and Historic Wilmington around you, how much time is spent in your room? And it really was the perfect size for my husband and myself! Just perfect! I was so glad we booked with your hotel and none of the other area hotels we had on the list! We’ll be back on our next trip to Wilmington!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
I am so happy you enjoyed your recent stay with us and that my staff made your stay even better. Being downtown and on the riverfront makes for such a great weekend get away. I will be sharing your comments with my staff and we look so forward to your next stay
Indian Trail, North Carolina
Reviewed 28 April 2013

I booked 3 rooms for 2 nights each. Was quoted a price of $98 a night with AARP discount. Upon review of the bill from home, I called the hotel and could not get any satisfaction. I told the girl that I was quoted $98 a night and she told me no one would quote that price. Could not get any satisfaction. E-mailed Best Western and am waiting for a response.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
jackiehodge, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Coastline Inn, responded to this review, 30 April 2013
I am very sorry that you feel your rate was misquoted during your recent stay and per my response yesterday, I set the rates for the hotel a year in advance and the rates for the weekends beginning in April thru October are $189 per night. Our weekday rates fluctuate daily depending on the occupancy for any given day and the Thursday night rate was $98.10 but the rate for Friday night was $170.10 and the person that took the reservation was our Guest Service Manager who has been with us for over 3 years. Again I am truly sorry and we hope you will come back and visit us again.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2013

Wilmington was just a stopover for us and we arrived in the dark on a very rainy day so probably not great first impressions as we went up in the lift to the floor of our room - in what looked a little like a UK low rise block of flats from the 70s, with every room door opening to the open air corridor. However, room was decent sized, very clean and the hotel in a good downtown location. No complaints but not sure I'd stay again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
jackiehodge, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Coastline Inn, responded to this review, 25 April 2013
I'm sorry that the weather was not cooperative during your short visit to Wilmington. Our hotel is very quaint and our location is the place to be. We look forward to your next stay and we do appreciate your business.
High Point, NC
Reviewed 19 April 2013

The Coastline Inn is a nice place with great view of the river and convenient to walking downtown and along the riverfront. I have stayed here for years, and was in town for a convention at the Wilmington Convention Center next door. It is great for that since you can just walk over without having to pay for parking, and you can slip back over to your room easily to take a break.

They have made improvements since I started staying here, most notably a remodel and freshening of the rooms, and they now offer a hot breakfast that was included. The bed was very comfortable, and I got two good night's sleep. The shower is a bit different with only a half-glass enclosure, the other half just open, and the shower has a rainfall head coming straight down from the ceiling.

I will definitely stay at the Coastline again when I am back in town.

Room Tip: The suites on the far left side of the building are the best, and have the nicest view
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
jackiehodge, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Coastline Inn, responded to this review, 22 April 2013
Its always a pleasure to have return guest come back and notice the great changes we have been making. We are so glad you came back and that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to your next stay
Greenville, NC
Reviewed 19 April 2013

I stayed here many, many times years ago on business. Had a reason to stay in WIlmington on personal trip, decided to see what it was like. I loved it in 1990's and, if anything, it is better. Rooms have been completely refurbished, still has wonderful riverfront views, get the corner suite for more space and more windows to watch the boats and the sunsets. Breakfast from 6:30 to 10 AM, waffles and the usual continental choices. Located on city's riverwalk, pets allowed in certain rooms for extra charge. You can easily walk to downtown galleries, bars and restaurants. Across the river from the USS North Carolina. My suite had full sitting room with separate flat screen TV, second phone and more city views.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Its always nice to read comments from a past guest. We have done many improvements in the past few years and we still have a few things left to do. We certainly are glad you came back to visit us and we look forward to your next stay