“Great price! Great stay...Don't see the problem”

America's Best Inn & Suites Wilmington
Ranked #43 of 45 Hotels in Wilmington
Reviewed 20 January 2008

Not sure why some people are complaining about this hotel. It was nice and quiet. It looks as though they have recently renovated and maybe under new mngt because we had a very pleasant stay here and will stay here again the next time we are in town. No problems with this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ncsu96

Reviewed 13 May 2007

I called this place (I can't bring myself to call it a hotel or a motel) two months ago to make reservations for our family because my son was graduating from UNCW.

We have always stayed at Choice Hotels, not only because my mother-in-law has been a head housekeeper and housekeeper manager for the past 16 years for them, but also because we have never had a nasty room or unfriendly service.

When I called to make the reservations, I specifically asked four non-smoking rooms (we DON'T smoke) for two nights and for ALL of them to have refridgerators and microwaves. I also asked if the pool would be ready because we were going to have children with us. I also asked for the state employee rate. I was told the rooms WOULD be non-smoking, that they WOULD have refridgerators and microwaves and the pool WOULD be ready.

I called back two weeks ago to cancel one of the rooms and again asked about the rate, the refridgerators and microwaves and about the pool. I was told the rooms WOULD be ready as requested and that I would be getting the state employee rate.

Our problems started AFTER check-in. My eleven year old daughter walked in the room first, came right back out and wanted to go somewhere else! Our room reeked of smoke. I immediately called the front desk and asked to be moved to a different room. I was told they were booked and I couldn't switch rooms. I asked for some type of deodorizer and was denied.

The rooms had many problems, but I'm listing just a few:
1. ALL of the rooms were smoking rooms;
7. One room didn't have mircowave;
8. One bathroom had a tub with black smudges on the bottom of it;
9. One bathroom had a tub with cockroaches in it;
10. ALL of the bathrooms only had a half of a roll of toilet paper;
11. One bathroom had a shrieking fan... the longer the light stayed on, the louder the shrieking;
12. There were no outlets in the bathrooms;
13. The carpet in ALL of the rooms was filthy;
14. Peeling paint and mold in the rooms and the closets;
15. One of the phones could only dial to other rooms.

I called the front desk about 20 minutes after the first call to let them know of the problems and was told to call back the next morning to speak to the manager.

The next morning, I called the manager and told her about the problems. She said that not all rooms had refridgerators and microwaves. I commented that the website stated differently and that I was told, upon making the reversations that we would have them. She said someone would come to the rooms to see to the problems. I was also told I could check out and go to another hotel but would be charged for the rooms for both nights. (By the way, when I went to post this, I looked back at their webpage and noticed changes to it... including the amenities.)

We left after the phone call we went to graduation. We returned within four hours and NOTHING had changed. My mother-in-law asked for more toilet tissue and towels, but was denied!

We left again and returned around 6:00 PM. The only change in the room was that a bed had been made. There was no toilet tissue and the lights still didn't work!

The next morning I called the front desk and asked for toilet tissue and a clean towel. The front desk clerk brought them to us immediately and apologized for the inconvenience.

When we went to check out, we were informed the manager had denied any discounted rates, inclunding the state employee rate I had been quoted TWICE and the AARP discount my mother-in-law had requested.

There were two bright spots to this weekend: the front desk clerk, Josh, who was very apologetic for the rooms and knowing we wouldn't have to EVER come to this place again!

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with family
5  Thank MSHEADCOACH06
Reviewed 19 February 2007

Stayed in Jan and had a great stay. Not sure why others had problems, but I did not incur any. Staff was friendly, rate was fine, room looked to be recently renovated and the grounds were very clean. Stayed 3 nights visiting family in Wilmington and staff was great with directions, restauratant advise, etc. Would stay here again. Very quiet and peaceful hotel.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ashridgedr
Reviewed 26 November 2006

I and a friend stayed here.There are no sticky strips on the floor of the tub,my friend fell in the shower. 2 towels ,only were in our room. beds are worn out. someone kept coming in our room turning off the lights and the tv, everytime we left our room. bums would walk up to us asking for money. The grounds are very neat and clean i will give them that. We did not even stay the last nite, and they would not refund our monies. I say to you, stay close to the city of Wilmington, more money but it will be worth it in the long run, i want to be safe when out of town.its good to have a website like this.

d g.
po bx 3002
myrtle beach,sc 29578-3002

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled with friends
3  Thank rodario
Reviewed 22 April 2006

The hotel was pretty much a dump, not any problems with the service. At about 4 a.m. the night we were sleeping, our car alarm went off. My fiance went outside to check it out, there were some people hanging out, but nothing too suspicious. The next day, we were driving home and got a flat, assumed that we had just ran over something. Took the car in to get the tires changed and it turns out the other tire on that side of the car had an identical slash. This hotel is seriously lacking security and is not recommended.

• Stayed: April 2006
12  Thank anonymous228
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 20 September 2005

I am still in shock that this motel made it to the listing and laughing too.
I visited a friend staying there and it is a hole in the wall. The prices I've seen lately on the Internet are ridiculous. I am from Wilmington and believe me this hotel has a history. Unsafe area. Unsafe guests. Very Dirty.

• Stayed: April 2005, travelled on business
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Wilmington, N.C.
Reviewed 19 September 2005

While staying at the Econo Lodge in Wilmington NC with 3 of my close friends after a birthday party, we came across the Econo Lodge and decided to stay there since it was cheap prices and the rooms did not look too bad, but we didn't want to have to drive 4 hours back home. We woke up in the morning to a prostotute outside our door banging on it. We finally got her to leave and i went to the front desk to use the phone to make an emergency phone call to a friend. The desk lady let me use the phone, and i got off quickley. I guess the so called manager guy came out and yelled at me for making an emergency phone call and told me to "get [--] out of his building", then right after the tropical storm hit here it was still windy outside, i opened the door and the wind blew the door back in, he came out and started cursing rudley and yelling at me for slamming his door. I just walked away after paying, but i would seriously advise anyone to not stay at this hotel if you are coming to visit Wilmington!!! You will never know what will show up on your door step in the morning or how you will be treated even by the mananger!

• Stayed: September 2005