“DO NOT STAY HERE, NOT SAFE”

America's Best Inn & Suites Wilmington
Ranked #43 of 44 Hotels in Wilmington
myrtle beach, south carolina
“DO NOT STAY HERE, NOT SAFE”
Reviewed 26 November 2006

I and a friend stayed here.There are no sticky strips on the floor of the tub,my friend fell in the shower. 2 towels ,only were in our room. beds are worn out. someone kept coming in our room turning off the lights and the tv, everytime we left our room. bums would walk up to us asking for money. The grounds are very neat and clean i will give them that. We did not even stay the last nite, and they would not refund our monies. I say to you, stay close to the city of Wilmington, more money but it will be worth it in the long run, i want to be safe when out of town.its good to have a website like this.

d g.
po bx 3002
myrtle beach,sc 29578-3002

• Liked — clean grounds
  • Disliked — not friendly very rude staff all shifts
  • Tips/Secrets — stay near to downtown
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
3 Thank rodario

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
anywhere
Reviewed 22 April 2006

The hotel was pretty much a dump, not any problems with the service. At about 4 a.m. the night we were sleeping, our car alarm went off. My fiance went outside to check it out, there were some people hanging out, but nothing too suspicious. The next day, we were driving home and got a flat, assumed that we had just ran over something. Took the car in to get the tires changed and it turns out the other tire on that side of the car had an identical slash. This hotel is seriously lacking security and is not recommended.

• Stayed April 2006
12 Thank anonymous228
Reviewed 20 September 2005

I am still in shock that this motel made it to the listing and laughing too.
I visited a friend staying there and it is a hole in the wall. The prices I've seen lately on the Internet are ridiculous. I am from Wilmington and believe me this hotel has a history. Unsafe area. Unsafe guests. Very Dirty.

• Stayed April 2005, travelled on business
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 19 September 2005

While staying at the Econo Lodge in Wilmington NC with 3 of my close friends after a birthday party, we came across the Econo Lodge and decided to stay there since it was cheap prices and the rooms did not look too bad, but we didn't want to have to drive 4 hours back home. We woke up in the morning to a prostotute outside our door banging on it. We finally got her to leave and i went to the front desk to use the phone to make an emergency phone call to a friend. The desk lady let me use the phone, and i got off quickley. I guess the so called manager guy came out and yelled at me for making an emergency phone call and told me to "get [--] out of his building", then right after the tropical storm hit here it was still windy outside, i opened the door and the wind blew the door back in, he came out and started cursing rudley and yelling at me for slamming his door. I just walked away after paying, but i would seriously advise anyone to not stay at this hotel if you are coming to visit Wilmington!!! You will never know what will show up on your door step in the morning or how you will be treated even by the mananger!

• Stayed September 2005
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 20 June 2005

My husband, my mother, and I recently stayed in an Econo Lodge at 2929 Market Street in Wilmington, NC. We have been frequent guests at Econo Lodges throughout the United States and have always been able to depend on them for cleanliness, reasonable rates, and friendly service. However, I am writing to inform you that we were very dissatisfied with our stay at this particular location. I want to inform you that, prior to writing this letter, we spoke with the management at the hotel and did not feel confident that the problems would be sufficiently addressed.

Upon entering our room, we were tempted to turn around, cancel our room reservation, and find another hotel. However, it was late, and we were exhausted and needed to go to bed. The stench of urine was evident. We soon discovered that it was coming from two of the corners in the room. After turning the vent on to hopefully neutralize the odor, we stepped outside for a few minutes, only to smell urine coming out of the outside vent.

When we began to unload our clothes from our suitcases into the dresser drawers, we found that the bottom of the drawer was missing. My husband proceeded to take a shower, where he discovered that neither the drain in the sinks, nor the shower, worked sufficiently. He quickly washed but had to turn off the shower before the tub overflowed.

When we turned back our beds to lie down, we discovered pubic hairs and cigarette burns on the sheets.
We also noticed peeling and molded wallpaper, dirt balls hanging from the ceiling, profanity written in the nightstand drawer, a phone number scratched in the back of the door, and food chunks on the drapes.

Needless to say, we were appalled that we would be charged $90.00 for a room of such poor quality. We were unable to take a shower due to the dysfunctional drain and, therefore, felt filthy after having stayed in this room.

In the morning, we went to take advantage of the continental breakfast that the hotel offered. Just as we sat down to drink our coffee, we noticed a live roach on its back right in front of the breakfast bar. It was at this point that I felt we needed to report this situation. Not only was it an unpleasant experience, but these unsanitary conditions are unacceptable for a facility charging the public to stay there.

I am not typically a complainer, and I do not often write letters like this one. Nevertheless, I feel that it would be a disservice to future customers to neglect informing you of our experience. As a result of this experience, I am hesitant to make reservations with Econo Lodge again

34 Thank A TripAdvisor Member