“"Wilimington's Finest"”

Ranked #13 of 18 Wilmington B&B and Inns
Florence, South Carolina, United States
“"Wilimington's Finest"”
Reviewed 30 April 2012

This was by far, the best experience I have ever had at a B&B! Mrs. Sophie was like a mother to me! She doted on me, fed me the best food ever...and even welcomed my coker spaniel "Daisy" like she was part of the family. I loved the beautiful decor in the B&B and enjoyed my stay in Wilmington! I will definately be a repeat customer! Thanks to Mrs. Sophie for a fabulous weekend getaway!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Charlotte
Reviewed 28 June 2011

My husband and I have been to many bed and breakfasts across the southeast, and I have never felt compelled to write a review (bad or good) until my recent stay at the Port City Guest House in Wilmington. We were in town for a wedding and struggling to find a decent hotel that wasn’t super expensive when I came across this B&B. The reviews online were so good, I knew we had to give it a try. We were not disappointed. I was so impressed with the whole experience that it actually prompted me to write my first ever review.

From the second we walked in the door, Sophie made us feel right at home and went above and beyond the entire weekend to make sure we were 100% happy. On the first night, social hour turned into social evening as Sophie continued to bring out more and more goodies because all of the guests were having such a good time getting to know one another. We never made it to dinner because we were so full with all of the wonder treats!!! Breakfast was more of the same. The food was incredible and it just kept coming. Sophie wasn’t happy until we were sufficiently stuffed and rolling back to our room. She is a hoot!

On top of the service, which was beyond anything I would have expected, the B&B itself was great. Great location, fantastic overall house and very nice guest rooms. If you are going to Wilmington, you must stay here!

Room Tip: Try the green room!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed 27 June 2011

The thing that makes this B&B the best by far is Sophie. My friend and I were on a road trip to 20 states. Wilmington was amazing and Sophies B&B was by far the best place we stayed. It is like a slice of paradise. Sophie's home is huge and beautiful. The rooms are amazing with very comfy beds. The house is very traditional and just overall spectacular. When you come here you feel at home. The breakfast was fabulous and Sophies company and conversation made it even better. She is the epitome of hospitality. She offered snacks and tea and kept trying to feed us. Her dog Jake was great and it felt like he was part of the family. Our trip to Wilmington was unforgettable and no doubt it was because of Sophie. You are crazy if you do not chose this place!

Room Tip: Every room is awesome!
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
Philadelphia
Reviewed 7 October 2010

This B and B was in the heart of the Mansion District and in a great location to explore Wilmington and beyond. Sophie, the owner and innkeeper, could not do enough for us...she is the epitome of southern hospitality. We eat heart healthy and Sophie accomodated us royally...plus her treats and afternoon "tea" were very welcoming...she could not do enough for us....the rooms were very ample and some have a shared bath. Our room had the private bath and it was very roomy. The house was tastefully decorated and made us feel "right at home....cozy!"

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Utrecht
Reviewed 7 August 2010

The welcome in this 'bed and breakfast' inn was like a warm bath. Sophie gave us (family with a daughter of 16) an overwhelming array of drinks, sweets, fruits and other things. The rest of our stay (3 nights) were a true example of southern hospitality. Sophie was available whenever we needed her and she was discrete and caring. She gave us, fairytale-like rooms with all the modern comfort you need when there is a heat wave going on. The beds were very comfortable. We could use a microwave and a washing-machine. We are very grateful we found this lovely bed and breakfast. Sophie has a dog, Jake, who is greatly recommended by our daughter. We can surely recommend this B&B to everyone. The more, where the city of Wilmington is a hidden gem itself.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
greensboro nc
Reviewed 27 July 2010

This is probably THE most beautiful B&B i have ever stayed in. The house was huge, very clean, and beautifully decorated. Sophie, the owner was PERFECT....such a gracious lady. Would recommend this B&B to ANYONE visiting Wilmington.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
California
Reviewed 24 September 2009

My husband and I were originally supposed to check in some time in the morning. Unfortunately, some unexpected things came up and we ended up checking in some time past 10:30 in the evening. Honestly, we were afraid to call about how late we were going to be. When we called to let the B&B know, Sophie was extremely gracious about the whole thing and waited up for us. She was the perfect hostess for the entire weekend. Our room was beautiful, the house was tidy, Sophie was extremely helpful, and the food was excellent. We especially enjoyed her morning waffles! We didn’t have to worry about our car being parked on the street because they had parking in the back. Overall, it was quite a pleasant experience and we plan on staying at her B&B the next time we are in Wilmington. Happy traveling!

• Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple