“S'mac & Cheese... Smackin Good”

Wayfarer Delicatessen & Bistro
Ranked #112 of 691 Restaurants in Wilmington
Price range: US$8 - US$12
Cuisines: Cafe, Soups
Dining options: Delivery
Description: Our dream was to share our love for great food, good drinks, groovy music and the other good things in life with as many friends ~ old and new ~ as we could. ​ ​ (C) 2014 cmw management, llc. All rights reserved chef carey & ron our commitment to quality does not stop in our kitchen ~ we also have a wide variety of fantastic soft-drinks, a great choice of craft & domestic beer and an award-winning selection of wines. And don't forget our famous house-made sangria!This cozy, historic building (circa 1900) and quaint, historic downtown setting are perfect companions to these adventurous recipes from our families and from all over the world! So... Sit. Relax. Eat. Drink. Enjoy. The "wayfarer" concept allows us to culinarily travel the globe. Without the restrictions of a specific cuisine, we are free to explore and create food using the best ingredients and recipes we can find from cultures and food suppliers from all over the world.​We craft our roast beef, pork tenderloin and corned beef "in-house" and our meatloaf is made using a family recipe handed down from Chef Carey's beloved Mother. Our deli meats and cheeses are sourced from some of the best purveyors in the world, ensuring nothing but the finest quality. We make everything else from scratch, allowing our wonderful ingredients and carefully constructed recipes to speak for themselves. While we strive to provide quickly prepared quality meals and intuitive service, please note that we fresh-cut all of our meats and cheeses and make 100% of our menu items "as ordered", so please allow proper time for preparation.​Our commitment to quality does not stop in our kitchen ~ we also have a wide variety of fantastic soft-drinks, a great choice of craft & domestic beer and an award-winning selection of wines. And don't forget our famous house-made sangria! Our commitment to quality does not stop in our kitchen ~ we also have a wide variety of fantastic soft-drinks, a great choice of craft & domestic beer and an award-winning selection of wines. And don't forget our famous house-made sangria!This cozy, historic building (circa 1900) and quaint, historic downtown setting are perfect companions to these adventurous recipes from our families and from all over the world! So...
Baltimore, Maryland
“S'mac & Cheese... Smackin Good”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Great spot for upscale food in a casual spot. It is a cute, but tiny space so if you are in a hurry you might want to consider carryout or make a reservation. My husband and I did not have a reservation, but went in for a later lunch and had no problem getting seated. Sandwiches were made with fresh high quality ingredients and the bison s'mac & cheese was amazing. Worth popping in if you are in the area.

• Visited April 2014
Ron S, General Manager at Wayfarer Delicatessen & Bistro, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Thank you VERY much for your positive feedback! We really appreciate hearing from our customers and we are very pleased that you enjoyed your time at Wayfarer Deli & Bistro.

Hopefully, we'll see you back soon! In the meantime, you can check us out on Facebook or our website for ever-changing features and our famous bison burgers on Thursdays and Saturdays!

Wilmington, North Carolina
“Like visiting family”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

My husband and I are regulars at Wayfarer and always look forward to the experience. Besides the fabulous and fresh food, the atmosphere is always upbeat and pleasant. The patrons are everything from local business people to tourists to Wilmington's savvy foodies, artists and filmmakers -- people who like good food in an environment with a delightful bohemian style as its name suggests.

I ordered the Tuscan sandwich so often I asked the waitress to make sure I ordered something else the next time. She remembered me a couple of weeks later, reminded me I had asked her not to allow me to order the Tuscan and made suggestions. I'm so glad I ventured further into their menu offerings because everything is delicious. Fortunately there are still several paninis I haven't tried, so I'll have a reason to keep going back (if I needed one besides the excellent fare and attentive service!)

• Visited May 2014
wayfarerdeli, General Manager at Wayfarer Delicatessen & Bistro, responded to this review, 12 May 2014

Greensboro, North Carolina
“Absolutely Amazing!”
Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

My friends and I had been looking forward to trying Wayfarer after hearing the buzz about their famous bison burgers. Well, we finally made it in today for lunch and we could not have been happier! Even though we came for the bison burger, which wasn't available as they are only served on Thursdays and Saturdays, we were not at all disappointed! Everything was amazing! The food was to die for. We all ordered something different, and each of us completely cleaned our plates. We just couldn't stop! The place itself is small but I find it adds to it's appeal. Our server was incredibly friendly and helpful, as we're the owners who took a moment to speak with us before we left. The red sangria was amazing and I was thoroughly impressed with their craft beer selection. Overall, the experience was just perfect! We all enjoyed ourselves and plan on returning as often as we can! If I could give 10 stars I would!

• Visited May 2014

Chef Carey & Ron
“Am I using the bathroom or cooking my sandwich?”
Reviewed 26 April 2014

The food was good, the place was okay, but the service was terrible. For sure not #2 in Wilmington!!
We got there for a "family" lunch (5 people) and we had to wait around 15 min for the table (not too bad) but the waitress didn't even offered something to drink while we were waiting. We had some trouble trying to figure out the soup and sandwich of the day since she seemed like it was making us a favor by telling us. Then we had a question about the menus, why would we pay a side and get rid of the chips and whatever comes with the food instead of keeping it? Well she didn't like us being curious and pretty much stop answering us and put a non-professional face to one of us.
The food overall was nice but not a big deal.
The thing that bothered me the most was the fact that if not really paying attention you'll end up cooking other costumer's food instead of using the bathroom, since the kitchen door is wide open a couple inches away from the bathroom door, which is hard to see with all the boxes full of what I suppose will be my food. The left hand wall is completely covered by boxes... I don't want to see the can of tomatoes where you got my soup from.
I think with the right waitress it would have been a great meal but...

• Visited April 2014
Dear Delawwhere,

Thank you for your feedback - we really appreciate hearing from our customers. As your review is so completely different than others we normally receive, we are going to address each item in your review to ensure that other TripAdvisor.com users are made aware of the discrepancies.

As Wayfarer Deli & Bistro is only 750 square feet in size and our dining room seats only 12 people, we see and hear EVERY table as it is served, pay close attention to the way our waitstaff interacts with customers and engage with customers on a regular basis - and yours was no exception. We were aware of your presence from the time you walked in until the time you left. We can assure you that your service was exactly the same as every other table - which, as you can see in other reviews, is polite, friendly, highly professional, courteous and accurate.

You waited only approximately 6 minutes for your table during the peak service time of a busy lunch service... and we know that because we, the Owners, personally bussed, cleaned and reset the table for you and your party. This is the ONLY table in our restaurant that will accommodate more than 2 people. We reviewed security camera footage and noted the time you arrived and the time your table was ready.

Our Server clearly and succinctly explained the soup du jour and sandwich feature of the day to you THREE times during her initial visit to your table. She then explained them TWICE more to you upon returning to your table when you inquired about substituting one of our scratch-made side items for the chips that are served with the meal if you don't choose another substitute side item. It wasn't that you were "curious", but you clearly didn't understand that if you "upgrade" your side item from the chips that are included to any other side, there would be an up-charge, as is clearly stated five times on the menu. The other people in your party evidently understood this as they also tried to explain this to you numerous times without success.

We're not really sure how to address the "thing that bothered you the most", simply because is does not make any sense. Firstly, YOU don't cook food there - WE do. Our bathroom is clearly marked and is not "a couple inches away" from the kitchen – it is 13+ feet from where our kitchen begins. Because of Health Department regulations, it simply can't be “a couple inches away”. What IS next to the door to our bathroom is the door to our dish washing area, with NO food preparation areas remotely close.

The hallway leading to the bathroom complies with A.D.A. regulations and clearance minimums required by the Health Department, the Fire Department and county building codes. The hallway leading to the bathroom is 48" wide, is painted a bright white and is very well lit. The bathroom entrance is also well marked with a 32"w x 9"h black sign with metallic gold letters - clearly visible from even the front door of our restaurant.

The "boxes full of what you suppose will be your food" are, as is prominently marked on the exterior of every box, sodas, napkins, disposable plates, containers and plastic forks and knives for our take-out customers. Once again, due to Health Department regulations, food simply CANNOT be stored in an area accessible by the general public. And our soups are scratch-made daily from ONLY fresh ingredients, surely NOT from a can. It is unfortunate that you couldn't tell the difference.

In closing, we have noted that you rated our "food" and "value" as 4 stars and really only had issues with "atmosphere" and "service". We are more confused by your final statement, wherein you said, “I think with the right waitress, it could have been a great meal, but...”. How would a different waitress have changed the bathroom location, your confusion as to what was in the boxes in the hallway, the wait for a table, the location of the dish washing area and the other things you mentioned? It seems as if you simply did not have an understanding of the substitution of the side items and the related charges – much to the chagrin of even your family members.

Once again, we thank you for your review. We appreciate feedback from our customers, but what we don't appreciate is statements that are clearly untrue and misleading to other potential customers. Perhaps you will consider this before you compose your next review.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please contact me directly.

Warmest regards,

Ron Suriano

Wayfarer Deli & Bistro
110 South Front Street
Wilmington, NC 28401

Phone: (910) 762-4788
Email: ron@wayfarerdeli.com
“Best sandwich in town. ”
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

Three little pigs-my husband said it's the best sandwich he's ever had! The smac-and cheese is top notch, too. Cool atmosphere. Good service. No complaints!